IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus ISF or Infiniti Q50 RS400

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-19, 08:28 PM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus ISF or Infiniti Q50 RS400

Over the last few months, I have been searching around for a good deal on a 2011+ ISF. Of all the cars I have researched, apart from the ISF, the Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 has caught my attention the most. The 6.2L Charger, S6/7, C63, and M3 have all scared me off from either reliability issues (Dodge) or costs needed to fix issues as they arise (Germans). I "need" 4 doors and 400+ horsepower. My IS350 has been incredibly reliable for the 5 years I've had it, so I might be a little addicted to the reliability that comes a Lexus. Infiniti seems to be up-there on the reliability rankings year after year being another Japanese vehicle. With all that being said, I'm really trying to decide between the ISF and AWD Red Sport 400. Both of these vehicles are Note: If I went RWD, I would easily get the ISF, but the AWD on the Infiniti is definitely a strong selling point. Honestly, the ISF is the only RWD vehicle for me. The only reason I would get anything else would be because it has AWD.

Lexus ISF: V8, sound, better handling, better steering feel, reliability, rarity, faster stock vs stock.

Infinity Q50 RS400: Tune-ability, straight line speed after mods, 3-5 years newer, lower mileage, AWD.

Let me know your guy's thoughts as I feel like this would be a comparison made more often, but I really didn't see many threads or articles comparing the two. Thanks!
Old 02-28-19, 10:54 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Why don’t you test drive both and see what feels right for you?

i liked the Q50 and it’s more modern feel. It’s not slow, just doesn’t feel as raw as the ISF. It all depends on what you are looking for. Two different type of cars.
Old 03-01-19, 06:06 AM
tronim
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm sorry I laughed at the thread title....Infinity? nope.
The following users liked this post:
ALexusF (06-24-19)
Old 03-01-19, 07:51 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

I came from Infiniti both coupe and sedan G37's and considered the RS about 2 years ago. They can be much quicker than the F for way cheaper but mainly only in straight line. The handling is wonky, but better if you opt out of the DAS. No manual option, no LSD, and the tranny is from 2009 and it shows. It wasn't good then, not much better now. The awd is nice and the interior is certainly in a newer generation, though the materials still feel cheaper to me than what they used on the G37. In touch is garbage, but so is the ISF/RCF's touchscreen system. It also helps that Infiniti has fairly poor resale value. Great for someone looking for a cheap CPO daily car, not so much for anyone who paid $55k new.

Stock for stock with an F the RS can edge the win with AWD, a few grand into each and the RS would wipe the floor with F unless the F was SC'd. The RS rwd dyno's about 375whp, and with mild exhaust and tune they can be 450whp+ very quickly and 500-600 with supporting mods isn't out of the question at all. The 3.0 premium/silver sports(non RS) are actually pretty detuned from the factory so as long as you update the cooling, you can get 90% of the power of the RS without the extra up front cost. Awd helps as well and I've seen a lot at my local strips in the 11's and there's plenty of videos online of even the premium 3.0t's surprising much more pricey cars with $3k in mods. That being said, the 3.0T has not yet proven to be as stout as the 3.7 nor the ISF's V8. When the motor first came out a LOT of them experienced misaligned AC compressors and belts would shred off damaging the cooling systems. There was a fix for it with letters sent out, but a buddy of mine had his done and it still broke again after the "fix". He was 100 miles from home at midnight and had to be towed/picked up. A lot of people have also abused them with the multiple new intakes/tunes/downpipes etc that were basically guinea pig tested on the early models. The ISF has proven it can handle FBO and abuse, the 3.0T in the Q50, hasn't.

Personally I prefer the ISF, even my 08 over a 16-17 RS400. The rarity, v8 sound, handling, and overall feel of the car are preferable to me over a faster/shinier package.
The following 3 users liked this post by LexusfanVA:
BirgeyT1 (03-01-19), footballpl (07-05-21), YeShrug (03-03-19)
Old 03-01-19, 08:10 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Won't get a better reply than that^^^^!

V.
Old 03-01-19, 11:51 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

A FBO ISF can run in the high 11s as well, so they are no slouch. They have about 500 crank hp with FBOs I think. Once you get to that power level, you won’t be using it to its full potential safely unless your on a track.
Old 03-01-19, 11:55 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 347 Likes on 219 Posts

2015+ Charger 392 or a 2010+ Lexus ISF I wouldn’t bother with either of the cars your looking at. The 392 is stout and strong. The trans is amazing can’t go wrong with either or. I have both and love them.

Last edited by ISFpowered; 03-01-19 at 12:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
footballpl (07-05-21)
Old 03-01-19, 12:16 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
A FBO ISF can run in the high 11s as well, so they are no slouch. They have about 500 crank hp with FBOs I think. Once you get to that power level, you won’t be using it to its full potential safely unless your on a track.
Can run, doesn't mean will run. There's plenty of this forum and on FB pages FBO/tune with summers who are in the low 12's. Sure, there have been a few in the high 11's. There are Q50 premium with just a tune and heat exchanger on 93 running 12 flat. The torque numbers are higher which plays a big role and aw helps to contain it. Record for a rwd Q60 over a year ago with just exhaust/tune work was 11.06 at 124. Don't get me wrong, I'd still take a daily driven F over it as that performance isn't proven reliable yet, but OEM FI with some mild work is a whole different ballgame than NA V8.

As far as a Charger/SRT, I've run one from a roll and a dig with just my catback and won time after time. On a strip they do better with prepped pavement, but on the street they have trouble hooking up.
Old 03-01-19, 12:23 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
As far as a Charger/SRT, I've run one from a roll and a dig with just my catback and won time after time. On a strip they do better with prepped pavement, but on the street they have trouble hooking up.
I really hate when I see a 392 on the road in my ISF and the guys don’t even down shift or anything they just floor it in drive instead of trying to utilize a lower gear so a bad driver can absolutely give an impression that the car is slow. Traction with those is definitely a huge problem especially from a dig on the street. With the right tire and mods and they can do mid 11’s while still weighing 4200+
Old 03-01-19, 12:31 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISFpowered

I really hate when I see a 392 on the road in my ISF and the guys don’t even down shift or anything they just floor it in drive instead of trying to utilize a lower gear so a bad driver can absolutely give an impression that the car is slow. Traction with those is definitely a huge problem especially from a dig on the street. With the right tire and mods and they can do mid 11’s while still weighing 4200+
Agreed, they have a lot of potential and more aftermarket, but it's fun to disappoint/surprise brand new owners who are closer to stock. The previous gen is also fun since they're usually cheaper and so darn loud and the grandpa lex is no slouch. Since then I've gotten a tune and will have P4S here soon to have a bit more up my sleeve. I still love the F as it's a great all arounder. Won't catch any SRT at the autox lots and I never see Q50's there either.
Old 03-01-19, 04:13 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Agreed, they have a lot of potential and more aftermarket, but it's fun to disappoint/surprise brand new owners who are closer to stock. The previous gen is also fun since they're usually cheaper and so darn loud and the grandpa lex is no slouch. Since then I've gotten a tune and will have P4S here soon to have a bit more up my sleeve. I still love the F as it's a great all arounder. Won't catch any SRT at the autox lots and I never see Q50's there either.
Great car to catch people off guard love the look on their face lol. 99.99% of the time I get people that say “hey that’s a clean F sport or nice is250/350”. Then all they see is my tail lights 😂. I respond “hey I just have a stock v6 what happened?!”
Old 03-01-19, 06:51 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a Q60RS (a little different) and purposely ordered it with RWD and the standard steering system. The AWD models come with bad tires and I believe they are run flats. The RWD came with summer tires. Like LexusFan said, I would’ve gone with a silver sport instead and thrown the Alpha tune on it since they are the same engine. It has growing support but the driving experience was much different from the ISF. The ISF has raw soul but the Q was updated and refined. Depends what you are looking for but I would get a silver sport and throw a tune on it and some normal tires. If you want the driving experience and a smile every day, get the F
Old 03-01-19, 07:04 PM
Brosillo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer a few things:

I know people have brought up the tires thing before, but I would definitely be buying a used one, so I would hope they didn't put those awful run-flats back on there.

I will never track my car, so that is where I am having a problem caring about the steering/handling.

I have test drove an ISF about a year ago and liked it. Didn't really get a lot of time behind the wheel though. I would like to test drive both of these vehicles, but there are none near me within a 3+ hour radius.

And I do appreciate all the input and opinions. It was obvious that the opinions would be biased towards the ISF, but figured I would see what people thought who have had experience with both. Also been contemplating the idea of keeping the IS350 as a DD and getting a C5 Z06 so I can have a project car I don't mind modding.
Old 03-02-19, 05:17 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Brosillo
To answer a few things:

I know people have brought up the tires thing before, but I would definitely be buying a used one, so I would hope they didn't put those awful run-flats back on there.

I will never track my car, so that is where I am having a problem caring about the steering/handling.

I have test drove an ISF about a year ago and liked it. Didn't really get a lot of time behind the wheel though. I would like to test drive both of these vehicles, but there are none near me within a 3+ hour radius.

And I do appreciate all the input and opinions. It was obvious that the opinions would be biased towards the ISF, but figured I would see what people thought who have had experience with both. Also been contemplating the idea of keeping the IS350 as a DD and getting a C5 Z06 so I can have a project car I don't mind modding.
I daily a 350 and weekend an F. No regrets.
Old 03-04-19, 01:11 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently have an Q50 RS RWD with no DAS or any of the tech nanny features. The car is quick, You're going to get a biased POV here. When it comes to tuning you're just not going to out perform the Q50's Twin Turbo's. There are a ton of things in development right now. A couple of companies have already released aftermarket Turbo's for relatively cheap that will put you in the 5-600 WHP range with some other add ons. There's a couple different LSD's you can purchase too. The car is a beast, plain and simple. Handling can be fixed with suspension mods but realistically you're not going to take advantage of all that anyways and you said you will not be tracking the car so it doesn't matter. With higher octane fuel and an AMS or EcuTek tune you'll be at 430-450 WHP with a laughable amount of torque. Most people are getting 525-575 Pound feet of torque from basic tunes.

This is a new engine so long term reliability and how much power they can handle is still a questionmark but the consensus from AMS is that the stock engine and tranny can handle up to 600 WHP and almost 700 lb ft. of torque which is pretty ridiculous and more than 99% of the cars on the road. The price of a used ISF with lower miles is going to cost you as much as a new Non Red Sport and in many cases a slightly loaded Red Sport.

Quick Reply: Lexus ISF or Infiniti Q50 RS400