IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-19, 10:05 AM
NCRider
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New suspension parts

Took my IS F in for an alignment and the toe is so far out even bushing wouldn't correct it. My alignment guy suggested adjustable links. I ordered the TruHarts because he said the Godspeed's are crap. Taking it in Tuesday, I'll post up on the results.

Old 05-18-19, 02:37 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

That must be rear toe. You must be super low or some other problem exists let us know how you go.
Old 05-18-19, 07:22 PM
NCRider
Driver

Originally Posted by isfvss
That must be rear toe. You must be super low or some other problem exists let us know how you go.
Yes the toe was out 1.8 and 1.9 front and rear. This guy is good, all my research into the problem he already knew, really impressed me. He said the bushing would only get me .5 which is correct and that the ball replacement was not reliable. He also steered me away from Godspeed, said that the build quality was not good.
Old 05-18-19, 10:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Is the car slammed?
Old 05-18-19, 11:49 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by NCRider
Yes the toe was out 1.8 and 1.9 front and rear. This guy is good, all my research into the problem he already knew, really impressed me. He said the bushing would only get me .5 which is correct and that the ball replacement was not reliable. He also steered me away from Godspeed, said that the build quality was not good.
Are you sure its the toe that is out? The numbers you are using 1.8 and 1.9 sound like camber numbers and the adjustable front and rear upper control arms in the picture would only adj camber...
If it is the camber that's at 1.8 and 1.9, and I assume -1.8 and -1.9, those numbers while out of spec are not terrible and would most likely not cause any tire wear...
Also on the rear it's better to adjust camber with an adjustable lower control arm instead of the upper #2 arm in the picture, but that upper should get you the adjustment you want.

I do agree that the godspeed arms are not the best quality, I ordered a set for my is350 and returned them after seeing the welds.
Old 05-19-19, 05:13 AM
NCRider
Driver

Sorry, yes camber and toe were out. No, car is not lowered. The front and rear tires are wearing very bad on the inside, the fronts are cupping also. Funny, the car drives great with no pulling. But it is loose at highway speeds/windy conditions.
Old 05-19-19, 10:29 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If those were your camber numbers and you are at OEM ride height, something else is very wrong with your chassis. Personally, I would not run the upper arms you bought. Those six little bolts are minimally up to the task they face and I would not trust them. The only adjustable upper arm I have seen that I trust is made by Figs Engineering. They're not cheap, but they're a proper design that can't slip in service where everything else I have seen could. But beyond that, you need to measure your ride height to be sure someone didn't do something bad to your car. You should never see camber numbers like that on the front from the factory.

Also - the wear you are seeing is a result of toe with only a small contribution from camber. Toe is critical to wear, far more than camber under +/-2.5 degrees. The other issues in the front are the lower control arm bushings, especially the rear one. They flex way too much from the factory and the front wheels toe out very hard under braking. These are well known issues with the factory setup and many of us have replaced the OEM bushings with polyurethane or solid units to stabilize the car under heavy braking and to reduce edge tire wear.

Your alignment guy should be checking all your bushings first. Have you owned this car from new?
The following users liked this post:
vertex16 (05-20-19)
Old 05-20-19, 02:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Since this is a new to you '08, I have a funny feeling this car was previously lowered by someone who didn't know what they were doing and it resulted in premature bushing wear. The person lowering the car is supposed to loosen the bushing bolts, set the new normal ride height, and then tighten the bolts so the bushings are in a neutral position when the car is static. Failing to do this puts a permanent stress on the bushing and causes the rubber to fail prematurely. I would be checking this closely as it is pretty common for shops to fail on this procedure. I've seen plenty of You Tube videos where people were lowering their cars and ignored this step from from the factory service manual, and I'm not talking just Civics or Corollas.
The following users liked this post:
vertex16 (05-22-19)
Old 05-20-19, 10:11 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Do you have a printout from the alignment tech? It would be nice to see what the actual numbers are.
Old 05-21-19, 11:59 AM
NCRider
Driver

Just got the car back, didn't need the rears. Seems the bushing bolts in the rear were froze and binding, they had to cut them out. Also the rear adjustable camber did not fit. The tapered end was too small and did not tighten.
Below is a shot of the end result.