IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Engine issue? Low miles yet boggy/jerky/engine sound etc?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 08:53 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

See my post in the other thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10653415
Old 11-07-19, 08:28 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

What oil are are you using and what viscosity ?
Old 11-07-19, 08:31 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by lawrence1
Take the "FBO" aftermarket parts off and return the car to stock. Hopefully you have the oem parts. In the future, buy a car that hasn't been modified. These cars are quite reliable when they aren't modified with junk parts and "retuned" by amateur outfits. And yes, IMO anything outside of an OEM is an amateur, with very few exceptions.
So if the OEM header cracks, it should be replaced with another OEM header? You see my point here.
Old 11-07-19, 08:32 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by jdmek998
This is why I returned my F to almost stock form. Besides AOS and intake elbow. Not one place around me wanted to touch my car with all FBO. But My F is my weekend car.
Are you still having issues?
Did you have problems? what were the mods?

I was thinking of just doing headers with 2 high flow cats, but these types of threads make me go back to my original promise not to modify this car.
Old 11-07-19, 08:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
What oil are are you using and what viscosity ?
5 gallon bucket on Amazon for $159 with free shipping. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-07-19, 10:06 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
I was thinking of just doing headers with 2 high flow cats, but these types of threads make me go back to my original promise not to modify this car.
I feel the same
Old 11-08-19, 04:11 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

I am using 5w30 Mobil1 full synthetic. Was my first oil change at 52k, seller said he used 5w30 as well. Checking last night with mechanic we used an automotive stethoscope to narrow down the noise, seems to be coming from the passenger side cam motor so will order that. A few people who are active on the fb pages and familiar with the motor in and out advised that is is most likely one or the other cam motor as several people had to replace them even with stock F’s. Here is one of the related threads though they had issues with drivers side one. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10653415

as far as not buying headers for this car, can’t understand how that could be related to this. There’s probably 30 people I know personally with PPE or Sikky headers for years, not to mention the many on this forum who haven’t had issues with theirs. The main issues I’ve seen with that are leaky gaskets or a poor install with Sikky headers and of course the smell without cats.

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 11-08-19 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-08-19, 08:27 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Doesn't sound like the headers at this point.
Old 11-08-19, 11:15 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
I am using 5w30 Mobil1 full synthetic. Was my first oil change at 52k, seller said he used 5w30 as well. Checking last night with mechanic we used an automotive stethoscope to narrow down the noise, seems to be coming from the passenger side cam motor so will order that. A few people who are active on the fb pages and familiar with the motor in and out advised that is is most likely one or the other cam motor as several people had to replace them even with stock F’s. Here is one of the related threads though they had issues with drivers side one. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10653415

as far as not buying headers for this car, can’t understand how that could be related to this. There’s probably 30 people I know personally with PPE or Sikky headers for years, not to mention the many on this forum who haven’t had issues with theirs. The main issues I’ve seen with that are leaky gaskets or a poor install with Sikky headers and of course the smell without cats.
I ran Mobil 1 5w-30 in mine up until the last oil change. I am not convinced it is the best oil for these engines after what I have seen with the wife's GS F and now with the cam chain tensioner noise going away using Renewable Lubricants 5w-30 PCMO SHP. A very good friend has a GS 430 and had nothing but problems until he swapped Mobil 1 for standard Toyota 5w-30. It really doesn't make any sense, but it's what I have experienced and heard with Lexus engines running Mobil 1.
Old 11-21-19, 06:00 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Well, I've since replaced the passenger side cam motor gear with a new OEM one and noise is gone. As mentioned before, I had no CEL's and I did feel like the old unit was much more loose when I spun it. Funny enough when I first made a FB post about it, 2 people said check cam motor timing gear, either side and I was hoping it wasn't it but ultimately it way. Hopefully this will help others if they experience a similar issue. Thanks to all who helped diagnose it!

Sadly this is not the end of my issues, as this all began when I first experienced very bad bogging and KCLV down to 5. The past few weeks after replacing the MAF sensor, KCLV has been 21-27 with no hiccups. Last week I replaced the cam motor gear and now no noise. Felt it was fine so a few days ago I took it on some spirited runs. It ran amazing, better than some local similar modded F's.

But the next day after at least 50-60 miles, I started feeling the very same bogging, and KCLV reading as low as 5-6. KFV drops from -3 to as low as -7, goes back up driving around town. Threw the stock airbox and stock tune back on, even changed the oil to 5W-30 synthetic blend that Toyota dealer has, but no improvement. Drove it to the dealer this morning and of course KCLV goes back up to 15 and stays there and car drives more normal. In some way I am sure this is all connected. Lead mechanic said according to all my info his best guess is valve guides as it's seen on some LS460 or something else in the motor, maybe even older headers that is making a pinging noise and making the computer think it's running worse and thus shooting KCLV way down. The issue seems to come most from being on highway with mild throttle, in 7th-8th gear about 1800-2200 rpm, that KFV just tends to take a dive and brings KCLV way down with it.. Will see what they say..

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 11-21-19 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-22-19, 03:13 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Well, I've since replaced the passenger side cam motor gear with a new OEM one and noise is gone. As mentioned before, I had no CEL's and I did feel like the old unit was much more loose when I spun it. Funny enough when I first made a FB post about it, 2 people said check cam motor timing gear, either side and I was hoping it wasn't it but ultimately it way. Hopefully this will help others if they experience a similar issue. Thanks to all who helped diagnose it!

Sadly this is not the end of my issues, as this all began when I first experienced very bad bogging and KCLV down to 5. The past few weeks after replacing the MAF sensor, KCLV has been 21-27 with no hiccups. Last week I replaced the cam motor gear and now no noise. Felt it was fine so a few days ago I took it on some spirited runs. It ran amazing, better than some local similar modded F's.

But the next day after at least 50-60 miles, I started feeling the very same bogging, and KCLV reading as low as 5-6. KFV drops from -3 to as low as -7, goes back up driving around town. Threw the stock airbox and stock tune back on, even changed the oil to 5W-30 synthetic blend that Toyota dealer has, but no improvement. Drove it to the dealer this morning and of course KCLV goes back up to 15 and stays there and car drives more normal. In some way I am sure this is all connected. Lead mechanic said according to all my info his best guess is valve guides as it's seen on some LS460 or something else in the motor, maybe even older headers that is making a pinging noise and making the computer think it's running worse and thus shooting KCLV way down. The issue seems to come most from being on highway with mild throttle, in 7th-8th gear about 1800-2200 rpm, that KFV just tends to take a dive and brings KCLV way down with it.. Will see what they say..
Local F here had to have new heads put on for a similar issue because the valve guides were bad. The car kept picking up knock and was bogging badly.
Old 11-22-19, 05:24 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Local F here had to have new heads put on for a similar issue because the valve guides were bad. The car kept picking up knock and was bogging badly.
Well that’s a new issue I have never heard of. I thought these engines were good for 200-350k without major repair. Obviously this is atypical, but still concerning.
Old 11-22-19, 06:39 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joker4096
I PM'd you regarding this, do you know if the car was modded or under warranty and if they built them or just replaced with OEM? Was it a consistent issue or comes and goes? Looking back through my post history, the car's been driving well for over a month before the bogging/KCLV issue randomly popped up again. The other issue I had was ticking noise, which has been fixed by the cam motor gear several told me to replace.
Old 11-22-19, 08:21 AM
minator
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

this symptom and how it occurs (after engine is warmed up, and seeing the kclv pull back timing at 2000 rpm low throttle) exactly match what I’m experiencing.
The following users liked this post:
LexusfanVA (11-22-19)
Old 11-22-19, 08:30 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Originally Posted by minator
I’m having a similar issue but with no unusual noises. Same mods as well. The kclv drop occurs during very light throttle application at 1500-2500 rpm - easiest to see on the highway going down hills. Only seems to happen once fully warmed up 1hr+ of runtime.
Fyi I changed my MAF but symptoms remain.
I wonder if the knock sensors are picking up something there that it thinks is knock... exhaust leak?
Same mods? Tuned intake/catless headers/catback/tune? It comes and goes? What is your year and miles? Lexus mechanic did mention since the headers are thinner and (mine) are older, perhaps they are making a noise or leaking and causing the engine to think it is knock. But also said some LS460 experience same issues and it's valve guides. Have not gotten an ultimate diagnosis from them though, this conversation/guessing game was when I dropped the car off.

Quick Reply: Engine issue? Low miles yet boggy/jerky/engine sound etc?