IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dead zone on gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-19, 08:49 AM
Kron1ck
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead zone on gas pedal

Hi all. So I just purchased a 08 isf with 86k . I'm in Wa st Seattle Tacoma area . Let me start off by saying that I love the car .I'm coming from a 14 gen coupe just had another kid so I needed something bigger but fun to drive. So that's how I got here now let me tell you about my issue.

Yes I have used the almighty search button but I still can't find what I'm looking for.

so if I'm on the gas and hitting it hard the power is there that's not the problem. but if I'm cruising around town and just kind of putting along at lower speeds I hit the gas sometimes and nothing . RPMs don't go up car doesn't move nothing's going on. it's just like it doesn't know I'm on the gas its hard to explain . I'm trying to figure out where to start to try to figure out the issue do I need to take it in. I don't notice it in sport mode but it only seems to happen in normal drive mode I also don't notice it when using the shift paddles.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ... thank you...
Old 04-28-19, 10:00 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,342 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...gas-pedal.html

Lou
Old 04-28-19, 12:16 PM
Kron1ck
Driver School Candidate

Hi thank you for the reply. That's good to know but not the issue that I'm having . My RPMs are not moving at all for about 1/4 of throttle then it kicks in. It's like it's not getting gas or the signal that it's being pressed at all.. is it a pump problem. If so wouldn't it happen in sport mode also
Old 04-28-19, 12:20 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Does it feel like the car is "thinking" which gear to go into when full throttle?
Old 04-28-19, 01:35 PM
Patrick76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
Does it feel like the car is "thinking" which gear to go into when full throttle?
+1 my ISF doing that everytime when I am trying floor it.
Old 04-28-19, 08:03 PM
Kron1ck
Driver School Candidate

Yes it also dose that as well. I believe that it just takes along time to get back into into a gear that has enough torque to give us the power that we're asking for.. from everything that I have read I just don't think that this transmission is just that good on down shifts. When your heavy on the has upshifts ar fast as advertised. But when just cruising around shift are slow and lazy . I get a lot of random shift points and hanging gears at times also some hard shifts now and then.

Today I was going down a hill long straight away not crazy steep lightly braking and all the sudden it shifts into 3rd and and the RPMs jump up to 5k and I couldn't get it to change up to 4th.. also came out my development in D with out sport on and it just hung in 3rd at around 5k for about 10 seconds with my foot off the gas until it finally kicked up to 4th.

Sorry I got of topic and started venting.. back to the original issue. It's more like I'll be at a light stopped and try to ease into the gas and I just nothing no rev no movement.

Like I said I have only had the car about 2 weeks now and I'm constantly noticing that it just dose some weird things.. there are no more in my state to go drive to compare it to I bought the last 1 . That might be why it was the last..lol... Also it has no nav I thot that was the reason but maybe I was wrong. Maybe just maybe I bought a lemon...

Thanks for reading my story if you made it this far dam I didn't realize it was that long.. sorry.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 04-29-19 at 01:57 PM. Reason: misspelled and starred out
Old 04-28-19, 09:11 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

A video would help

As for the way this transmission shifts, yes it takes some getting used to

I sometimes use the left paddle and then M mode to help me with downshifts
Old 04-28-19, 09:34 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kron1ck
Yes it also dose that as well. I believe that it just takes along time to get back into into a gear that has enough torque to give us the power that we're asking for.. from everything that I have read I just don't think that this transmission is just that good on down shifts. When your heavy on the has upshifts ar fast as advertised. But when just cruising around shift are slow and lazy . I get a lot of random **** points and hanging gears at times also some hard shifts now and then.

Today I was going down a hill long straight away not crazy steep lightly braking and all the sudden it shifts into 3rd and and the RPMs jump up to 5k and I couldn't get it to change up to 4th.. also came out my development in D with out sport on and it just hung in 3rd at around 5k for about 10 seconds with my foot off the gas until it finally kicked up to 4th.

Sorry I got of topic and started venting.. back to the original issue. It's more like I'll be at a light stopped and try to ease into the gas and I just nothing no rev no movement.

Like I said I have only had the car about 2 weeks now and I'm constantly noticing that it just dose some weird things.. there are no more in my state to go drive to compare it to I bought the last 1 . That might be why it was the last..lol... Also it has no nav I thot that was the reason but maybe I was wrong. Maybe just maybe I bought a lemon...

Thanks for reading my story if you made it this far dam I didn't realize it was that long.. sorry.
I sense what your are talking about it. I honestly think all ISF has that "thinking" pattern when on WOT from a cruising gear. To get rid of that pedal feel, most people get the Apexi throttle controller. What you are also experiencing is transmission flare. It's a widely talked about experience too. Keeping it short, a good transmission fluid check/top off usually solves all the issues with the transmission. Although that requires tech stream and a bunch of teduis procedures.
Old 04-28-19, 09:40 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

To get rid of that pedal feel, most people get the Apexi throttle controller.
Not really. Most of us just drive in Sport Mode. I know I don't feel the issue plaguing the OP. I never drive in regular mode. Over 10 years now, and it's just habit for me to press the Sport button after the start button.

Lou
Old 04-29-19, 04:27 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 89 Posts

Maybe the throttle body is dirty and the blade is sticking. Happened on my LS400.

The trans top top off is pretty simple and you don’t need tech stream.
Old 04-29-19, 07:08 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel like if I press the gas pedal slowly in non-sport mode and in full auto, it will try to accelerate without switching gears. And yes, if that happens to be in 7th gear or so, it will be a snooze fest. If I press the gas pedal down a little bit quicker, the car will downshift. With that said, to the OP, this is a heavily computerized car. It will not only take you time to learn how to best drive it, but the ECU will learn your habits too. Give it time.
Old 04-29-19, 08:28 AM
Kron1ck
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the feed back. I did rest the ECU to let it start over and hopefully erase the old drivers habits.. is this the right 1 that your talking about.

the 58$ that's pretty cheap if so I'll give it a try.. now that I'm looking at it . I think it's just the harness.. can someone post a link to the best place to buy ..

Last edited by Kron1ck; 04-29-19 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 08:32 AM
bakalag
Intermediate

Received 423 Likes on 122 Posts

Could be a computer learning thing as mentioned. You can try resetting the ECU so it learns your driving habits from scratch. My car always feels sluggish after a reset but it learns after a while and it feels better. I noticed that when I drive other people's F's also, depending on their driving style, some "lag" and some are "more responsive" in Normal mode.
Old 04-29-19, 09:13 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kron1ck
Thank you all for the feed back. I did rest the ECU to let it start over and hopefully erase the old drivers habits.. is this the right 1 that your talking about.
Read this thread before you decide. Personally, I'm staying away from this device;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-problem.html

As posted above, Sport Mode works for me

Lou
Old 04-29-19, 02:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,971 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Actually the first thing you need to do is check the fluid level in the gearbox. All the symptoms you describe have been present on my car when the fluid level is just a little bit low - indecisive shifts, throttle lag especially going down hill on cold cycle, shift hangs after an aggressive turn, etc...setting the fluid level right made a HUGE difference in performance, especially when cold.

I'd bet money you're about four ounces low right now.

Quick Reply: Dead zone on gas pedal