IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Suspension opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-19, 02:18 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Lots of advice here, but no one has suggested just replacing your shocks. Depending on the mileage of your 2008, they may be worn out or blown. Get a set of Bilstein B6 shocks and you may even like the springs you already have in the car!
Old 10-29-19, 10:59 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Lots of advice here, but no one has suggested just replacing your shocks. Depending on the mileage of your 2008, they may be worn out or blown. Get a set of Bilstein B6 shocks and you may even like the springs you already have in the car!
Bilsteins are on backordered till 2020 from what I understand.
The following users liked this post:
supersonic (11-09-19)
Old 10-29-19, 12:01 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmek998
Bilsteins are on backordered till 2020 from what I understand.
I also don’t see any definitive data that they work well with various springs. Are they any smoother than stock, and which spring rates are they compatible with? I’m not knocking that route, it would just be a shame to not see any benefit after the swap. I like the swift ride height. If they are compatible with the Bilstiens, it would be a nice cheap alternative.
Old 10-30-19, 09:10 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Like everyone else said, the early model ISF just have harsh ride and coilovers can fix that. It really comes down to preference what you want to spend because everyone is going to suggest what they like. My buddy had KW V3 on his old ISF and loved them, I wasn't spending that much so I went with KW x Greddy coils and couldn't be happier
Old 11-05-19, 03:47 PM
supersonic
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So I went 12 clicks back and front. Did 4 sweeps for compression on the back. Did not change the front yet but i assume theyre at 3 sweeps like the rears were. I am not that impressed. Honestly really frustrated at this point. How do people say its buttery and smooth and all that when I have adjusted these to be comfortable and every damn bump I go over hurts my soul? Out here in Kansas and Missouri roads are crap, moreso in Missouri. But even straight flat roads that have small dips in the road leave a jarring feeling in the car. Are the struts bad? Could they be? Im not sure when they were installed. I do have LCA bushings from RRRacing. It is cold out here now with temps between 30s-50s and I'm on RCF standard wheels with 30 sidewall up front and i think 40 in the back. Summer tires are still on and thinking of switching to Continental DWS. Would that help at all? What am I doing wrong here? I have owned a 2010 before and if I remember correctly they rode less harsh than these damn coilovers. Front is not lowered, but rear are by half an inch or so. I plan on raising to stock height.
Old 11-07-19, 08:23 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by supersonic
So I went 12 clicks back and front. Did 4 sweeps for compression on the back. Did not change the front yet but i assume theyre at 3 sweeps like the rears were. I am not that impressed. Honestly really frustrated at this point. How do people say its buttery and smooth and all that when I have adjusted these to be comfortable and every damn bump I go over hurts my soul? Out here in Kansas and Missouri roads are crap, moreso in Missouri. But even straight flat roads that have small dips in the road leave a jarring feeling in the car. Are the struts bad? Could they be? Im not sure when they were installed. I do have LCA bushings from RRRacing. It is cold out here now with temps between 30s-50s and I'm on RCF standard wheels with 30 sidewall up front and i think 40 in the back. Summer tires are still on and thinking of switching to Continental DWS. Would that help at all? What am I doing wrong here? I have owned a 2010 before and if I remember correctly they rode less harsh than these damn coilovers. Front is not lowered, but rear are by half an inch or so. I plan on raising to stock height.
What shocks do you have?
Originally Posted by Far North Racing
Let me make this as clear as I possibly can: THE ADJUSTERS ON YOUR SHOCKS ALMOST CERTAINLY DO NOT DO WHAT YOU THINK THEY DO. Unless you have something high-end, like a Penske, and you've taken the time to clock the adjuster window on the shock dyno, the ***** on your shocks cannot be trusted to work. Most shocks of the same model DO NOT match each other on the same adjuster setting, and each click DOES NOT make the same change in force. Most shocks make very large changes per click near the "full hard" setting and make very little to no change near the "full soft" setting.
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html - scroll down to "On Adjustable Shocks" for more information.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-07-19 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-07-19, 10:36 AM
supersonic
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What shocks do you have?

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html - scroll down to "On Adjustable Shocks" for more information.
KW V3.

Also very interesting quote. If that is the case then I am trying to understand how those who have the KW V3s installed are getting some sort of amazing response to suspension feel when it comes to comfort levels. I had a 2010 before. I recall how the suspension was on stock shocks but when it comes to things such as dips, joints, small cracks the car just has a kind of jarring effect. I didnt feel that in the 2010. Just trying to understand expectations. It seems maybe these are highly overrated or mine are shot. If I were to replace I wonder how 2014s feel compared ot these.
Old 11-07-19, 11:17 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by supersonic
KW V3.

Also very interesting quote. If that is the case then I am trying to understand how those who have the KW V3s installed are getting some sort of amazing response to suspension feel when it comes to comfort levels. I had a 2010 before. I recall how the suspension was on stock shocks but when it comes to things such as dips, joints, small cracks the car just has a kind of jarring effect. I didnt feel that in the 2010. Just trying to understand expectations. It seems maybe these are highly overrated or mine are shot. If I were to replace I wonder how 2014s feel compared ot these.
My 13 with stock suspension and 40 series tires on 18s is very smooth for a performance car. That’s the only reason I haven’t lowered it.
Old 11-08-19, 08:39 AM
MoarLow
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

BC's are not a bad option. $1000, it won't break the bank!

I had KW V3's on my 2015 M3, they were good, but people hype those things to godly proportions.
Old 11-08-19, 10:02 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

For anyone interested in BC or KW contact us for pricing!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 11-08-19, 03:15 PM
supersonic
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoarLow
BC's are not a bad option. $1000, it won't break the bank!

I had KW V3's on my 2015 M3, they were good, but people hype those things to godly proportions.
BCs I heard dont ride as "soft" as KWs. My main issue is over non-highway speeds. They ride hard over small bumps in the road and such. I did lower my tire pressure from 36 to 34 and have felt a small/minor improvement. Maybe ill go down to 31 or 32. Also switching from my MPS4S tires to Continental DWS06s may make a difference. Bilstein shocks sound intriguing but I dont have stock springs to use.
Old 11-08-19, 04:18 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe because your sidewall is 30 in the front... That's like a inch less than the OEM size.
The following 2 users liked this post by F_Throttle:
Jwconeil (11-09-19), supersonic (11-09-19)
Old 11-09-19, 07:51 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by F_Throttle
Maybe because your sidewall is 30 in the front... That's like a inch less than the OEM size.

This. I went from a 30 to a 40 series. Big difference. I run 265/40/18, and they are pretty comfy. I had 275/30/19 on all four, and they were notably rougher.
Old 11-09-19, 09:58 AM
supersonic
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
This. I went from a 30 to a 40 series. Big difference. I run 265/40/18, and they are pretty comfy. I had 275/30/19 on all four, and they were notably rougher.
Ya I think you guys are on to something strong here. I think that's what I'm gonna do. I have the RCF wheels with stock ride height up front and will try to raise the back to normal height so I can put 40 and 35, respectively. I've been considering doing 285 on the back and 245 up front. Think that will fit? Switching to continental DWS06.
Old 11-09-19, 10:59 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

Inch less isn’t specific. Stock is 225/40 and I run 255/35 in front but it’s same sidewall size..In the spring I’m doing 285/30 in front which will still be 3.4” sidewall..I couldn’t find where OP mentioned his tire sizes?

Quick Reply: Suspension opinions