IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DD supercharged ISF good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 09:22 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 346 Likes on 218 Posts
Default DD supercharged ISF good idea?

I知 looking into purchasing the RR supercharger for our ISF and was wondering if anyone here actually DD their car with the supercharger. I知 looking at reliability and durability of the kit as a whole. Also if you do how many miles have you put on it? Any down sides? Did you go from FBO to the supercharger kit? Was the difference big as far as how the car felt? I just want to get all the facts because 10k is a good size chunk out of my wallet so I want to make sure I don稚 regret this.

Last edited by ISFpowered; 08-11-19 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-16-19, 09:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

+1. Very interested in the answers to these questions.
Old 02-16-19, 10:23 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Im one of the first batch when rr racing came out with the ss kit. Before installing it by myself i did the compression test, to make sure that my engine is healthy enough. I remember it was at 68k miles when i installed it, now she is at 84k miles. Including 3 track days. And the F going strong. I dyno it without prep, air filter is so dirty after 2 trak days,so heat soak occured , and the dyno shop had minimal air blower. I came from full bolt on and rr racing tune. For me that 10k is worth it.

Heres the dyno result. Rafi told me the max of my present tuned would be 530whp. So, if that shop had enough blower and i have a cleaner airfilter it would be a different turn out.

The following 4 users liked this post by ljdsong:
8cyl (02-17-19), mike33 (02-17-19), MileHIFcar (02-18-19), tas02 (02-17-19)
Old 02-16-19, 11:15 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdsong
Im one of the first batch when rr racing came out with the ss kit. Before installing it by myself i did the compression test, to make sure that my engine is healthy enough. I remember it was at 68k miles when i installed it, now she is at 84k miles. Including 3 track days. And the F going strong. I dyno it without prep, air filter is so dirty after 2 trak days,so heat soak occured , and the dyno shop had minimal air blower. I came from full bolt on and rr racing tune. For me that 10k is worth it.
What did you dyno before the blower? Also how much weight was added to the front of the car with the kit?
Old 02-17-19, 07:57 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Heres the dyno result. Rafi told me the max of my present tuned would be 530whp. So, if that shop had enough blower and i have a cleaner airfilter it would be a different turn out.
Thank you for your input. Do you daily the car? For me my ISF is my daily so rain, storm, hot, cold etc it痴 out and about being driven. I also have a bad habit of really driving my car hard and I知 FBO with RR tune. I just want to know since I would really hate to buy this kit and then for my reliable car to become unreliable. I知 looking to see if anyone has put let痴 say close to 50k miles on the kit of being daily driven and done some track days.

Last edited by ISFpowered; 08-11-19 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 07:57 AM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan
What did you dyno before the blower? Also how much weight was added to the front of the car with the kit?
Im sorry didn't get your first question, what do you mean by that? I was not able to get the weight, maybe rafi/rr racing can answer this question.
Old 02-17-19, 07:59 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Im sorry didn't get your first question, what do you mean by that? I was not able to get the weight, maybe rafi/rr racing can answer this question.
I think he means did you dyno before boosting your car and if so what you put down.
Old 02-17-19, 12:09 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Did you dyno your car before adding the supercharger. Very curious how much the kit weighs as our cars are already nose heavy.
Old 02-17-19, 01:55 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JohnMorgan

Did you dyno your car before adding the supercharger. Very curious how much the kit weighs as our cars are already nose heavy.
Never had a chance to dyno it! With the full bolt on and E85 mixing the car is difinitely had more power. Me too im curious to know how much weight i add on with those modifications, thats i include the engine oil cooler.
leo
Old 02-17-19, 02:32 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Your Welcome! for the first 10k miles after the supercharger I daily the car and I don't have any problem. I leave here at norcal so no storms but I don't cover when it rain, I mean I got a seibon vented hood so rain go thru it. so far I don't know any body with that 50k miles with supercharger kit.

leo
Old 02-17-19, 02:47 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Your Welcome! for the first 10k miles after the supercharger I daily the car and I don't have any problem. I leave here at norcal so no storms but I don't cover when it rain, I mean I got a seibon vented hood so rain go thru it. so far I don't know any body with that 50k miles with supercharger kit.

leo
Nice! I live in SoCal so I知 wondering what it would be like since I wouldn稚 really have anything else except my GSXR to daily which I rather not. So do you daily it on pump 91 octane? Do you use any octane boosters? How痴 your gas mileage?
Old 02-17-19, 03:53 PM
njoyRice
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a SC ISF who used to DD it. Got it on around July and put around 10K miles on it. Came from FBO E30 blend. Dyno'd at ~447 WHP (dyno-mite) which is a known happy dyno in the area.

Pump gas with mixed driving (mostly city) I averaged 17 MPG. With the E45 blend I averaged 13-14 MPG. Guessing with the parasitic loss, City driving and traffic seems to sap a lot of gas.

I would guess an additional 150 lbs was added to the front of the car.
The following users liked this post:
Justind27 (04-13-20)
Old 02-17-19, 04:33 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by njoyRice
I have a SC ISF who used to DD it. Got it on around July and put around 10K miles on it. Came from FBO E30 blend. Dyno'd at ~447 WHP (dyno-mite) which is a known happy dyno in the area.

Pump gas with mixed driving (mostly city) I averaged 17 MPG. With the E45 blend I averaged 13-14 MPG. Guessing with the parasitic loss, City driving and traffic seems to sap a lot of gas.

I would guess an additional 150 lbs was added to the front of the car.
Pump gas 91 or 93? Wow you really think the whole kit weighed in at 150?
Old 02-17-19, 04:57 PM
njoyRice
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered

93. All of the piping is carbon fiber and aluminum so not much weight there. Heaviest thing is the harmonic damper but you replace the stock one.
Old 02-17-19, 05:05 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered

No way can it?! That's a ton of weight...I'd guess 100 lbs....but just a guess, lol.
And pretty sure there is no one with the RR supercharger on there ISF that's put 50k miles on it. The kit has been out less than 2 years... even at 2 years, that's 25k miles a year average....bit of a stretch. RR's supercharged F probably has the most mileage and abuse on it.....but they have a mixture of parts, etc from what I understand since it's really a test mule for product development. So that car may not be an accurate judge.

V.
The following users liked this post:
Ahmedsamiu (02-05-20)

Quick Reply: DD supercharged ISF good idea?