IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Cusco vs OS giken LSD

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-19, 10:48 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 347 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Cusco vs OS giken LSD

I’m wondering if anyone here has purchased the Cusco LSD RR racing has for sale. Wondering what the differences if any between the two their are aside from cost. Also for those who went from a Torsen LSD to the giken or cusco how much better it is and if you could elaborate on it. Thanks.
Old 05-12-19, 07:24 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Here I thought more people had purchased the Cusco lsd to fill in what it’s like.
Old 05-13-19, 02:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,982 Likes on 2,410 Posts

I only remember one person on the IS F forum talking about purchasing the Cusco unit. The only difference I can imagine between the Giken and Cusco is long term reliability. As I understand it, you'll be rebuilding the Cusco unit fairly regularly. The Giken unit won't need to be removed for rebuilding as long as you run their oil. That said, I imagine if you are a hard core track junkie, you'll find yourself having to rebuild any clutch based limited slip at some point. The feedback I've seen on the Giken is its pretty rare and you need to be doing something like drift competitively to put any significant wear on it. I'd also hazard a guess that you'd need to be pretty competitive to feel a significant difference between the two on installation, but I would expect the Cusco to chatter where the Giken does not.
Old 05-13-19, 02:35 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I only remember one person on the IS F forum talking about purchasing the Cusco unit. The only difference I can imagine between the Giken and Cusco is long term reliability. As I understand it, you'll be rebuilding the Cusco unit fairly regularly. The Giken unit won't need to be removed for rebuilding as long as you run their oil. That said, I imagine if you are a hard core track junkie, you'll find yourself having to rebuild any clutch based limited slip at some point. The feedback I've seen on the Giken is its pretty rare and you need to be doing something like drift competitively to put any significant wear on it. I'd also hazard a guess that you'd need to be pretty competitive to feel a significant difference between the two on installation, but I would expect the Cusco to chatter where the Giken does not.
Any specific reason why you say the Cusco would need rebuilds more frequently? Have you seen or heard of someone having to do that or are these assumptions? I know you have the giken. What do you think of it vs the Torsen? Aside from the fact when one wheel comes off the ground it acts like an open diff.
Old 05-13-19, 06:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If I were planning to keep my Supra long term, I would replace the factory Torsen with the Giken spool. It's that much better. Torsens act like open diffs if one wheel loses all traction, so if you're really on it and getting the front end loaded on turn exit, the rear wheel will be off the ground and the Torsen will do nothing for you.

Cusco needing rebuilds was discussed in another thread here with someone who planned to track his car. It is generally accepted in the track driving community the Cusco will need service routinely where the Giken doesn't. But you really pay for it up front. Last I looked there is about a $1k price difference. Of course if you look at the time and effort of servicing the unit, you could eat up that $1k pretty quickly. I daily my car, so I chose service life over price. I have never looked back. Best thing I've done to the car yet by far.
Old 05-13-19, 06:51 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

If I were planning to keep my Supra long term, I would replace the factory Torsen with the Giken spool. It's that much better. Torsens act like open diffs if one wheel loses all traction, so if you're really on it and getting the front end loaded on turn exit, the rear wheel will be off the ground and the Torsen will do nothing for you.

Cusco needing rebuilds was discussed in another thread here with someone who planned to track his car. It is generally accepted in the track driving community the Cusco will need service routinely where the Giken doesn't. But you really pay for it up front. Last I looked there is about a $1k price difference. Of course if you look at the time and effort of servicing the unit, you could eat up that $1k pretty quickly. I daily my car, so I chose service life over price. I have never looked back. Best thing I've done to the car yet by far.
Sounds like I should have just waiting and bought the giken vs an oem torsen. Any wheel chirp on tight turns?
Old 05-13-19, 08:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Sounds like I should have just waiting and bought the giken vs an oem torsen. Any wheel chirp on tight turns?
None. I can make a power on full lock u-turn and it sounds no different than the open spool.
Old 05-14-19, 05:49 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

As Lobux had mentioned, the OS Giken TCD behaves like an open diff on tight turns. The TCD-spec (3rd Gen version of the OS Giken LSDs) is significantly more progressive to 100% lock compared to the original Super Lock LSD (due to the oil channels on the clutch plates) which makes it very predictable to apply the proper amount of power around a corner without the tires breaking loose suddenly.

Last edited by redspencer; 05-14-19 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 07:00 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I've changed my stock Torsen LSD to the OSGiken unit on my MKIV Supra so I can definitely attest to the fact that the OS Giken unit is leaps and bounds a better unit. The OSG unit does a much better job of getting power to the ground and it literally feels like you have "4 wheel steering"...not sure how else to describe it. You can apply throttle through a turn and till literally drive the rear wheels through the corner in a very predictable manner. It's one of the best upgrades I've made to my Supra. I suspect if you have the stock Torsen and wanted to upgrade the OSG unit you'll notice a big difference also, but is it worth the cost? I guess it all depends on what you want out of your car. The stock Torsen is good enough, but the OSG is for those who aren't satisfied with "good enough" and really want to push your car to the limit. The only reason I haven't put the OSG unit in my IS-F is the $2K+ cost...the MKIV unit was substantially cheaper. Plus my Supra is my main fun weekend toss around car, the ISF is the daily cruiser, so in that regards the Torsen in the IS-F is "good enough".
The following users liked this post:
tas02 (05-15-19)
Old 05-14-19, 07:52 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Awesome feedback from all the guys who have or have had an os giken lsd. I wonder if anyone on the forums has the Cusco one installed and can give some feedback on it.
Old 05-14-19, 08:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Here are some owner's reviews of the Cusco unit. Definitely sounds like a lot more work in making it happy and definitely sounds like there is some chatter with it that does not exist on the OS Giken. The second link is from someone who has run multiple units including the Cusco and OS Giken in a 370Z. Pretty clear the Giken is the most civilized for street use.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...y-r160/reviews

http://www.the370z.com/3263786-post5.html

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-14-19 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 07:30 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Here are some owner's reviews of the Cusco unit. Definitely sounds like a lot more work in making it happy and definitely sounds like there is some chatter with it that does not exist on the OS Giken. The second link is from someone who has run multiple units including the Cusco and OS Giken in a 370Z. Pretty clear the Giken is the most civilized for street use.

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...y-r160/reviews

http://www.the370z.com/3263786-post5.html
Thank you for that. When you bought the os giken were any adjustments made prior to install or does everyone install it as it comes right out the box?
Old 05-15-19, 09:34 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Thank you for that. When you bought the os giken were any adjustments made prior to install or does everyone install it as it comes right out the box?
Though adjustments are possible, from what I've read, everyone here installs their OS Giken LSD without further tuning.

One highly recommended upgrade to supplement this mod is to replace the OEM rubber bushings on the differential with an aftermarket set (FIGS offers a complete kit) in order to minimize/eliminate potential wheel hop.
Old 05-15-19, 09:41 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Originally Posted by redspencer
Though adjustments are possible, from what I've read, everyone here installs their OS Giken LSD without further tuning.

One highly recommended upgrade to supplement this mod is to replace the OEM rubber bushings on the differential with an aftermarket set (FIGS offers a complete kit) in order to minimize/eliminate potential wheel hop.
Thanks I already have the diff and subframe bushings along with every single arm figs offers for the front and rear and all my bushings are super pro.
Old 06-29-19, 06:27 AM
DarioGi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got Cusco LSD installed on my 11ISF earlier this after my diff failed at 65k. It's pretty loud at low speeds/parking lots - no sound when driving normally. You'll need oil change at 500 miles (and at few other intervals I believe) so that also adds to the cost of it.
The following users liked this post:
viprez586 (10-14-19)

Quick Reply: Cusco vs OS giken LSD