IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Windshield Wiper Smear

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-19, 08:43 PM
Speedin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield Wiper Smear

I realize this isn't a very exciting topic. I have a 2011 IS F and the driver side wiper smears, even with new blades. I was hoping someone in this community had a solution to this problem. The windshield has been cleaned and there is nothing stuck to the wiper. The wipers are new aftermarket beam type wipers. The oem wipers that were on the vehicle were smearing just as badly. I tried to bend the wiper arm but it does not seem to be flexible enough to allow that. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 04-24-19, 01:14 PM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Have you tried cleaning the windshield with 0000 steel wool? Thats what we do when wipers do not clean well on new cars. Works well.
Old 04-24-19, 02:06 PM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same issue, and it seemed to have started when they replaced the bolts for a TSB for the windshield wipers. I just haven't gotten around to really messing with it but I've tried OEM and aftermarket blades. Same issue.
Old 04-24-19, 03:54 PM
duttymon
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i have this issue too. replaced oem inserts with new ones, cleaned them with almost everything i could think of, and still smears in the same spots over the same areas. i'm going to try steel wool and see if that helps.
Old 04-24-19, 06:37 PM
Speedin
Driver School Candidate

I havent tried steel wool yet. Ill give that a try and see what happens.
Old 04-24-19, 06:39 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 383 Likes on 225 Posts

Have always experienced this as well. May give Rain-X a shot.
Old 04-25-19, 08:01 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone tried this?

Old 04-25-19, 08:07 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ToDesi
I haven't done this, but I've used RainX and it seemed to work fine for a bit. Unfortunately, just like anything else it will eventually wear away.
Old 04-25-19, 04:15 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Have always experienced this as well. May give Rain-X a shot.
rainx on the front windshield made my wipers skip. i wouldn’t recommend it.
Old 04-25-19, 06:01 PM
Speedin
Driver School Candidate

*Update*
I went ahead and used 0000 steel wool on the entire windshield. Then I cleaned off all the steel bits that came off during that and tried the wipers. It still smeared but was slightly better. I had also purchased oem wiper blades to try. I switched out the wipers I had on (which were Michelin Optimum blades) for the oem wipers. I retried the wipers and I finally got a clean wipe. I tried it several times to make sure it wasn't just a fluke. It's a clean wipe every time now. So my recommendation to anyone that is having the smearing issue is to thoroughly clean the windshield, followed by light buffing with 0000 steel wool, then clean again, and then use oem wiper blades. If that doen't work, just get a new windshield
Old 04-26-19, 05:50 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Sweet glad that worked for you. You can try cleaning it some acid while using the steel wool. Together they remove almost everything on the glass. I forgot what acid we use, So I cant tell you exactly which one.
Old 04-26-19, 05:58 AM
NCRider
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a tube of windshield buffing compound that I've had for years. It works really well.
Old 04-26-19, 08:51 AM
AyAyRon
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Whenever I wax my cars, I wax the windshield as well. It does the same thing as applying Rain-X.
Old 04-26-19, 09:14 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this same complaint with my vehicle to Lexus and they ended up replacing my windshield. It is a lot better, but still smears. It's best when you have brand new wiper blades, but they are good only for a couple of months then go back. I will give the steel wool a shot.
Old 04-27-19, 04:25 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AyAyRon
Whenever I wax my cars, I wax the windshield as well. It does the same thing as applying Rain-X.
B-I-N-G-O.

I clean, scrape and polish the windshield on all my vehicles and always have done so. I view the windshield as another body panel due to it being forward facing and subject to all of the forced water, dirt, grime, bugs, etc. that the front end will see.

It's also slightly different glass than the other parts of the vehicle. All other glass gets treatment, but the windscreen is sealed, waxed and maintained like a painted body panel.

I also routinely wipe off my wiper blades with a paper towel that's been sprayed with a glass cleaner. You'd be amazed how much black rubber comes off and this simple, occasional wipe of the rubber will greatly prolong the life of the wiper blade rubber.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Smear