IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus ISF or Infiniti Q50 RS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-19, 06:42 PM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
This is a new engine so long term reliability and how much power they can handle is still a questionmark but the consensus from AMS is that the stock engine and tranny can handle up to 600 WHP and almost 700 lb ft. of torque which is pretty ridiculous and more than 99% of the cars on the road.
Thank you for the reply! I honestly think this is my biggest hold up is the unknown reliability after tuning. If I were just buying a fun weekend car, it would 100% be the ISF (out of these two) because of the V8 and raw-ness of it. I honestly think I might just have to take a long road trip to go check out one of these Q50 Redsports. Or maybe I will just wait for one to show up in my area since I am in no hurry to get a new vehicle right now.
Old 03-05-19, 05:34 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Here locally Infiniti doesn’t hold resale value nearly as well as Lexus. I think ISFs cost a premium for a reason. If you want to build a straight line power car for the absolute cheapest, then the Infiniti is the way to go... but eventually you will sink enough money into it to be on the same cost level as a supercharged ISF, which you can reliably make 650 whp with.

This is speculation, but you probably won’t find any long term 650 whp red sports. They will need rebuilt. There is a reason Infiniti doesn’t hold its value as well as Lexus... it’s not as valuable.
Old 03-05-19, 06:50 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Here locally Infiniti doesn’t hold resale value nearly as well as Lexus. I think ISFs cost a premium for a reason. If you want to build a straight line power car for the absolute cheapest, then the Infiniti is the way to go... but eventually you will sink enough money into it to be on the same cost level as a supercharged ISF, which you can reliably make 650 whp with.

This is speculation, but you probably won’t find any long term 650 whp red sports. They will need rebuilt. There is a reason Infiniti doesn’t hold its value as well as Lexus... it’s not as valuable.
Very true, but it's a double edged sword. They lose value pretty quickly, though not abnormally compared to the Germans and other marques, but as a used car they offer a lot if you want newer for cheaper. The Q50 is a bread and butter car and thus is everywhere leased, rented, and bought, certainly not as rare as ISF or even RCF. You can slide into a 2016-17 RS400 with 35k miles for $35k and spend $2k on mods and have a very reliable and quicker than FBO ISF and still have warranty. That's a $55k car 2-3 years later for $35k. 2015-16 RCF's stickered at $75-80k go for $36-45k now, so depreciation is really not that crazy.
As far as a reliable 650whp ISF, I hate to say but there's just not that much data about them and I wish there was. The handful I know personally don't daily theirs and the few online who do daily only drive 10k a year. As I asked on another post, if you plan on an SC ISF as a weekend car, may it not be comparable to own an FBO/tune AMG/M/CTSV? One last thing, the quickest dragged non spray ISF I've seen is Jason Frantz's, SC with built motor/e85 635whp. Runs high 10's. AMS Q60 with upgraded motor/turbos/tranny is currently 10 flat. 10.01@139 to be specific but 800awhp.

I'd still take the ISF for the sound and rarity, but just wanted it to be objective. So many on this forum and FB pages seem to brag about ISF reliability, and it's absolutelty a very stout car but not without flaws or drawbacks.

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 03-05-19 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-05-19, 09:24 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

The ISF cost a premium because not many of them were made. That's the Only reason, it's basically a collectible rare Japanese muscle car. I never understand the concern about resale value's, Is the plan to flip cars like a house? Who cares? All cars depreciate and are not good ways to spend money. A supercharged ISF will cost you more than a $1200 tune and a used 3.0t Q50. Infiniti holds it's value as well as any other luxary brand. BMW and Mercedez also drop like rocks. It's not like they are not well built cars.
Old 03-05-19, 10:14 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by Kense
The ISF cost a premium because not many of them were made. That's the Only reason, it's basically a collectible rare Japanese muscle car. I never understand the concern about resale value's, Is the plan to flip cars like a house? Who cares? All cars depreciate and are not good ways to spend money. A supercharged ISF will cost you more than a $1200 tune and a used 3.0t Q50. Infiniti holds it's value as well as any other luxary brand. BMW and Mercedez also drop like rocks. It's not like they are not well built cars.
On this we will agree to disagree. So many reviews of the ISF talk about what you get AND the fact that it is very reliable. Go buy an 08-14 M3 and you will spend way more on maintenance, with few exceptions. The rarity does add value, but Lexus in general holds its value better than most luxury brands.
Old 03-05-19, 10:51 AM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Of course there is going to be a debate on reliability, performance, cost, etc. but you should go with what you like better/what you can afford.

Just my experience, the Infinity interior feels cramped. I sat in several infinity sedans and coupes in the past... all of them have felt cramped. It might be because I am 6'-2" tall but I'm not big boned at all.
The ISF is not a large sedan by any means but I somehow feel comfortable in it.
Once again, just my observation. And take this with a grain of salt because we are on a Lexus ISF forum...
Old 03-05-19, 06:29 PM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PJSnow
Just my experience, the Infinity interior feels cramped. I sat in several infinity sedans and coupes in the past... all of them have felt cramped. It might be because I am 6'-2" tall but I'm not big boned at all.
Well it's a good thing I'm only 5'7" lol. And I do like the fact that the Q50 RS400 has a slightly bigger back seat and room for 5 (instead of 4 like the ISF).
Old 03-06-19, 06:17 AM
Jwconeil

The ISF back seat can easily fit 50, maybe even 75 cents.... its tiny.
Old 03-06-19, 08:53 AM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

I have fit 4 people in the back once but they were all tiny and the middle plastic hump was not comfortable... My driving position was also VERY uncomfortable. ISF is basically a glorified coupe.
Old 03-06-19, 11:50 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

I agree with this comment above "ISF is basically a glorified coupe" ..........anytime my 6 & 8 year old are in the backseat (rare circumstance anymore) they kick the back of the seats inadvertently.
Old 06-20-21, 01:45 PM
ecowarrior
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is old but I have owned both. Wife and I had the Lexus IS F and currently have a Q50 Red Sport 400 in our stable. We also have/ had Germans (tuned Audi SQ5, stage 2 Audi S3, Porsche Cayenne GTS) and lots more. So you probably figured this out but you can get the Red Sport in AWD or RWD. We chose RWD for fun. It lights up the rear tires VERY easily. Not sure if you can but you can slide out the back of the Q50 very easy as well. I liked the sound of the IS F motor better and it had factory valved (not loud) exhaust. The Infiniti stock sounds like wimpy but the surge of the turbos is much more enjoyable for me. I'm not really a fan of either transmission - both quite slow. I think the Lexus handled better in cornering that the Infiniti but I'm planning on changing out the suspension and exhaust this month.

FWIW we bought both used for ~$30k. They are both relative sleepers, which is what I was going for. Our Lexus didnt even have BT audio. We ended up selling IS F and got the Infiniti and didn't have both at the same time.

The IS F is definitely more rare and now people have the option of the IS 500.

Originally Posted by Brosillo
Over the last few months, I have been searching around for a good deal on a 2011+ ISF. Of all the cars I have researched, apart from the ISF, the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 has caught my attention the most. The 6.2L Charger, S6/7, C63, and M3 have all scared me off from either reliability issues (Dodge) or costs needed to fix issues as they arise (Germans). I "need" 4 doors and 400+ horsepower. My IS350 has been incredibly reliable for the 5 years I've had it, so I might be a little addicted to the reliability that comes a Lexus. Infiniti seems to be up-there on the reliability rankings year after year being another Japanese vehicle. With all that being said, I'm really trying to decide between the ISF and AWD Red Sport 400. Both of these vehicles are Note: If I went RWD, I would easily get the ISF, but the AWD on the Infiniti is definitely a strong selling point. Honestly, the ISF is the only RWD vehicle for me. The only reason I would get anything else would be because it has AWD.

Lexus ISF: V8, sound, better handling, better steering feel, reliability, rarity, faster stock vs stock.

Infinity Q50 RS400: Tune-ability, straight line speed after mods, 3-5 years newer, lower mileage, AWD.

Let me know your guy's thoughts as I feel like this would be a comparison made more often, but I really didn't see many threads or articles comparing the two. Thanks!
Old 06-20-21, 02:51 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ecowarrior
I liked the sound of the IS F motor better and it had factory valved (not loud) exhaust.
That is actually induction noise from the intake
Old 07-05-21, 12:08 AM
footballpl
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Brosillo
To answer a few things:

I know people have brought up the tires thing before, but I would definitely be buying a used one, so I would hope they didn't put those awful run-flats back on there.

I will never track my car, so that is where I am having a problem caring about the steering/handling.

I have test drove an ISF about a year ago and liked it. Didn't really get a lot of time behind the wheel though. I would like to test drive both of these vehicles, but there are none near me within a 3+ hour radius.

And I do appreciate all the input and opinions. It was obvious that the opinions would be biased towards the ISF, but figured I would see what people thought who have had experience with both. Also been contemplating the idea of keeping the IS350 as a DD and getting a C5 Z06 so I can have a project car I don't mind modding.
I sold my C5Z to get an ISF, I miss it dearly. They are fantastic. Can't touch a C5Z's potential for the money. I'd stick with the 350 and get a C5Z.