IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

RR Racing new “basic” supercharger kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 06:12 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

I hear ya on a long road trip, but when that happens we just take our Honda Odyssey, we have 3 kids and that thing hauls in comfort plus some The F is not my daily just a weekend car and therefore I can be more specific on when I use E85 when filling up.

Well it'll be interesting to see the price of the street kit with an intercooler added in? Maybe it'll still be cost effective compared to the standard kit?
Old 09-23-19, 01:03 PM
illwillem
Pit Crew

Received 451 Likes on 132 Posts

Just caught up on this thread, pretty cool stuff from RR to still be making these types of R&D intensive parts from a somewhat niche chassis. Props to them. I am kinda shocked by some of the comments here. People saying its NEEDS to have such and such power, it NEEDS to cost X, it NEEDS to run like this.. I can only imagine the restraint it takes for the guy behind the keyboard over at RR to not rage respond to some of the inanity. For perspective, the objective to this kit is so people can 'save money supercharging their car'... That bears repeating, this is for someone that wants to "save money supercharging a car" aside from that statement being an bit of an oxy-moron in and of itself it would be worth pointing out that there's a kit that fulfills every single must haves requested in this thread... Ready?.. Its called the RR625 Supercharger Kit- and it costs $9950. What's more; its already developed, is in production and it has proven results.

Im not sure (the few) complainers on here realize what's at stake releasing a FI kit. I could be wrong, but napkin math tells me at this price point vs market share vs the amount of R&D required to make something like this is almost a labor of love. On the flip side releasing a half baked product can actually be extremely detrimental to business. At risk of putting to fine a point on it again- this isn't even the only supercharger kit they have available to this platform. They did it right the first time and are circling back because they believe there is a few $$ they can shave. What this tells me as a savvy consumer is that the first RR625 kit is well (over) engineered and is the one i want on my car.
There is definitely room for discussion and banter about some of the finer points and specifics, but be realistic about your expectations and where this kit slots into the SC line up.. In the end you have to make up your own mind, Is blending/methonol/e85 worth saving 3 grand to you? Its not like they just didn't think of building this kit without needing meth/blend/e85- cuz guess what, that's where your 3k went, is that worth it to you? To some, Yes. Great, sold. If the answer is 'No' i got a link for ya. https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...isfscr1001.htm
The following 13 users liked this post by illwillem:
autoz4me (10-05-19), GregCanada (12-21-21), isfvss (10-11-19), jguy46514 (10-04-19), liquidtek (09-23-19), lobuxracer (10-04-19), mike33 (09-23-19), MileHIFcar (09-23-19), minator (10-04-19), MLRSTJ (09-24-19), Patton6964 (09-23-19), RRRacing (10-15-19), Weapon F (10-11-19) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-04-19, 07:45 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on this? I see that RR Racing took down their supercharger kit for the IS-F.
Old 10-05-19, 04:49 AM
CrustyBuck
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope not that was one of the factors I took into consideration was aftermarket support for power adders! That would be heartbreaking if the ability to make power was limited to just I/H/E and a tune 😭
Old 10-05-19, 05:35 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by CrustyBuck
I hope not that was one of the factors I took into consideration was aftermarket support for power adders! That would be heartbreaking if the ability to make power was limited to just I/H/E and a tune 😭
Now that they have two kits, they are probably just restructuring their website.
Old 10-05-19, 04:26 PM
nvsaccord
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rafi posted on FB that he was going to put the street kit on the website on Monday.
Old 10-06-19, 10:34 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 346 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by CrustyBuck
You forget nitrous? You have any idea how much of a game changer that is? Check on YouTube FBO ISF in Puerto Rico running 10’s in the quarter mile.
Old 10-06-19, 03:10 PM
CrustyBuck
Rookie

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
You forget nitrous? You have any idea how much of a game changer that is? Check on YouTube FBO ISF in Puerto Rico running 10’s in the quarter mile.

No nitrous here. I live in Okinawa. Lucky to find methanol on yahoo auctions for way more than its worth, the fees and tax and everything else make even that s terrible investment, let alone any other alternative fuel. No e85 just 100ron. Also, with what the car would be used for, (no drag strips) I couldn’t run nitrous, autocross and circuit tracks. Can’t be on the switch the whole time that would be expensive and dangerous, and I’m sure I’d be barred from the tracks as well, definitely wouldn’t pass the biannual inspections either. Trust me, I wish I could get at least some e85.
Old 10-07-19, 08:43 AM
nickj718
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

They are putting it on the site today. I also just left a review on this site, Im running the only street kit currently. My car was used as the test mule.
The following users liked this post:
Positron (10-07-19)
Old 10-10-19, 04:19 AM
CrustyBuck
Rookie

Originally Posted by illwillem
Just caught up on this thread, pretty cool stuff from RR to still be making these types of R&D intensive parts from a somewhat niche chassis. Props to them. I am kinda shocked by some of the comments here. People saying its NEEDS to have such and such power, it NEEDS to cost X, it NEEDS to run like this.. I can only imagine the restraint it takes for the guy behind the keyboard over at RR to not rage respond to some of the inanity. For perspective, the objective to this kit is so people can 'save money supercharging their car'... That bears repeating, this is for someone that wants to "save money supercharging a car" aside from that statement being an bit of an oxy-moron in and of itself it would be worth pointing out that there's a kit that fulfills every single must haves requested in this thread... Ready?.. Its called the RR625 Supercharger Kit- and it costs $9950. What's more; its already developed, is in production and it has proven results.

Im not sure (the few) complainers on here realize what's at stake releasing a FI kit. I could be wrong, but napkin math tells me at this price point vs market share vs the amount of R&D required to make something like this is almost a labor of love. On the flip side releasing a half baked product can actually be extremely detrimental to business. At risk of putting to fine a point on it again- this isn't even the only supercharger kit they have available to this platform. They did it right the first time and are circling back because they believe there is a few $$ they can shave. What this tells me as a savvy consumer is that the first RR625 kit is well (over) engineered and is the one i want on my car.
There is definitely room for discussion and banter about some of the finer points and specifics, but be realistic about your expectations and where this kit slots into the SC line up.. In the end you have to make up your own mind, Is blending/methonol/e85 worth saving 3 grand to you? Its not like they just didn't think of building this kit without needing meth/blend/e85- cuz guess what, that's where your 3k went, is that worth it to you? To some, Yes. Great, sold. If the answer is 'No' i got a link for ya. https://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-...isfscr1001.htm

I read right past this. Good point. Option to upgrade, perfect for enthusiasts in my position (over seas civilian contractor and job location can change at anytime) imagine how bad t would be to spend all 10k up front and cant cover upfront costs to move (make a lot more back this way, similar to active duty do it yourself option, file voucher for reimbursement) now I can get in the game little by little.

So long as it improves over the intake header exhaust # it’s a plus. Excited to see costs
Old 10-12-19, 05:19 PM
Chris808
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, if I wanted to add the intercooler because I do not want to run meth/blend. How much would the kit cost with the intercooler added?
The following users liked this post:
lexicon72 (10-12-19)
Old 10-13-19, 06:35 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris808
So, if I wanted to add the intercooler because I do not want to run meth/blend. How much would the kit cost with the intercooler added?
I would think you would need to buy the original kit since the piping for the intercooler is routed completely different.
Old 10-13-19, 01:18 PM
Chris808
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over 3k just for an intercooler kit? Guess, I'll just stick with bolt-ons or time to change platforms. Don't get me wrong though, I love what RR Racing is doing and I love the IS-F because of how rare it is (reason why I got it in the first place).
Old 10-13-19, 03:29 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Over 3k just for an intercooler kit? Guess, I'll just stick with bolt-ons or time to change platforms. Don't get me wrong though, I love what RR Racing is doing and I love the IS-F because of how rare it is (reason why I got it in the first place).
I was just guessing, I can't speak for RR but I would think that is the route they would suggest.
Old 10-13-19, 07:55 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Since you know how rare the ISF is, you should know that there aren’t a lot of vendors who spend the R&D to build these superchargers. “3k just for an intercooler kit?” I’d like to see you make, research and develop a quality reliable forced induction kit for these “rare” cars with no intercooler for less than $6K.
The following 4 users liked this post by mahcah:
MileHIFcar (10-14-19), Neles (10-23-19), vraa (10-14-19), YeShrug (10-15-19)

Quick Reply: RR Racing new “basic” supercharger kit