IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HPDE Rules

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 11:42 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts
Default HPDE Rules

I am going to sign up for auto interests HPDE events in 2020. Are the classes based on mods or only experience? Also, I have a good price lined up on a Tillett carbon seat, but it is not an FIA model. It is a fixed back street seat compatible with OEM 3 point harnesses. My research has found them to be very safe, but I’m worried I won’t be allowed to enter HPDE. Does anybody know? In what situations does not having an FIA seat hinder racing?
Old 10-04-19, 04:08 PM
smaggs
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I think each race track usually has it's own rules and the clubs that put on events can stack more rules on top of that if they wish. I'm also curious though if someone can confirm.

One of our local tracks has rules for their course posted online (they mainly operate as a drag strip but also have their road course portion), but each club hosting an event does their own tech inspection of the vehicles prior to going onto the course.
Old 10-04-19, 05:14 PM
Jwconeil

Yeah it can be a headache learning them all. The seats I’m looking at are full carbon and actually kept a roof from caving in, in a roll, in a GTR. The roof had dents from the seats holding it up. So safety is not a concern. They just are not FIA approved because of their low sided design, which facilitates the OEM belt. They are easier to get in as well. I don’t want super deep buckets or 5 point harnesses since most of my driving is on the street. So FIA buckets are overkill.
Old 10-04-19, 05:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by smaggs
I think each race track usually has it's own rules and the clubs that put on events can stack more rules on top of that if they wish. I'm also curious though if someone can confirm.

One of our local tracks has rules for their course posted online (they mainly operate as a drag strip but also have their road course portion), but each club hosting an event does their own tech inspection of the vehicles prior to going onto the course.
Dead on the money. Every club has their own tech, so there are variations of what is and is not allowed. HPDE are generally not nearly as strict as SCCA or other wheel to wheel racing though. They just want to be sure you're not going to leak fluids all over the track and the car is in decent condition to be driven hard.

The mods to your car have nothing to do with classification. You'll start in a beginner's group, and your instructor will evaluate how you handle the car, the track, driving with others, and your attitude. If your instructor is confident you will be safe with everyone in the next group up, you'll get promoted until you get in the "instructor" group which is as close to wheel to wheel racing as it gets in the HPDE world. As much as you like to think you know how to drive, I guarantee you'll be surprised at how slow you really are when you first get on the track. I've only known one guy who went from street to track and was instantly fast, and that was years ago on motorcycles.
The following users liked this post:
James7 (10-05-19)
Old 10-04-19, 07:23 PM
Jwconeil

I fully intend to baby the car and myself. It is a huge investment, and I would never build it twice. I look forward to taking my time and learning.

Thanks for the input. I’m going to roll the dice on the non FIA seats.
Old 10-05-19, 06:34 AM
Dre01SS
Rookie

Received 143 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I don’t want super deep buckets or 5 point harnesses since most of my driving is on the street. So FIA buckets are overkill.
You should be able to run a harness while keeping your OEM belt fully functional. As you progress in DE, a harness does wonders keeping you in place, but you shouldn't wear it unless you have a neck protection device, preferably a HANS.
Old 10-05-19, 08:09 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 170 Likes on 103 Posts

About damn time you joined the cool kids lol. Jk.
Message me with any questions you have. As others said, each group has their own rules. Autointerests is a great group and most of their rules are on their website. You should be fine.
Just as others said, your class is based on your experience. Personally I would skip the their acclimation program and just do novice. Not a lot of difference but acclimation is pretty limiting.
They also do black Friday sales on their gift cards which are at a great discount.
Keep me posted on your 2020 plans.
Old 10-06-19, 08:11 AM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Dead on the money. Every club has their own tech, so there are variations of what is and is not allowed. HPDE are generally not nearly as strict as SCCA or other wheel to wheel racing though. They just want to be sure you're not going to leak fluids all over the track and the car is in decent condition to be driven hard.

The mods to your car have nothing to do with classification. You'll start in a beginner's group, and your instructor will evaluate how you handle the car, the track, driving with others, and your attitude. If your instructor is confident you will be safe with everyone in the next group up, you'll get promoted until you get in the "instructor" group which is as close to wheel to wheel racing as it gets in the HPDE world. As much as you like to think you know how to drive, I guarantee you'll be surprised at how slow you really are when you first get on the track. I've only known one guy who went from street to track and was instantly fast, and that was years ago on motorcycles.
Yeah, what Lance said. I remember timing different run groups back at Summit Point around 2005. The slower run groups were running 2:00-2:10 laps while the faster run groups were running ~1:30 laps. 30-40s difference between run groups is big! I worked my way from the beginner group to the instructor group in my Camaro with the BMW club. My advice, keep the car well prepped, look it over between sessions, and don't let egos get in the way. Be aware of all your surroundings on the track (on the street too) all the time.
Old 10-07-19, 12:37 PM
illwillem
Pit Crew

Received 451 Likes on 132 Posts

Different regions tend to have different rules, I have tracked on both the west coast and east coast and like Lobux was saying I have found the east coast tends to have a more classic approach with driver/instructor sign offs etc. Most Westcost organizations with the exception of the older ones (NASA and SCCA and POC) tend to have a more relaxed program with self tech, self evaluation where there is no required ride along and sign offs. (They have instruction available but not required.) In these cases, unless you're known by the staff the first few times you drive with them you need to run beginner and/or low-inter where there are specific programs like mandatory lead/follow session and post session driver downloads meetings.

I have instructed at these for years and you see a wide range of people from the humble guy that's just there to learn and have fun to the kid who thinks he should be in the Red group because he "can get a fast time on this track in Gran Turismo".. -No kidding i had someone actually say that to me. Just go in and keep your eyes and ears open and don't even think about times. The first few days try and see if you can get a ridalong with an instructor or a veteran- That is normally the biggest eye opener with new students, they just cannot believe the capability of a semi stock car with a good driver and it sorta sets the tone of "wow, i got a few things to learn". Don't over mod anything with aero etc, you can have a better experience in a car with lower limits to begin with.

As far as FIA certs, a lot of things are made to FIA /SFI spec and are not labeled, you actually have to pay 30 dollars more for the FIA sticker on a HANS device that was built to the exact same spec as the guy that didn't get the sticker. For these reasons, unless your wheel to wheel racing, HPDE organisations generally only look at date stamps on helmets and harnesses over sanctioning body blessings. Some don't even do that, if anything its a quick glance that your battery is tied down properly and that your chin strap can be buckled.

Last edited by illwillem; 10-07-19 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-07-19, 02:53 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Whatever you do, you just don't want to be this guy....😣

V.
Old 10-07-19, 03:16 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Or this guy....

The following users liked this post: