IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Slight dilemma between two cars!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 04:05 PM
Lexusman25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight dilemma between two cars!

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and wanted to get some input on which car I should buy.
the two cars I'm really torn between are:
1. 2008 Lexus isf (100,000km)
2. Heavily modified 2004 is300(525whp!, 5 speed, 107,000km)

I will daily the car I choose and the commute for work is not that substantial, my question is which ride will be the better deal in terms of comfort power and reliability.
important to note the isf is 8,000$ more.

I test drive the isf and it was amazing unfortunately the is300 is 3 hours away so couldn't test drive it.
Old 01-21-19, 04:12 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

isf all day everyday, that 525 is going to blow up anytime, the roaring of the v8 , u can do FBO on isf and getting at least 410 to 420whp and call it a day i have had is300, is350 and to the ISF
Old 01-22-19, 12:09 AM
DarenSavag
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock HP is always better than modified HP. There are other differences between a modified IS 350 and an IS F that make all the difference. Don't settle for less. You will always wished you bought the IS F.
Old 01-22-19, 05:29 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

There is an ISF on this board with over 350k miles.... no boosted 525 whp 2JZ engine will do that without major maintenance. ISF all day. Plus it’s newer.
Old 01-22-19, 05:48 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
isf all day everyday, that 525 is going to blow up anytime, the roaring of the v8 , u can do FBO on isf and getting at least 410 to 420whp and call it a day i have had is300, is350 and to the ISF
525HP blow up anytime? Depends on the build and tune. If it's a GTE that's barely 20-22psi depending on setup on pump gas no where close to blowing up anytime. If it's a NA-T setup using stock GE vvti rods then yea more than likely at the limits of that setup but a good tuner will keep torque lower even on that setup. Even at 525 if you want more it's easy just turn up boost as long as trans can support. To get more power on the ISF after FBO need to go S/C or spray.

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
There is an ISF on this board with over 350k miles.... no boosted 525 whp 2JZ engine will do that without major maintenance. ISF all day. Plus it’s newer.
525HP is nothing for a boosted 2JZ and no major maintenance is needed. 525HP is easily attainable on pump gas and stock injectors and stock ECU if it's a GTE. Maybe you need to do some research before posting those claims.

I get both of you rather the ISF and that's normal I'm a big ISF fan myself but stating 525HP is a struggle for a 2JZ is laughable.
Old 01-22-19, 10:00 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Just get the ISF and be happy with it , if u thinking getting ISF and boosting it u r getting a wrong car u can get SC and still very weak . U want power , only Godzilla will give u unlimited potential . Most of us already knew what we are getting with the ISF , FBO and tuned, most of us daily it . Some of us has weekend toys
Old 01-22-19, 10:22 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by plex
525HP blow up anytime? Depends on the build and tune. If it's a GTE that's barely 20-22psi depending on setup on pump gas no where close to blowing up anytime. If it's a NA-T setup using stock GE vvti rods then yea more than likely at the limits of that setup but a good tuner will keep torque lower even on that setup. Even at 525 if you want more it's easy just turn up boost as long as trans can support. To get more power on the ISF after FBO need to go S/C or spray.

525HP is nothing for a boosted 2JZ and no major maintenance is needed. 525HP is easily attainable on pump gas and stock injectors and stock ECU if it's a GTE. Maybe you need to do some research before posting those claims.

I get both of you rather the ISF and that's normal I'm a big ISF fan myself but stating 525HP is a struggle for a 2JZ is laughable.
I’m very familiar with the 2JZ capabilities. I’d never believe a 525 whp 2JZ will daily drive for 350k... please find any 2JZ with that power and mileage that has never been rebuilt and show us. If you can, I’ll eat my words.

My point is the reliability up to and past 350k. It wouldnt last that long if the power was actually utilized regularly.

FYI, I helped build an IS300 to boost it, complete with 2JZ GTE pistons and rods. Sadly the car was totaled before the turbo was put on. The issues with that platform and power are actually tranny and rear end. The rear can’t take that power unless built.

I like the 2JZ and IS300. But he said a daily driver. We also can’t assume it was built right, or how hard it has been ran and much boost it has seen. It could be complete garbage. The ISF is likely to be reliable for much longer.
Old 01-22-19, 10:45 AM
Ram3n
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to have a stage 3 Volvo S60R running around 22 psi, I loved the car and it was my daily but for me personally, I would not buy a heavily modified car when factors like longevity and reliability are in play. Mainly because when people modify cars, they are aiming for more power without thinking about the longevity/reliability, or comfort. (not all the time but most of the time from my experience) I realized after having the S60R, that power out of the factory is so much better than all the power you get from aftermarket products. I do not mean to bash aftermarket companies, but there is a reason OEM products/services cost more and it is because the companies have loads and loads of research and development behind their products. Having the Volvo, is actually what pushed me of buying the ISF as my next car cause I wanted 3 things: scarcity, reliability, and power.
Old 01-22-19, 11:08 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

I’m very familiar with the 2JZ capabilities. I’d never believe a 525 whp 2JZ will daily drive for 350k... please find any 2JZ with that power and mileage that has never been rebuilt and show us. If you can, I’ll eat my words.

My point is the reliability up to and past 350k. It wouldnt last that long if the power was actually utilized regularly.

FYI, I helped build an IS300 to boost it, complete with 2JZ GTE pistons and rods. Sadly the car was totaled before the turbo was put on. The issues with that platform and power are actually tranny and rear end. The rear can’t take that power unless built.

I like the 2JZ and IS300. But he said a daily driver. We also can’t assume it was built right, or how hard it has been ran and much boost it has seen. It could be complete garbage. The ISF is likely to be reliable for much longer.
I'm also very familiar with the 2jz platform, I know I won't find a setup with 350K making mid 500 at wheels to please you because people hardly drive them now because values went up. I actually know of one guy in DC that daily drives his Supra weather permitting and has 170K miles it's single turbo and he's on pump or E85 max power is mid 7's and minimum power is low 5's and has been that way since I've known him for over a decade, he did change turbos several times to take advantage of newer tech, his is a 6spd. I know of several other Supras that are BPU (mid 5's) with 100K plus miles majority want more power and go that route and they aren't daily drivers. I average 5K miles a year on my Supra if that. I'm mid 8's at the wheel on stock bottom end.

And you're right the weak link in non MKIV setups are the trans and rear. No idea what the details are on the setup that OP is looking at and that may be a factor. Swapping in a 3.26 rear helps but with W55 or W58 you're limited. Best bet would be R154 or the T56 option or V160/1. I still believe a mid 5XXHP setup would last that long (350K) even if you hit 22psi daily all depends on the tune but guess we will never know.

Out of the 2 I would go ISF, I have a 2nd Gen GS with 200K miles no where near power of Supra but it's been a solid setup. Drove a friend's modded ISF and loved it and considering replacing my GS with that or GSF.
Old 01-22-19, 01:40 PM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by plex
I'm also very familiar with the 2jz platform, I know I won't find a setup with 350K making mid 500 at wheels to please you because people hardly drive them now because values went up. I actually know of one guy in DC that daily drives his Supra weather permitting and has 170K miles it's single turbo and he's on pump or E85 max power is mid 7's and minimum power is low 5's and has been that way since I've known him for over a decade, he did change turbos several times to take advantage of newer tech, his is a 6spd. I know of several other Supras that are BPU (mid 5's) with 100K plus miles majority want more power and go that route and they aren't daily drivers. I average 5K miles a year on my Supra if that. I'm mid 8's at the wheel on stock bottom end.

And you're right the weak link in non MKIV setups are the trans and rear. No idea what the details are on the setup that OP is looking at and that may be a factor. Swapping in a 3.26 rear helps but with W55 or W58 you're limited. Best bet would be R154 or the T56 option or V160/1. I still believe a mid 5XXHP setup would last that long (350K) even if you hit 22psi daily all depends on the tune but guess we will never know.

Out of the 2 I would go ISF, I have a 2nd Gen GS with 200K miles no where near power of Supra but it's been a solid setup. Drove a friend's modded ISF and loved it and considering replacing my GS with that or GSF.
I personally believe that the mkIV Supra and 2Jz are the best built vehicle / engine of my lifetime to date when it comes to modifying cars. A very good local shop built an IS300 GTE engine single turbo with a T56 trans that made about 650,and I would have died to own it. It was relatively cheap, at around 17-20K... I can’t remember. I would have bought it, but I’m saving to build a big pole barn for a shop. It would have been an amazing toy that would have been reliable, but I would never daily it. Maybe I have had bad turbo experiences, but I have found them to be finicky. Perhaps you have had better luck. My MR2 turbo gave me many little issues, and eventually locked up due to a failed oil pump.

The ISF is a very reliable car in my experience. Definitely in the top 5 best built cars IMO.

whatever the OP chooses, it will be a good car. Just factor in the real world need of it running every day, and plan on potential costs of each platform. If finances are a factor, always go reliable first, fun second. You could also use that 8 grand to buy a daily if you really want the IS300.
Old 01-22-19, 01:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

My Supra has been on stands for the last two months waiting for me to finish installing a new oil pump. Seal pushed out and ground the back of the timing belt pulley while leaking oil all down the underside of the car. This is not uncommon despite the engine having a steady diet of Red Line 10w-30 ever since I got it in 1997. It has 250k km on the original build, but has never seen anything but OEM boost with original cats and disabled wastegate. BTW, this is the third new seal, so it definitely isn't the seal causing the problem.

Replacing the oil pump without pulling the engine is no small feat. I have already once resealed the upper and lower oil pans, so I know what I am into, but you'll definitely not call this a simple job.
Old 01-22-19, 04:53 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve got first hand experience in this, currently own an isf, second one, and got the current car after selling a gte swapped is300 with an r154. The car was great, made 520whp too actually and was a hoot to drive but each was great at different things. The is300 was fun but was difficult to daily drive compared to an isf. The level of refinement between the two is pretty far apart as I see it, and the isf is just such a more solid feeling car that does nearly everything well. 525hp is fun to romp but 99% of the time you don’t need it and you sacrifice a lot to the isf.
Old 01-22-19, 09:37 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
Just get the ISF and be happy with it , if u thinking getting ISF and boosting it u r getting a wrong car u can get SC and still very weak . U want power , only Godzilla will give u unlimited potential . Most of us already knew what we are getting with the ISF , FBO and tuned, most of us daily it . Some of us has weekend toys
Getting ISF S/C and still very weak really? RRRACING S/C 625hp/530whp 670hp/570whp StageII E70 Kit 770hp/652whp all day long, and there working on more hp and upgrading transmission to handle the additional hp/tq. They've just started boosting ISF its only been 3yrs. GTR's 11 yrs.

Yea you can get GTR to make more hp but at much higher cost to start with 2013 or 14 Low mileage GTR low 60's to high 60's add alpha 9 ams kit start at around 8k and go up to 100k if you want to make big #'s your going to pay to play. Don't blow transmissions or motor because now your really into big money.

Can you DD Modded GTR sure you can but for how much? And how much boost while DD it. Most of owner I know with modded GTR have street tune and race tune most street tunes range from 650whp to 750whp on track 800whp and up.

I'd take 650whp DD ISF not as common as GTR and for less money. You can always make GTR Faster than ISF. They start out as TT car and you can boost them to crazy numbers 2000 plus hp but at what cost.

"Only Godzilla will give you unlimited potential" Maybe 8yrs but not anymore its not big bad bogeyman it use to be. There are plenty of other badass cars out there now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Weapon F:
ISF4life (01-23-19), RRRacing (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 05:48 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Getting ISF S/C and still very weak really? RRRACING S/C 625hp/530whp 670hp/570whp StageII E70 Kit 770hp/652whp all day long, and there working on more hp and upgrading transmission to handle the additional hp/tq. They've just started boosting ISF its only been 3yrs. GTR's 11 yrs.

Yea you can get GTR to make more hp but at much higher cost to start with 2013 or 14 Low mileage GTR low 60's to high 60's add alpha 9 ams kit start at around 8k and go up to 100k if you want to make big #'s your going to pay to play. Don't blow transmissions or motor because now your really into big money.

Can you DD Modded GTR sure you can but for how much? And how much boost while DD it. Most of owner I know with modded GTR have street tune and race tune most street tunes range from 650whp to 750whp on track 800whp and up.

I'd take 650whp DD ISF not as common as GTR and for less money. You can always make GTR Faster than ISF. They start out as TT car and you can boost them to crazy numbers 2000 plus hp but at what cost.

"Only Godzilla will give you unlimited potential" Maybe 8yrs but not anymore its not big bad bogeyman it use to be. There are plenty of other badass cars out there now.
I think what he's saying is that the modding potential of the GTR is limitless depending on your pockets compared to the ISF which is now pushing the limits with S/C options. Of course the GTR is more expensive but for some people even a 770HP ISF is not enough maybe one day they will be setup for 1000HP and higher but again those numbers haven't been reached yet. My Supra is around 850 on stock bottom end and I'm among slowest with some of the guys I hang out with. I could go built motor but even if I do that more power isn't necessarily the goal I want a better range of power under the curve. I don't care for 1K HP numbers and hate the look of 15" whee/tire drag setups which would be needed to enjoy the power. Some people just want more power period and people I know with GTR's are all north of 1K at wheels.
Old 01-23-19, 05:50 AM
Jwconeil

I’d take the new GT500’s over GTR.... but that’s just me being weird!

Quick Reply: Slight dilemma between two cars!