IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need Advice - Body Shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 07:54 AM
Ram3n
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need Advice - Body Shop

Im assuming when they blended the fender, they let this part run and it hardened.

overspray

Squishy texture
Hi guys, so a couple of weeks ago my front bumper was hit and I took it to a local body shop. I paid around $500 for a new OEM bumper and another $100 for the left and right brackets a long with a new washer fluid piece. In total it was around 1800 for a new bumper, L+R brackets, for them to paint it, blend it with my fenders, and install it back. Before I was hit I had the same gaps in the pictures, so I thought getting a new bumper and brackets would remedy that.

1. I saw some overspray (in pictures) on the driver side top corner of the front bumper
2. I saw the paint have some water in it? Not entirely sure why its raised up like that (in the picture with the green circle) but when I push down on it, its like a squishy texture and raises back up slowly (maybe paint trapped inside air bubble?)
3. I noticed the fender having some paint that looked like it hardened while dripping down.

My question is, for that price point, would you guys advise me to take it back to that body shop? I picked it up maybe 2 weeks ago. If I do take it back, should they address the gap issues? I paid them for painting and installing the new bumper and if the same gaps appeared again then I am assuming its a bracket issue up front or something.

My plan of attack right now is to take it back to the body shop for them to address the overspray, the squishy texture under the driver side headlight, and the hardened paint on the fender gap between fender and front bumper. As for the gap issues, maybe take it to Lexus? what do you guys recommend?

P.S the gap I have between the bottom of my headlights and the front bumper are there because the body shop didn't bolt on the brackets to the headlight, but just attached the bracket to the front bumper.
Old 04-02-19, 08:00 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 346 Likes on 218 Posts

That place you took your car to is absolutely terrible! Look at how they painted the corner of your lights and you paid $1800?! Dude you were absolutely screwed. Did you do any research prior to going there?
To me it looks like a huge rush job and threw everything on did a hose I left job taping everything off and painted your bumper while it was on and the spots they missed on your passenger headlight the whole corner of your light is painted the color of the car.
Old 04-02-19, 08:05 AM
Ram3n
Driver School Candidate

Surprisingly they've had good ratings! I know the owner as well. My car was there for about 10-12 days when I was originally quoted for 4-5 days. I did a lot of research prior to avoid things like this but here I am again lol.
Old 04-02-19, 08:10 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 346 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram3n
Surprisingly they've had good ratings! I know the owner as well. My car was there for about 10-12 days when I was originally quoted for 4-5 days. I did a lot of research prior to avoid things like this but here I am again lol.
Since you know the owner then go straight to him and tell him how unacceptable the work you received is. Plus you have to remember the majority of people at body shops don’t know anything about body work or really care because I’m sure if it looks ok in their eyes then everything is good to go. But let’s say people like us (I’m super OCD) I would be the guy everyone hates because I’m picky and notice things the average person their picking up there car would ever notice.
The following users liked this post:
Ram3n (04-02-19)
Old 04-02-19, 12:24 PM
AyAyRon
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm confused why this car ever drove off the body shop parking lot. Did you not inspect it before signing off on the work? Ray Charles could've seen these flaws.
Old 04-02-19, 02:09 PM
Ram3n
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AyAyRon
I'm confused why this car ever drove off the body shop parking lot. Did you not inspect it before signing off on the work? Ray Charles could've seen these flaws.
I picked it up after hours, and did not notice the imperfections until I took the bumper off to run a wire from the headlights to the fuse box, which was yesterday.
Old 04-02-19, 02:10 PM
Ram3n
Driver School Candidate

also update: Forgot that the 1800 is with my CF hood being redone, so it was 1500 after everything.
Old 04-03-19, 09:06 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I wouldn’t accept that, and would point it out to my friends at a car show. Orange peel can be seen from miles away. Looks terrible.
Old 04-03-19, 11:14 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

If the shop owner is a friend I'd go back and mention it, I'm fairly sure he wouldn't want that type of work representing his shop, especially on a rarer vehicle.
Old 04-03-19, 03:16 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Former body shop worker here\

-They didn't do proper tear down, evident with headlight overspray, who ever tapped it up did a **** job
-they didn't sand the bumper, i think 8th picture down that shows the driver side corner of the bumper it looks like a ton of orange peel, a ton.
- ^ same picture, looks like its already peeling the paint off, or could be angle.
-the last picture is from a drip that hardened on the tap the wrapped around the headlight, again evidence that they didn't spray it separately which they should have.
it also looks like they didnt clip it back on correctly
A. they didnt replace the brackets
B. they broke the tab insert on the bumper itself and maybe mickey moused it
C. they just didnt do their job right.

front bumper cost 457.54 (list) at least in my area . should have asked for the brackets but lets go with your 100. so round out minus parts cost you got the front bumper painted for 1200?

all in all its a **** poor job for the price you paid. for that price the bumper should have been removed, painted and sanded separate from the car, the compound around the corners is dead give away that they didn't. . for that price they should have removed the headlights to paint the fenders, not just that but sanded them better, i can see the orange peel dimple on the first pic on the bumper.
Old 04-03-19, 06:26 PM
tonykdee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it back. Just be upfront about it. This is more of an opportunity for the shop to better their workmanship and quality control. Hopefully your friend will appreciate the honest feedback and make it right.