View Poll Results: Upgrade mods or upgrade car
Keep it as is and enjoy it you dummy
31.15%
Moar power ftw, get the headers and yolo
57.38%
Upgrade to something new
11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Rant: Keep modding the F at 100k or sell/upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-19, 07:13 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Rant: Keep modding the F at 100k or sell/upgrade?

Was hoping for some advice from you fellas and as always this has been a great forum for it. I'm going to put TLDR upfront and say should I keep modding/owning the F and how OR jump to an 11+ or something different like RCF/ATSV/C63/F80M/911 etc. Otherwise here is the morning rant:

Basically I've had the 08 for 2.5 years, my own 66k miles for a total of 95k. The car is great, and out of 20+ cars, I've kept the F more than twice as long as any other. Other than the valley plate leak at 87k(luckily fixed by the dealer with only 10% cost to me), it has been nearly flawless and had regular maintenance which has been fairly cheap. The first set of BC coilovers did start giving up, but they also had 50k on them. The door panels/dash are still perfect even though there's the extended CSP on them. I have HKS coilovers, borla with muffler delete exhaust, RR Racingtune, Joez intake elbow with AFE dry, Rays wheels, Figs LCA, and aesthetics like upgraded/modified headlights 2011 style, taillights, lip kits/diffusers, etc. The car has been a great daily driver with the first two years adding up to 60k, and a great daily for taking the wife and dog around. The v8 sound is amazing and I can't think of many 4 door sleepers that are better, and to boot I avg 20-21 mpg, with 28-29 highway. When I tell people it's 10+ years old and keeps up or even beats their brand new Scat Pack/5.0 Mustang/RCF/S4 etc they're surprised to say the least.

Recently my commute has been cut by half so miles will be maybe 15-20k a year and at this point I am considering the PPE headers and RR intake to max the car out as far as power and mods available (SC is out of the question as at that point it wouldn't be a daily). I'd like PPE as the quality seems to be top notch, but on the other hand Sikky's shop is 20 minutes from me, perhaps the V2 may be worth a try? I'd also like to repaint the front bumper(lots of chips and hit some chicken wire in 2018) and fix or go to a different style diffuser(current one has 2 small spots where the rubber has gotten old), and with 100k nearing I'd likely need to replace the water pump and radiator, as well as keep a little change around for the usual 100k+ replacements like hoses/bushings/CV joints/etc etc. I was recommended to do a compression test first, to see if that car is healthy and worth modding further. Since we'll be messing with them, I was considering replacing the spark plugs by the RR Racing recommended NGK iridiums(not to be confused with their Brisk Silver Racing plugs for SC applications). But even with all this, I still have a wonky suspension, no LSD, and paint chips showing that the car is 11 years old. The suspension even with new coilovers in February is showing signs of age and in general while loaded with bumper sensors front and rear, nav, ML, etc, the tech is a decade old. Plus with the borla+muffler delete and headers I'll need to put the mufflers back on, adding even more to the $$.

The question I keep asking myself is, is an 11 year old car with 95k miles worth dumping $4-5k in headers/bumper paint/maintenance etc just to keep it for another year or so? I can't imagine keeping it further than 120k, but I said that a year ago when I had 60k about 90k..My constant car upgrading over the years has me itching like crazy for something new/different and I've been nonstop looking at CTSV2, ATSV, F80M, and even the RCF or a sports car/daily combo like a CT200h or GS350 and a 911 or C6 for the fun days. Pretty much all of those are faster than even an FBO/tune ISF, but power isn't the main priority. Hell I'd love a GSF above all, but my budget with mods is $45k max...I do like the RCF more than I did a year ago, but the 2 door kills it for taking the dog everywhere. Honestly if I could have found an 11+ ISF that is already FBO and preferably with red interior for a good price I would bite.

So TLDR2: should I keep the car as is and replace what needs it when it breaks, mod the car to max NA levels and fix it up, or upgrade to something different.

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 06-10-19 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-10-19, 08:54 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 346 Likes on 218 Posts

The question really becomes how much money do you want to save vs spend. Getting a new car will cost more plus eventually getting the itch to mod those as well. I have an 08 with 116k miles and still love it but I’ve gone all out on it so their is no point in me selling it plus I’ll never recover that money again. Personally I would go with PPE headers because the port on the head is 1.5” in size. PPE headers are 1 3/4 which is already bigger then the port size. V2 sikky headers are 1 7/8 which is even bigger still and without a doubt would lose bottom end. Doing headers, motor mounts, RR intake and a Torsen or giken/Cusco diff and it will feel like you have a brand new car all over again. As far as coilovers I went Penske and could never get less. I went with 2 piece rotors F+R and that was also night and day along with winmax 4 pads.
The following users liked this post:
LexusfanVA (06-10-19)
Old 06-10-19, 10:18 AM
Lundy11
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely a tough one. I just picked up a 2014 but was cross shopping F80M's and C63's since they depreciate so quickly they were similar in price to a 14 ISF. I was even looking at RCF's as they're already cheaper than the 14 ISF's I had found. I kept coming back to the ISF though just cause I never see them and the sleeper aspect of the car. I'll vote keep and enjoy
Old 06-10-19, 10:31 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

I've owned mine for almost ten years...its my daily driver, an 2008 with 68k miles with 2010 LSD and I have no plans of selling it, would rather drive it into the ground until wheels fall off.

Maintain it and daily drive it and then pick up something that is faster and more aftermarket friendly for a fun weekend car.
The following 4 users liked this post by MisterSkiz:
BS ISF (06-13-19), Gymkata (06-14-19), lobuxracer (06-11-19), Rickna (06-13-19)
Old 06-11-19, 06:17 AM
8cyl
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hahaha, I bought my 11' F about 3 months ago, then put performance package and cat-back exhaust from RR Racing right away.
I knew I was going to keep it til its death.
For now it's my daily,

I wanted to see that spending as part of maintenance, and it changed car in many ways.

Last edited by 8cyl; 06-11-19 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-11-19, 06:28 AM
Nikeboi09
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Like most of the members above me, I plan on keeping mine until the wheels fall off, which shouldn't happen with proper maintenance lol. RR racing will keep adding power and upgrades to the ISF. So, I will keep upgrading the car at my own pace. Plenty of ISF's with high miles running strong.
Old 06-11-19, 08:00 AM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

If your budget is unlimited get what you like, you only live once! A year ago im motivated to get a new platform to replaced the aging isf, more on a track focus car, few here are jumping to gtr. For me thats not a driver car on the track. Rcf is heavy! I waited for supra but dont like the bmw thing. So I decided to transform my ISF to a capable trackcar. The os giken mod,surprised me a lot, how this car behaves in the corners!!! Get it if you want to feel something new with ur car. I still feel excited everytime i saw my F in my garage.
Old 06-11-19, 09:20 AM
Nikeboi09
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdsong
If your budget is unlimited get what you like, you only live once! A year ago im motivated to get a new platform to replaced the aging isf, more on a track focus car, few here are jumping to gtr. For me thats not a driver car on the track. Rcf is heavy! I waited for supra but dont like the bmw thing. So I decided to transform my ISF to a capable trackcar. The os giken mod,surprised me a lot, how this car behaves in the corners!!! Get it if you want to feel something new with ur car. I still feel excited everytime i saw my F in my garage.
This right here, everytime I'm walking away from the car, I still look back to it with excitement.
Old 06-11-19, 12:54 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by ljdsong
If your budget is unlimited get what you like, you only live once!
Like he ^^^^^ said here if you have the budget get a car within your price range and try something new. Life is too short to enjoy things and that means not being afraid to try something different and out of your comfort zone.

That being said, I suggest you get a different car/beater just for your shorter commute and save the F for weekend status. I don't daily mine, I drive a minivan and the F comes out on the weekends for Mexico sessions and triple digit clearing of it's lungs

Save the car for special occasions and it will feel new to you when you do drive it. If not screw it and get a F80 M3 and do full boltons with that thing and have some fun, just budget in for the maintenance part.
Old 06-11-19, 01:36 PM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Newest Porsche 911 for $40k + $5k Honda Civic = Fun and reliability
If you are gonna sell it next year, why not sell it now?
Old 06-11-19, 10:55 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ninten5
Newest Porsche 911 for $40k + $5k Honda Civic = Fun and reliability
If you are gonna sell it next year, why not sell it now?

like this!!!, hot hatch track champ!
Old 06-12-19, 06:21 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses and votes gentlemen. The problem is, I love daily driving the car yet tend to put a lot of miles on it. Not a complaint, just a factor that I value my smiles per mile lol. I used to do 40k a year, but last two years have been down to 30k and now I'm thinking it'll be closer to 15-20k, possibly higher next year. Hence why I've had 10 different cars just in the past 11 years, and about 23 total though many I drove and flipped through college. Daily driving a $5k car coming from a 460hp reliable and fairly efficient sedan sounds like by far the worst option for me, though a CT hybrid the wife can share and a 2 seater isn't out of the question. While I understand the thrill of jumping into a fun car every few days, the ISF has always been the practical choice and thus I'm back to selling it for something more fun.

Basically with headers/intake, ceramic coating, starter, water pump, radiator, bumper refresh, engine mounts, alignment, installs, I'm just under $5k and hoping not much else other than basic maintenance like oil/spark plugs/brakes/tires will be needed from 95-140k miles. If I were to sell the car and all of the parts(half of which were bought to upgrade the 08 closer to an 11 like the coilovers/lights/etc) I'm looking at $30-31k. Enough for a 2011+ ISF with half the miles to start fresh and throw headers/exhaust/wheels etc at it while having the LSD/lights/suspension improvements etc . Or just an RCF or something with maybe $2-4k for mods. As far as why not sell it now, simply put, there's not many 11+ ISF's for sale, and RCF's aren't in the color combo's I want and it's prime driving weather in MD.

Got some thinking to do
Old 06-12-19, 12:26 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 166 Likes on 99 Posts

Tough dilemma. And everyone's different. I'm in a similar situation with my 08 that I bought 5 years ago with 5k miles on it. It is now pushing 80k miles as it is my daily driver in all 4 seasons. So while it feels a little tired (a little wear and tear), I don't plan to sell her anytime soon. Hell, I'm heading to the track this weekend with 2 more later this summer. How many cars are fun to drive daily and on the track and keep on running without issues? Not many.
Plus, I've got a decent amount of mods ($$$), and I will never recoup that cost. So instead, I will continue to enjoy the car instead of someone else enjoying it.
But maybe I'm a little different. In my 30 years of driving, I have owned just 4 cars (not counting the spouse's car listed in my sig) - and I still own 2 of them (bulletproof IS300 for 17 years and ISF for 5 years).
But the temptation for something newer and faster does exist.
Enjoy the ride man!
Old 06-12-19, 09:27 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Thanks for all of the responses and votes gentlemen. The problem is, I love daily driving the car yet tend to put a lot of miles on it. Not a complaint, just a factor that I value my smiles per mile lol. I used to do 40k a year, but last two years have been down to 30k and now I'm thinking it'll be closer to 15-20k, possibly higher next year. Hence why I've had 10 different cars just in the past 11 years, and about 23 total though many I drove and flipped through college. Daily driving a $5k car coming from a 460hp reliable and fairly efficient sedan sounds like by far the worst option for me, though a CT hybrid the wife can share and a 2 seater isn't out of the question. While I understand the thrill of jumping into a fun car every few days, the ISF has always been the practical choice and thus I'm back to selling it for something more fun.

Basically with headers/intake, ceramic coating, starter, water pump, radiator, bumper refresh, engine mounts, alignment, installs, I'm just under $5k and hoping not much else other than basic maintenance like oil/spark plugs/brakes/tires will be needed from 95-140k miles. If I were to sell the car and all of the parts(half of which were bought to upgrade the 08 closer to an 11 like the coilovers/lights/etc) I'm looking at $30-31k. Enough for a 2011+ ISF with half the miles to start fresh and throw headers/exhaust/wheels etc at it while having the LSD/lights/suspension improvements etc . Or just an RCF or something with maybe $2-4k for mods. As far as why not sell it now, simply put, there's not many 11+ ISF's for sale, and RCF's aren't in the color combo's I want and it's prime driving weather in MD.

Got some thinking to do
The longer you wait, the less '11+'s will be on the road. And you're better off getting the '12+ for the added few features over the '11 if you're going to sell yours and step up. If you're going to jump, jump.

V.
Old 06-17-19, 02:59 AM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue. Thought about what my next car could be. Wish they made a new isf. Peaked at a gs-f.

End run pretty much have maxed out mods
PPE headers
Rr racing tune and intaken
Joez exhaust
Rr racing mounts
KW v3
Sways

Recently the only thing that is starting to look out dated to me is the front end.

I'm nearing 400k on the car and just can't find anything else to replace it.
Almost considered a Shelby gt350
New amg c63s
Cts-v
M4

Quick Reply: Rant: Keep modding the F at 100k or sell/upgrade?