IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Manual Shifting questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-19, 04:01 PM
Zarrex
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Manual Shifting questions

Hey guys, I just picked up my 2008 ISF back in the middle of December and I'm loving it so far. It's completely stock as of now and the only thing I have in mind at the moment is possibly an exhaust in the future and maybe the lip spoiler.

But the reason for the thread is mainly shifting the car in manual mode. I'm wondering where/when I should be shifting down when driving the car in manual. Shifting up is easy enough, but whenever I shift down it feels like the engine braking kicks in right away. When coming to a stop, should I not bother going back down into 1st until the car is stopped? I'd just like to downshift as smoothly as possible. Any tips?
Old 02-03-19, 04:33 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Whenever I'm manual shifting and coming to a stop I never shift into 1st until the car comes to a complete stop........that's just me though, as I've thought it doesn't feel smooth if I shift into 1st while the car is still rolling forward.
Old 02-03-19, 04:58 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I never downshift to 1st when coming to a stop. Even in manual mode, it will shift down by itself from 2 to 1 when safe
Old 02-03-19, 05:13 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Question for the OP. Do you know how to drive a manual? If so, do you shift into lower gears when coming to a stop? Down shifting should only be used when you are in a higher gear and need the added power available on a lower gear.

Lou
Old 02-03-19, 06:55 PM
Zarrex
Rookie

Originally Posted by flowrider
Question for the OP. Do you know how to drive a manual? If so, do you shift into lower gears when coming to a stop? Down shifting should only be used when you are in a higher gear and need the added power available on a lower gear.

Lou
I know basics but have only actually driven a manual once. Sorry for the ignorance, just haven't had a chance to have a lot of seat time with one
Old 02-03-19, 07:57 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^OK, then I'll answer the question. With a Manual transmission, you do not downshift into 1st until you are stopped. You do not depress the clutch until just before you are stopped. In an automatic, you do the same, except no clutch. And whether auto or manual you do not downshift from high, unless you need more torque or are stopped. Some, not me, might say you may downshift when descending a steep hill. To me, brakes pads are less expensive than engine or transmission wear.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (02-04-19)
Old 02-03-19, 08:19 PM
Zarrex
Rookie

^^^^OK, then I'll answer the question. With a Manual transmission, you do not downshift into 1st until you are stopped. You do not depress the clutch until just before you are stopped. In an automatic, you do the same, except no clutch. And whether auto or manual you do not downshift from high, unless you need more torque or are stopped. Some, not me, might say you may downshift when descending a steep hill. To me, brakes pads are less expensive than engine or transmission wear.

Lou
Thanks for the help. One other thing that I've though about is just cruising on some windy roads in manual. I would usually just stay in 2nd or 3rd depending on how fast im going. I guess I'm just not exactly sure when i should be upshifting or just cruising using more revs and staying up around 3-5k
Old 02-03-19, 09:04 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Why do you want to keep the RPMs up? All you are doing is using more fuel. Unless you are lugging, and your just cruising, let the transmission shift for itself. Manual shifting with an automatic is just for performance situations.

Just for reference, My ISF, that I've now had for over 10 years, is my first car with an automatic. And to show my age, I learned to drive in Driver's Ed. in high school on a 1955 Ford with 3 on the tree. If you don't know what that means, do a google search.

Lou
Old 02-04-19, 06:38 AM
Zarrex
Rookie

Yeah, I know what that means haha. I always drive the car in auto under normal situations, but when the weather is nice and I want to take a drive down some side roads I'd like to throw it in manual. I know this car likes to fire through gears all the way up to 8th, so I'm wondering really how I should be shifting in manual. If I'm on a back road that's a mix of straights and corners, I'm just not sure how high I should be taking the gears (all the way up to 8th?), or when I should be downshifting back/letting the car downshift itself.
Old 02-04-19, 07:58 AM
Kenny88880
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zarrex
Yeah, I know what that means haha. I always drive the car in auto under normal situations, but when the weather is nice and I want to take a drive down some side roads I'd like to throw it in manual. I know this car likes to fire through gears all the way up to 8th, so I'm wondering really how I should be shifting in manual. If I'm on a back road that's a mix of straights and corners, I'm just not sure how high I should be taking the gears (all the way up to 8th?), or when I should be downshifting back/letting the car downshift itself.

There is no exact answer to your question. We would need to know how fast you get going on the roads among other things to try and estimate what gear(s) would be good for you to stay in. 3K RPMs is a fairly good spot though to be able to press the gas and take off, regardless of what gear you are in.

Your best bet is to just continue to drive the car and feel it out for yourself. Watch dome FPV videos of people driving their ISF's and roll from there.
Old 02-04-19, 01:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

For all practical purposes, you'll never use 7th or 8th in manual mode unless you're doing a top speed run on an acceptable road for something like this, and then you really don't need to use manual mode, you can do that full auto and be fine. Even on a very fast road course it's unlikely you'll get out of 6th gear.
Old 02-04-19, 03:34 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

Lou
Fair point on the brakes being cheaper than engine/trans wear but I usually like to down shift in case i need to accelerate to avoid something.... i'm already in gear (usually 2nd/3rd). I've just started to daily drive a manual transmission Subaru Impreza to avoid parking the F at a public park and ride to/from work.
Old 02-11-19, 11:55 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah like others have mentioned, no real reason to downshift to 1st but in saying that, since i got the headers, im doing just that (for the noise). In auto mode, it shifts smooth but in manual mode i think many people are surprised as i keep downshifting and its easily heard lol.

On the motorway at approx 100km/hr in 6th and downshifting to 5th always producing the best sounding downshift bleep exhaust note my car makes. Its that sweet spot from a sound perspective.

Beyond that 3-4k is always a nice RPM range to upshift/downshift, in the powerband but without over doing unless of course you want the power than shift at a higher RPM.

Otherwise automode (non sports) is fine. I find in sportsmode even when cruising it wants to hold gears too long and can get a bit embarassing when the engine is high in RPM and i want it to up shift but it thinks im in hoon mode when i never was. Even light acceleration, it wants to hold the gears so i dont bother using sports unless i want to drive it harder.
Old 02-12-19, 06:16 AM
Neles
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

downshifting to 5th produces an intoxicating sound. I'm not sure the reasoning. Wish all gears would do this.
Old 02-12-19, 06:41 AM
ISFTOMMY
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive noticed that downshifting by just pressing the downshift paddle when in Drive "D" (D#Gear) is much smoother than downshifting in (M) manual mode. it also makes more pops and bangs lol.

Quick Reply: Manual Shifting questions