IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Denso ebay coils..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-19, 12:39 PM
Sello
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Denso ebay coils..

Ok im sure this has been discussed but i didnt see anything about them recently...long story short i paid 148 for 8 coils and this guy has 99.7 rating...the coils look legit as heck...anynody else get them from ebay recently....to be safe i ordered 4 denso from autozone as well to compare...any chance the ebay ones the real deal??
Old 07-08-19, 12:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Pretty difficult to say. What happened to make you replace the coils? I've never heard of anyone doing that on this forum.
The following users liked this post:
vertex16 (07-08-19)
Old 07-08-19, 01:11 PM
Sello
Pole Position

Having misfiring at full throttle..but its possibly a bad plug cuz i just had my guy change them and figured if we pulling all plugs to check them mine as well do coils..i have 124k miles on 2011
Old 07-08-19, 01:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

The 2UR-GSE is not the 2JZ-GTE coil killer engine - I have one of those too, and they do kill coils for sure. The coils in my IS F are more than 10 years old with over 160k miles and they perform flawlessly. Bet money it's plugs, and if you (or the previous owner) bought your plugs on eBay, you might very well have counterfeit spark plugs at the root of the issue.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-08-19 at 01:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vertex16 (07-08-19)
Old 07-08-19, 01:32 PM
Sello
Pole Position

Bought the plugs from auto zone the denso ones so they def shouldnt be counterfeits.. and for 148 for 8 coils y not change them (well if they legit) of course all 8 cant be bad at once..apparently i like wasting money cuz i decided to buy the ngk plugs and gonna switch out the densos...always used ngk in my m3 cars so figured try them in the IS F
Old 07-08-19, 01:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

I had nothing but bad experiences with Denso plugs in motorcycles. I ran only NGK for years. Toyota seems not to have the issues I had with plugs and motorcycles (I killed a set of Denso plugs in only 600 miles on my Honda 750 way back in the day). So, I've never tried NGK in a Toyota. Denso also offers some interesting plugs mentioned in the RC F forum - they're a racing plug, so the service life won't be the OEM 60k miles, but rumor has it they actually make a power difference (and believe me, I've heard all the silly claims about spark plugs making more power when they actually didn't - see signature...)

Good luck with the swap. It's not the easiest plug change to do, but it's not terrible either.
Old 07-08-19, 01:43 PM
Sello
Pole Position

The twin tip plugs?
Old 07-08-19, 02:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

No, they're a pure race plug.
IKH01-24. IKH01-24.
Super pricey, and totally not worth it for a daily driver. These are the comments about these plugs:

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
Sorry guys for the late follow up but lobuxracer has got you all covered. His information is spot on.

Yes, they are colder. Stock is 20, this are 24 hence the part number IKH01-24. They fall nicely in the middle between a hot plug of 16 and a cold one of 31.

I wouldn't be worried about fouling this colder plugs as IMO RCF engine runs pretty darn hot, also this particular spark plug has Denso's patented spark cleaning pocket technology to burn off any carbon deposits.

Got more time with the car today. Definitely the car is accelerating noticeably harder. The character of the car has changed, the rev climbs a lot quicker between the mid to high rpm. My thoughts are combustion is highly efficient at the high RPM's with this spark plug, producing more power.

The deeper sound of the engine is still there and it's unmistakable.

They are a lot pricier and just as lobuxracer stated, shorter life span. Service interval is 30K as opposed to 60k for OEM.

All I can say is I'm very pleased with how all this turned out.

And the cherry on the cake I expect better MPG.

Below are a couple of links for those interested. You can thank me later as this was weeks and weeks of research since this Spark Plugs have never been discussed on the RCF platform yet it turns out it's quite a favorite among engine tuners.

Denso

http://densoautoparts.com/Portals/De...m-brochure.pdf

http://densoautoparts.com/spark-plug...aspx#undefined

http://densoautoparts.com/iridium-ra...lug-components

TRD

https://www.trdparts.jp/english/parts_plug-racing.html

Where to purchase along with specific part #
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excellent info by Brisk about heat range

https://www.briskusa.com/spark_plug_...at_range_chart
Old 07-09-19, 01:03 PM
Sello
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The 2UR-GSE is not the 2JZ-GTE coil killer engine - I have one of those too, and they do kill coils for sure. The coils in my IS F are more than 10 years old with over 160k miles and they perform flawlessly. Bet money it's plugs, and if you (or the previous owner) bought your plugs on eBay, you might very well have counterfeit spark plugs at the root of the issue.
Coil 3 was bad
Old 07-10-19, 09:30 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Sello
Coil 3 was bad
was it not throwing a code?
Old 07-11-19, 11:26 AM
Sello
Pole Position

Just random misfire code...now im changing everything myself...but its taken 5 hour....trips bavk and forth from home depot and now i have tools under my engine i cant get to oh and btw i only have done 3 plugs and coils so far FML