IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Killer IS-F Steering Angle

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 10:32 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Killer IS-F Steering Angle

While this kit is not technically for an IS-F, I thought I would share the test fitting of our new modular suspension/steering platform that could work with the IS-F if anyone was interested. This happens to have a different hub configuration, thus why the brakes are not mounted. It's always fun pushing the envelope and exploring the possibilities

We take it to the limit so we can help you find what you need for your daily driver or track competition vehicle. It's all relative.
​​​​​​

Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
The following 2 users liked this post by FIGS:
DaveGS4 (03-24-19), Defratos (03-24-19)
Old 03-24-19, 02:04 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks like you're planning a drifting event?
Old 03-24-19, 03:04 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Damn that's one hell of an angel , planning on posting any drift vids on the ISF?
Old 03-24-19, 04:33 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

I would be interested for the set up that you can put 295 or 305 wide tires without altering the fenders.
Old 03-24-19, 07:18 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by ljdsong
I would be interested for the set up that you can put 295 or 305 wide tires without altering the fenders.
on the front? And have it steer?
Old 03-24-19, 07:51 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
on the front? And have it steer?
Yes in the front for racetrack set up.
Old 03-25-19, 06:13 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by ljdsong
Yes in the front for racetrack set up.
I personally think it would make the steering extremely heavy. The largest we have fit without fender modifications is a 265. changing the spindle geometry does not help this clearance a great deal, so you would need to do something to make a 295 sweep clean. That would be clearing the fender liners and pushing the wheel off the firewall more. We can position the wheel pretty mcuh anywhere we need to, but it will require the body modifications to make it function.

What size/brand tires are you running now? Based on how most UHP tires are patterned, you might even lose grip with a wider tire because of the contact patch distribution. If you are track-dedicated, an Rcomp tire in a 255 or 265 is going to give you way more than you need in my opinion, but I am happy to discuss the possibilities. All that extra weight would not be fun to steer for a long lapping day.

Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 03-27-19, 01:28 PM
Alizia
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

would this be a remedy for people expecting tire rubbing? I don't know if that's what I'm experiencing right now but when I turn my steering wheel right, I get a little resistance at a specific angle and then the resistance goes away after I turn more and comes back every time I get back to that specific angle... I literally have no idea what the problem is but this product is sparking my interest!
Old 03-28-19, 10:07 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by Alizia
would this be a remedy for people expecting tire rubbing? I don't know if that's what I'm experiencing right now but when I turn my steering wheel right, I get a little resistance at a specific angle and then the resistance goes away after I turn more and comes back every time I get back to that specific angle... I literally have no idea what the problem is but this product is sparking my interest!
I think I have experienced what you are talking about. Since the rack is electronic, it could be a certain load range on the rack. This kit is more of an extreme geometry correction kit designed for either increasing steering angle, reducing upper arm interference when lowering, changing steering ratio to reduce driver fatigue etc. It's completely custom, but not really suggested for road-going cars, more for track prepped, caged vehicles.
Old 03-28-19, 10:22 AM
Alizia
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
I think I have experienced what you are talking about. Since the rack is electronic, it could be a certain load range on the rack. This kit is more of an extreme geometry correction kit designed for either increasing steering angle, reducing upper arm interference when lowering, changing steering ratio to reduce driver fatigue etc. It's completely custom, but not really suggested for road-going cars, more for track prepped, caged vehicles.
Thank you so much for your reply, do you recommend any products to remedy my issue? It's been bothering me as it's the one thing stopping my car from giving me a perfect driving experience.
Old 03-28-19, 09:03 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by Alizia
Thank you so much for your reply, do you recommend any products to remedy my issue? It's been bothering me as it's the one thing stopping my car from giving me a perfect driving experience.
Is this a new issue or did it start happening? There are a few things that can cause a sticky area of steering, including encoder feedback on the control at the rack itself. It would take some troubleshooting to figure out the problem.