IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Cast vs forged wheels, cheap vs expensive

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-19, 08:36 AM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Cast vs forged wheels, cheap vs expensive

Out of curiosity, is anyone running rep wheel brands like ESR, Varrstoen, XXR, ROTA, etc. on their IS-F? I get how we love our cars and only want the best but IMO I see overly priced wheels to be a waste sometimes on daily drivers. Same for when people buy expensive wheels and then put cheap rubber on it. Right now I'm debating on getting a set of BBS's, Konigs or some other rep brand that stays close to stock dimensions with the exception that they will be 8.5 and 9.5 in width.
Old 08-04-19, 04:47 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
Out of curiosity, is anyone running rep wheel brands like ESR, Varrstoen, XXR, ROTA, etc. on their IS-F? I get how we love our cars and only want the best but IMO I see overly priced wheels to be a waste sometimes on daily drivers. Same for when people buy expensive wheels and then put cheap rubber on it. Right now I'm debating on getting a set of BBS's, Konigs or some other rep brand that stays close to stock dimensions with the exception that they will be 8.5 and 9.5 in width.
Yes, I've seen it. No shame if you can't afford or have no plan to spend the money for the big brands.
Old 08-04-19, 05:11 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

My buddy runs XXR. His wife has cracked 3 rims on potholes. They are cheap and he doesn’t care. Cheap wheels are much lower end, but if your ok with that then it’s ok. I personally wouldn’t run them. I’d keep the stock BBS wheels over Knock offs. The stock wheels are some of the best built wheels money can buy.
The following users liked this post:
ModInJapan (08-06-19)
Old 08-06-19, 11:02 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts

Personally, i would rather keep the stock wheels over cheaper brands. Think of the safety of you and your passengers. You don't want your wheels to fall apart while driving over pot holes. its not very safe.
My suggestion, get better wheels when you can afford them. Until then, stay with the STOCK forged BBS wheels

Jwconeil (08-06-19)
Old 08-06-19, 11:24 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 346 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by ModInJapan
Personally, i would rather keep the stock wheels over cheaper brands. Think of the safety of you and your passengers. You don't want your wheels to fall apart while driving over pot holes. its not very safe.
My suggestion, get better wheels when you can afford them. Until then, stay with the STOCK forged BBS wheels

Fall apart?! Lmfao 😂 this guy has no idea what he’s talking about don’t listen to him. I can post pics of name brand wheels that look the same or worse plus any wheel that hits a curb hard enough will look like that. If you drive your car normally and want looks you’ll be perfectly fine. Bet with enough speed I can make any OEM ISF wheel look like that against a curb. Stop being a part of the bandwagon that’s only about name brand wheels. Rotas and volks will get you from point A to point B I promise.
Old 08-06-19, 12:08 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Fall apart?! Lmfao 😂 this guy has no idea what he’s talking about don’t listen to him. I can post pics of name brand wheels that look the same or worse plus any wheel that hits a curb hard enough will look like that. If you drive your car normally and want looks you’ll be perfectly fine. Bet with enough speed I can make any OEM ISF wheel look like that against a curb. Stop being a part of the bandwagon that’s only about name brand wheels. Rotas and volks will get you from point A to point B I promise.
haha you mean there is no difference is strength between cast wheels, flow form and forged wheels? if so i guess i'm wrong. Just make sure you drive in a perfect road all the time and not hit anything and you'll be fine with low quality cast wheels. I mean even OEM has to test wheels, load rating, strength test etc that Department of Transportation requires before a car manufacturer can sell a car. But what do i know.....

At the end of the day, if you crash a car hard enough, no wheels will win. But do you want one that will crack(fall apart) after hitting a pothole....
Old 08-06-19, 12:13 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Yeah like i said, my buddy has replaced 3 xxr wheels that his wife cracked. They run OEM wheels in the winter on the same roads and she hasn’t hurt those wheels at all. There is definitely a difference in structural rigidity.

sometimes bandwagons are fads. In this case, the bandwagon exists because it’s just science, so everybody suggests the same thing. I have ran numerous wheels on numerous cars. I live in a pothole filled city. I now only use forged wheels for that reason.
BirgeyT1 (08-06-19)
Old 08-06-19, 01:05 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

haha you mean there is no difference is strength between cast wheels, flow form and forged wheels? if so i guess i'm wrong. Just make sure you drive in a perfect road all the time and not hit anything and you'll be fine with low quality cast wheels. I mean even OEM has to test wheels, load rating, strength test etc that Department of Transportation requires before a car manufacturer can sell a car. But what do i know.....

At the end of the day, if you crash a car hard enough, no wheels will win. But do you want one that will crack(fall apart) after hitting a pothole....
As in there is no difference going from your home to the car meet, grocery store, date etc having either one brand or the other. Yes because going through a school zone and hitting a pothole with rotas at 15mph will turn them to pixie dust lol. Do you have any idea how many law suits all the other brands would have on their hands? I’ve had all the replicas and name brands and NEVER had any problems both on and off the track. Also for the people saying they keep denting wheels try avoiding the pothole I lived in NJ for a while and never dented a single rim on those horrible roads on the east coast. Also remember having low profile tires like a 2xx/30/xx doesn’t help either. Having meater tires can help that as well.

Last edited by ISFpowered; 08-09-19 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-07-19, 09:36 AM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

I was just curious because I've ran exclusively Rotas and ESRs on my previous cars with no issues daily driving. I used to make multiple road trips on I20 from TX to NC and back. Never ran into an issue. Usually the failures people see when it comes to cheaper brands and reps is that those owners did something in particular that they didnt mention. Most just ran into accidents like pot holes so that make sense. I've even seen big name brand wheels fail too or either get bent to the point you have to by a new replacement.

I found it interesting too is that in Japan, XXR is one of their biggest markets over there.
Old 08-07-19, 11:17 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

I was just curious because I've ran exclusively Rotas and ESRs on my previous cars with no issues daily driving. I used to make multiple road trips on I20 from TX to NC and back. Never ran into an issue. Usually the failures people see when it comes to cheaper brands and reps is that those owners did something in particular that they didnt mention. Most just ran into accidents like pot holes so that make sense. I've even seen big name brand wheels fail too or either get bent to the point you have to by a new replacement.

I found it interesting too is that in Japan, XXR is one of their biggest markets over there.
Don't forget that your TC weighs a lot less than a LEXUS IS-F that's why load rating on wheels are very important. Also, yes its possible to not break them at all if you don't hit any bad pot holes or any bad road imperfections.

Japan roads are very nice, they don't let pot holes sit for more than a week if any.

Also, Yes i've seen volk racing bend on a bad hit, but if it was a cast wheel that went through the same hit, it would have cracked in pieces
Old 08-08-19, 03:09 AM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Don't forget that your TC weighs a lot less than a LEXUS IS-F that's why load rating on wheels are very important. Also, yes its possible to not break them at all if you don't hit any bad pot holes or any bad road imperfections.

Japan roads are very nice, they don't let pot holes sit for more than a week if any.

Also, Yes i've seen volk racing bend on a bad hit, but if it was a cast wheel that went through the same hit, it would have cracked in pieces
Oh I'm definitely tracking that. That's another reason why I wanted to ask because I don't know what load rating our stock wheels are and what our car requires. I know my last set of ESR wheels I bought that their load rating was 690kg which is roughly a good 1521lbs. In the meantime I plan on keep my wheels stock for awhile. I appreciate the insight though.

Still learning about this vehicle.
ModInJapan (08-08-19)
Old 08-12-19, 10:47 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE=xdejablu3x;10583645]Oh I'm definitely tracking that. That's another reason why I wanted to ask because I don't know what load rating our stock wheels are and what our car requires. I know my last set of ESR wheels I bought that their load rating was 690kg which is roughly a good 1521lbs. In the meantime I plan on keep my wheels stock for awhile. I appreciate the insight though.

Still learning about this vehicle.[/QUOT

forged wheel still in one piece after hitting the wall at 100mph

Jwconeil (08-13-19)
Old 08-13-19, 01:03 AM
KenISF
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

[QUOTE=blackisF08;10587096]
Oh I'm definitely tracking that. That's another reason why I wanted to ask because I don't know what load rating our stock wheels are and what our car requires. I know my last set of ESR wheels I bought that their load rating was 690kg which is roughly a good 1521lbs. In the meantime I plan on keep my wheels stock for awhile. I appreciate the insight though.

Still learning about this vehicle.[/QUOT

Sad to see. I have the same wheels so good to know they are that tough.
Old 08-13-19, 07:48 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,342 Posts

100MPH surely would have done much more damage than that

Lou
Old 08-14-19, 08:24 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor