IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

People with a custom exhaust please chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 03:38 PM
Fsportdrvr
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default People with a custom exhaust please chime in!

Hello everyone!

I have a 2008 ISF with PPE headers and a stock exhaust. I dont want to spend $1500+ on a catback exhaust so I am thinking of piecing together my own. I already have two magnaflow high-flow cats so my plan is to replace the stock cats with the magnaflow cats,put a x-pipe where the resonator is (delete the resonator) then finish it off with a pair of magnaflow mufflers? Through my research, it seems like there are a few magnaflow muffler part numbers that people tend to use. Can someone give me a definite part number for the magnaflow mufflers? Also, with this setup do you guys think I will experience any drone?
Old 03-24-19, 04:31 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Before I went with my full PPE Dual Mode exhaust I played around with a custom exhaust a few years ago. Here's a couple of threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ound-clip.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-exhaust.html

My experience with Magnaflow HiFlow cats was terrible:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...w-no-more.html

I certainly don't recommend them

Lou
Old 03-24-19, 06:20 PM
Fsportdrvr
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Lou! So I guess I’ll keep the stock secondary cats and run the x pipe and magnaflows.
Old 01-05-20, 06:39 PM
itzlikedat
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Deleted...

Old 01-07-20, 10:58 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 347 Likes on 219 Posts

You don’t have to spend $1500+ for an exhaust. Get a borla cat back and call it a day. I spent less then $1200 for a brand new one shipped.
Old 01-07-20, 11:03 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
You don’t have to spend $1500+ for an exhaust. Get a borla cat back and call it a day. I spent less then $1200 for a brand new one shipped.
I heard Borla was discontinued. Is that not true? I got my Borla for less than $1200 as well 2-3 years ago.
Old 01-07-20, 11:14 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by msgs350
I heard Borla was discontinued. Is that not true? I got my Borla for less than $1200 as well 2-3 years ago.
Not discontinued.
The following users liked this post:
msgs350 (01-07-20)
Old 01-07-20, 11:27 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^The Borla has been discontinued for all Lexus "F" cars.

IMHO, it's no big loss. Their clamping system was crap, again IMO.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
msgs350 (01-07-20)
Old 01-07-20, 11:41 AM
NinjaSocks
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I went to an exhaust shop with my 08' IS-F that I used to own and I had them remove the secondary cats and weld a straight pipe in each spot. Then I had the shop delete the mufflers and Y-pipe and they created an exhaust dump (tip) right after the resonator which was not visible at all.
All for $150. The muffler delete created a decent weight savings and acceleration was a lot smoother which made the car a little bit quicker according to the butt dyno. The sound was not raspy at all and I do not recall any real drone. The custom work really woke the car up and made it sound like how a Lexus V8 should sound. Perfect near stock sound at idle and vicious at WOT.
Old 01-07-20, 12:52 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^The Borla has been discontinued for all Lexus "F" cars.

IMHO, it's no big loss. Their clamping system was crap, again IMO.

Lou
If you want to find a brand new system it has to be through other places like figs, RR, etc. Brand new systems are around you just have to look. I’ve had the system for 3 years and had zero issues with the clamps and zero leaks. Maybe torquing them properly would have solved your issues with them.
Old 01-07-20, 12:54 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by NinjaSocks
I went to an exhaust shop with my 08' IS-F that I used to own and I had them remove the secondary cats and weld a straight pipe in each spot. Then I had the shop delete the mufflers and Y-pipe and they created an exhaust dump (tip) right after the resonator which was not visible at all.
All for $150. The muffler delete created a decent weight savings and acceleration was a lot smoother which made the car a little bit quicker according to the butt dyno. The sound was not raspy at all and I do not recall any real drone. The custom work really woke the car up and made it sound like how a Lexus V8 should sound. Perfect near stock sound at idle and vicious at WOT.
This is just a hack job on the exhaust. If anyone wants a proper setup do not do this get a mandrel bend true dual 2.5 inch exhaust.
Old 01-07-20, 01:10 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^I've never had issues with Borla, because I have never owned a Borla system. About 15 or 16 years ago, David Borla and I had a spirited discussion about Borla's exhaust systems in general. IMHO, they were crap then and they still are. From what I have gleaned from NinjaSocks's post, the muffler shop created a system with no added bends. However, with the dumps being right under the floor I'd be concerned with exhaust gases leaking into the passenger compartment. I wonder how they handled the exhaust exit in the rear bumper

Lou
Old 01-08-20, 03:52 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Borla's clamping system was a way to reduce manufacture costs while still offering an awesome bang for you buck exhaust system.

I too have had mine for 4 years or so now without any issue. It's also one of the few systems that doesn't rasp, drone, or sound like ****. So for price it really can't be beat. Wait for sales and it can be had for pretty damn cheap.
Old 01-08-20, 06:01 PM
NinjaSocks
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
This is just a hack job on the exhaust. If anyone wants a proper setup do not do this get a mandrel bend true dual 2.5 inch exhaust.
A hack job that increased performance and obtained a more desirable sound. The semi obstructive y-pipe was eliminated and so were the hefty mufflers. I was also able to retain the stock rear look of the quad tips.
Back when I had my F this exhaust mod made sense to me as I was trying to save money. If I had to do it over again this time around I would have gone for a setup with new headers and full true dual exhaust.
Old 01-14-20, 03:58 PM
davidborla
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Borla's clamping system was a way to reduce manufacture costs while still offering an awesome bang for you buck exhaust system.

I too have had mine for 4 years or so now without any issue. It's also one of the few systems that doesn't rasp, drone, or sound like ****. So for price it really can't be beat. Wait for sales and it can be had for pretty damn cheap.
If you guys ever have quality issues with our products, or any issues whatsoever, please contact us so we can make it right and if you're still not satisfied, ask for me directly so I can resolve the issue to your satisfaction.
The following 2 users liked this post by davidborla:
mike33 (01-14-20), MileHIFcar (01-15-20)

Quick Reply: People with a custom exhaust please chime in!