IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tint removal, Re-defrost and no bueno.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 12:10 PM
stunts
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tint removal, Re-defrost and no bueno.

Just left a reputable and recommended tint shop that manage to pull the entire rear defrost element off of the rear window while removing the existing tint. I bought the F used and needed the old tint removed to meet local state inspection. I was going to apply legal tint but aborted after they came to show me their handy work.

Couple questions for the ISF Gallery.
1. How likely a scenario is losing the rear defrost? After reading on the internet (dangerous, I know) I was seriously considering doing it myself as it seemed like a reasonable undertaking with a steam machine but presumed a tint shop would have the upper hand. I was under the impression that it can happen but very likely not to if at a good shop. Am I off base for thinking they should have been able to take off the old tint? The tint was on when I bought it, so no idea how long its been on (assume from new so 6+ years) or what type it is so there are variables, but I'm not finding many stories of this occurring so was not really considering it as the outcome that unfolded before me today.

2. Replacing the back glass. I will want to fix prior to putting tint back on. I would clearly prefer the factory glass but not sure what other options are at this point than replacing with new. Getting ready to call around for pricing with the knowledge that this wont be cheap. What do I need to know? Anyone replace their back glass and have any advice?

Thanks F drivers.

Old 01-24-19, 05:33 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

I removed previous owner’s rear tint myself...without a steamer. It was a huge pain and took several hours to remove.

i was careful enough to avoid damaging the rear defrost - but it could happen pretty easily.

Old 01-27-19, 04:18 PM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Unfortunately that happens. Only way to fix it is replacing the glass.
Old 01-28-19, 09:19 AM
stunts
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the insight, both of you. Aware its possible, just not the ideal scenario. Talking with the tinters but the are distancing themselves. Just wanted some measure to know if their efforts were reasonable; did they rush the removal, etc? Regardless, I know its irrelevant at this point.

Pricing back glass options this week. Woot.
Old 01-28-19, 10:05 AM
GeniusISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could maybe talk to your insurance company and see if they would cover that as a comprehensive claim. Not sure if they would or not but it couldn't hurt to ask them.
Old 01-28-19, 11:30 AM
sleepstate
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you get the rear glass replaced, have them put the tint on before it gets installed into the car. Much easier and cheaper to apply it on the bench than in the car.
Old 01-28-19, 01:30 PM
stunts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GeniusISF
You could maybe talk to your insurance company and see if they would cover that as a comprehensive claim. Not sure if they would or not but it couldn't hurt to ask them.
Hmm, interesting. With deductibles and not wanting to anger the insurance gods Ill probably eat it, but good thinking. Where in NC are you?

Originally Posted by sleepstate
If you get the rear glass replaced, have them put the tint on before it gets installed into the car. Much easier and cheaper to apply it on the bench than in the car.
Good thought. Have to see if I can find someone who does the glass and who also does tint. Was currently shopping the dealers around for glass replacement. I am the 3rd owner on my F, but its got a full history at Lexus, so its got that going for it despite multiple owner. Unfortunately Lexus in my area does not do tint. Will keep this in mind though. Thanks.
Old 01-28-19, 11:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Just a thought, but if you are driving in South Carolina and break glass on your car, state law requires it be replaced by insurance at no cost to you. That said, I would never advocate insurance fraud, but I have lost a windshield to a rock in South Carolina on my way to Charlotte.
Old 01-29-19, 07:27 AM
stunts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Just a thought, but if you are driving in South Carolina and break glass on your car, state law requires it be replaced by insurance at no cost to you. That said, I would never advocate insurance fraud, but I have lost a windshield to a rock in South Carolina on my way to Charlotte.
Ah yes, the legal loopholes. While I appreciate the thought Karma and I have an understanding. Plus I would have to drive backwards....

Give a shout If you find yourself in the Charlotte area.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (01-29-19)
Old 01-29-19, 10:11 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Originally Posted by stunts
Ah yes, the legal loopholes. While I appreciate the thought Karma and I have an understanding. Plus I would have to drive backwards....

Give a shout If you find yourself in the Charlotte area.
No, not really. damn vandals could have come thru your area and cause property damage. that said. i agree with lobuxracer.
Old 01-29-19, 02:08 PM
GeniusISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, interesting. With deductibles and not wanting to anger the insurance gods Ill probably eat it, but good thinking. Where in NC are you?

Good thought. Have to see if I can find someone who does the glass and who also does tint. Was currently shopping the dealers around for glass replacement. I am the 3rd owner on my F, but its got a full history at Lexus, so its got that going for it despite multiple owner. Unfortunately Lexus in my area does not do tint. Will keep this in mind though. Thanks.
I am in Rutherfordton, about halfway between Asheville and Charlotte.
Old 01-29-19, 03:10 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 162 Likes on 88 Posts

How is it no one has suggested the tint shop fix this for you? I guess my expectations are too high or something. I did have a falling out with two separate mechanics.
Old 01-29-19, 08:02 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by McPierson
How is it no one has suggested the tint shop fix this for you? I guess my expectations are too high or something. I did have a falling out with two separate mechanics.
Unless they did something out of the ordinary to cause the damage, kinda hard for them to have the blame. If they we're just doing their job (properly) and this happened, chalk it up to the game.
Btw, I'm a professional tinter and I own a high end car audio shop and do tint as well. Though unlikely, you can use a steamer and do everything else totally right, and still lose some of your defroster lines. USUALLY when the rare case that this happens, cheap tint with cheap glues in it was used (usually why it's being taken off in the first place).
Good luck!
Oh, and yea, FL and SC do give free windshield replacement, here in NC, not the case, lol. Insurance claim it is.....a $250 or $500 deductable and you're better off paying out of pocket. $0 deductable, go for it.

V.
Old 01-30-19, 08:46 AM
stunts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by McPierson
Originally Posted by Vitveet
Unless they did something out of the ordinary to cause the damage, kinda hard for them to have the blame. If they we're just doing their job (properly) and this happened, chalk it up to the game.
Btw, I'm a professional tinter and I own a high end car audio shop and do tint as well. Though unlikely, you can use a steamer and do everything else totally right, and still lose some of your defroster lines. USUALLY when the rare case that this happens, cheap tint with cheap glues in it was used (usually why it's being taken off in the first place).
Good luck!
Oh, and yea, FL and SC do give free windshield replacement, here in NC, not the case, lol. Insurance claim it is.....a $250 or $500 deductable and you're better off paying out of pocket. $0 deductable, go for it.

V.
Pretty much only option to go after the tinters would be small claims. Maybe they rushed it or could have tried something different, but tough to show and that is me just second guessing their work. Live and learn, I am moving on with it. Clearly the hope was take it off and put new on, but as people have chimed in here, it happens.

In my case, the tint was on the car, was in great shape with no bubbles, but too dark to pass inspection. At least they didnt gouge the trim around the side windows removing the tint in those locations. I dont think they wanted to botch it, I ended up not getting tint from them as I want to fix the glass before reapplying.

So what am I saying? I'm saying this thread have been therapeutic (allowing me to vent) and informative. Moral of the story, be wary of old tint if you need to take it off, which is something I never considered when shopping. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-30-19, 09:31 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

So what am I saying? I'm saying this thread have been therapeutic (allowing me to vent) and informative. Moral of the story, be wary of old tint if you need to take it off, which is something I never considered when shopping. Thanks for the input guys.
THIS! is the main reason I abstained from removing my tint in the rear. prior owner limo tinted all around. including the front! i removed the front for now and keeping rest. i liked how it looked. but impractical for night driving.
but since its been on there for 5 yrs and i dont wanna chance it. ive had to replace rear glass b4. its a learning moment OP and im happy to see your taking it in strides.

on a good note you atleast can pull the glass from plenty of other 2nd gens so hopefully the cost isnt too high.