IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Installing Figs rear diff bushings... have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 08:56 PM
Eurofreak
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Installing Figs rear diff bushings... have some questions

I'm finally getting around to installing Figs bushings on my diff. I bought the complete package with the pinion and rear bushings to make it an extra fun DIY project.
I assumed I had to drop the rear diff just as I've seen some SC guys do. Then I realized these axles don't have the typical bolts I'm used to simply disconnect the axles. They'd have to be pried out?
I used to build engines and some killer cars back in the days but I've become less motivated spending a whole day or weekend under the car. Do I need to drop the diff? Do axles need to come out? Looks like the rear exhaust section would also be good to get out of the way...

Anyone have some first hand experience with swapping these bushings out on the ISF? Figs has this DIY but its only for the front/pinion bushings: http://figsengineering.blogspot.com/...ff-pinion.html
Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-12-19, 10:48 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I just did the figs bushings today...Yes you'll need to drop the diff especially to do the rear sub-frame bushings. It took me about 6 hours with an hour break, I was in no rush and I was working with the car on jack stands while on my back...

steps you'll need to do:

1) drop exhaust
2) disconnect driveshaft from diff and drain diff fluid
3) support the diff and unbolt the pinion and rear bushings
4) pop axles out with pry bar, they come free very easily with a couple quick pops with the pry bar
5) lower diff and continue to make quick pops with the pry bar until the axles are fully removed from the diff
6) now the fun part... remove the sub-frame bushings and pinion bushings, I used an air hammer and it was still time consuming
7) install new bushings, they will just slide in very easily no pressing involved
8) re-install diff and axles, once you get the diff raised up just give the axles a couple hits with a rubber mallet to re-seat them
9) add diff fluid and bolt everything back
10) have cold beer

I'll try to add some pictures for you tomorrow...
There are a couple diy threads on here also that I took inspiration from before doing mine, if you do a search you should find them.

Last edited by mike33; 04-12-19 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (04-15-19)
Old 04-12-19, 11:26 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

So did you notice any great DIFFerence cheers.
Old 04-13-19, 12:10 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Originally Posted by mike33
I just did the figs bushings today...Yes you'll need to drop the diff especially to do the rear sub-frame bushings. It took me about 6 hours with an hour break, I was in no rush and I was working with the car on jack stands while on my back...

steps you'll need to do:

1) drop exhaust
4) pop axles out with pry bar, they come free very easily with a couple quick pops with the pry bar
5) lower diff and continue to make quick pops with the pry bar until the axles are fully removed from the diff
6) now the fun part... remove the sub-frame bushings and pinion bushings, I used an air hammer and it was still time consuming
7) install new bushings, they will just slide in very easily no pressing involved
8) re-install diff and axles, once you get the diff raised up just give the axles a couple hits with a rubber mallet to re-seat them
10) have cold beer

There are a couple diy threads on here also that I took inspiration from before doing mine, if you do a search you should find them.
Sounds just about right to me, especially the air chisel part, except I drove home to Atlanta from my dad's garage in Cedar Rapids instead of cracking the beer. I put a Giken spool in at the same time, so there was more to the job than just the bushings. The biggest difference is the wheel hop goes away. It's pretty sweet IMHO!
Old 04-15-19, 09:32 PM
Eurofreak
Driver

Originally Posted by mike33

steps you'll need to do:

1) drop exhaust
10) have cold beer

This is awesome! Thanks. Have a chance to post some pics? Might tackle this in a day or two.
Old 04-16-19, 09:37 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

This will need to be my next mod. I’m not super excited to do it. Still haven’t bought a house with a garage yet, so it’ll wait, unless I’m hopping all over the track now that I have more traction.
Old 04-16-19, 10:01 AM
SCORP69
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

6 hours to eliminate wheel hop. not sure I want to do this MOD. hahaha.
Jwconeil (04-16-19)
Old 04-16-19, 10:42 AM
BirgeyT1
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SCORP69
It's definitely a lot of work but it was for sure worth it to me.
Old 04-16-19, 09:34 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Eurofreak
This is awesome! Thanks. Have a chance to post some pics? Might tackle this in a day or two.

at this point diff is drained and unbolted being supported by floor jack, axle is starting to come free with slight to moderate pressure with a pry bar

view from further back

diff removed, axles supported with bungey cords

air hammer butchery on the sub frame bushing

old soft and cracked pinion bushing, also removed with air hammer

new FIGS pinion bushing installed

new FIGS sub frame bushings installed

Hope this helps give a little visual reference. Its really not that difficult, just time consuming working from jack stands... I think I could do the job in a couple hours less now that I've done it once.
Good luck

Last edited by mike33; 04-16-19 at 09:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike33:
Eurofreak (04-16-19), RJMacReady (03-26-23)
Old 04-16-19, 09:47 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SCORP69
Agreed its a bit time consuming, but after a toyota dealer quoted me $1500 and an independent shop $1000 I decided to do it myself... I just can't justify paying someone
a weeks wage for doing 4-6 hrs work. Both places talked about dropping the sub frame which is not necessary, but that's what the ''book'' calls for.

Last edited by mike33; 05-24-19 at 05:29 PM.
RJMacReady (03-26-23)
Old 04-16-19, 09:49 PM
Eurofreak
Driver

Super helpful @mike33. Appreciate it!
Old 04-16-19, 09:57 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Eurofreak
Super helpful @mike33. Appreciate it!
No problem, glad I could help.
Old 04-18-19, 12:52 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

These OEM bushes are voided for NVH did you notice and difference with the FIGS. PS good pics thanks.
Old 04-18-19, 08:41 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Originally Posted by isfvss
These OEM bushes are voided for NVH did you notice and difference with the FIGS. PS good pics thanks.
I have not noticed any difference in noise, vibrations or harshness. The rear seems more solid and planted now, although I haven't had a chance to fully push it (drag strip)
to see if the wheel hop is gone, I'm confident it will be.
Old 04-18-19, 10:15 PM
Eurofreak
Driver

Just knocked this job out. Took me 8 hours going at a very comfortable/slow pace. Hit some snags pulling out the old bushings as expected and removing/reinstalling the axles as there is only so much flex and room to work with. No noticeable increase in NVH.
EDIT: Just took the car on a 450 mile road trip. There is some subtle gear whine at 65-67mph and around 85-90mph. If I could go back in time, I'd pass on this mod.

Last edited by Eurofreak; 04-19-19 at 03:22 PM.
Positron (02-22-22)

Quick Reply: Installing Figs rear diff bushings... have some questions