IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Suspension opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-19, 06:26 PM
TurboGti
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BS ISF
I just ordered B6 Bilsteins. Had to order 3 from one shop and the front right from another. All together with shipping $710.00. My car is in the body shop so I will give a review later. Really hope that the harshness goes away with the dampening.
I did mine b6 on stock springs...
I'm eager to hear your feedback as me personally, didn't get a big improvement in ride.
08 Isf
Currently looking for a solution and ohlins may be it.
Roads here are bumpy
Old 01-03-20, 02:11 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Figs version of the Ohlins kit and the one that Ohlins sells direct?
Old 01-04-20, 04:24 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

A lot of things come into play as far as how comfortable an isf feels. 2011-2012 model years are the softest. 2013 went back to being a bit stiffer. As discussed, tires play a big role as well. Not only tire side wall but brand. Some brands have much stiffer side walls than others.

I also believe that something in the alignment of the isf plays a role in how comfortable it feels. After I installed my ohlins my car was very comfortable. When I installed my second set of headers, I went for an alignment as well and my car became super stiff and jarring. I had to get a header adjustment because they were hitting the subframe. This time I didn't get an alignment and my car was back to being comfortable.

Originally Posted by F_Throttle
Does anyone know what the difference is between the Figs version of the Ohlins kit and the one that Ohlins sells direct?
Can you post a link of the ones that ohlins sells direct? The ones that figs sells are valved specifically for the isf. I couldn't find anything direct from ohlins website for the isf.

Last edited by jat0223; 01-04-20 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-05-20, 03:22 PM
CSpecISF
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is purely my opinion based off of what I've experienced first-hand, but anything I've ever personally installed a set of KWs on has always been very nice to drive, both on and off the track, whether a customer car (at work), or my own. I own 4 other cars with KWs on them (1 with V1s, 2 with V3s and 1 with Clubsports), most of which did not start off on KWs, some of which have previously used the other mentioned brands. With the exception of the Clubsports, all of the KWs feel pretty close to factory in terms of ride quality (in some cases, even better), and are absolutely something you can drive around with on a daily basis while also offering excellent performance out on the road course.

I find that setup means a lot when it comes to coilovers, regardless of how much the kit costs. A set of what one would call "entry-level" coilovers that have been setup properly will offer a much nicer ride quality and better performance over a kit that costed much more, but was setup poorly. That being said, none of the aforementioned brands are entry-level, and are all fantastic. The quality is definitely there with all 3 brands, the only way you can really go wrong is on the setup end of things. Many things play into the ride quality that you get out of any coilover setup (spring type, spring rate, ride height & shock travel, spring preload-if applicable, valving/dampening and rebound adjustments-again, if applicable).

If you're looking for every last millisecond on the road course, assuming the "driver-mod" isn't an issue, I'd say the Ohlins track coils might be your best bet, but for a car that sees mixed road and track use or if you compete in amateur racing (time attack, etc), the KW V3s are no slouch for what they cost.

My F currently sits on a set of BC BRs with standard option springs which were installed by the vehicle's previous owner. After adjusting them properly (proper preload, height, etc), the ride really isn't bad for what the kit is worth and I'm sure you could easily get by with these on the street and occasional track day, although I do feel like they lack refinement. All things considered, I'll still be replacing the BCs with a set of KWs in the very near future as I know there's more to be had suspension-wise.

Whichever kit you decide to go with, just remember that the foremost important part is that the coilovers are setup properly by someone competent, with the car at a reasonable ride height. The setup WILL make or break any kit you buy.
Old 01-05-20, 08:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by CSpecISF
...Whichever kit you decide to go with, just remember that the foremost important part is that the coilovers are setup properly by someone competent, with the car at a reasonable ride height. The setup WILL make or break any kit you buy.
This is the only thing I agree with in your post. The shocks could be Monroe fixed damping and they'll outperform anyone's super trick multi-adjustable high dollar shock if they're properly valved for the springs and suspension geometry on the car.

The other thing we're missing in this thread is, subjective ride quality assessments are as individual as the person driving the car. Street ride quality can be satisfactory across a broad range of solutions. If you want to win races, all that changes very quickly and you have to measure actual performance with a timed course and as consistent a driver as you can find. It's a completely different world and none of the suggestions for suspension I've seen in this thread would be adequate. So you have to decide what you ultimately want before you can even consider brands. If you are NOT racing, you can run just about anything and it might be OK for your application. If you ARE racing, then there are few choices - very few.
Old 01-18-20, 02:03 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Guess it's that time

I lent my ISF to a friend due to a temporary hardship of him not having a car and me having my Prius now as DD. Welp...

Guess it's time for some suspension. Seeing as it's only a weekend car now debating on what to get. Figured bilsteins and some springs just to make the ride a bit less harsh seeing as mine is an 09.

Thoughts and Ideas?...this car isnt getting track time anytime soon unfortunately. Also going to get new rubber all around in bigger size than what it came with, figure it might help as well with the ride comfort.

Something went wrong here...
Old 01-18-20, 08:05 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh0pp3r
I lent my ISF to a friend due to a temporary hardship of him not having a car and me having my Prius now as DD. Welp...

Guess it's time for some suspension. Seeing as it's only a weekend car now debating on what to get. Figured bilsteins and some springs just to make the ride a bit less harsh seeing as mine is an 09.

Thoughts and Ideas?...this car isnt getting track time anytime soon unfortunately. Also going to get new rubber all around in bigger size than what it came with, figure it might help as well with the ride comfort.

Upgraded LCA bushings (aka USRS) will help with inner tire wear.
Old 01-18-20, 10:54 PM
autoz4me
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I’d explore the 2014 Dynamic Sport Tune Suspension.Thats the last of the model made pretty sure that’ll have something that your after without to much of the compromise of trying a boat load of settings you’ll have to find using after market coil over and spring setup.

Or as an option find out the above settings ie spring and compression rates of thee above and get a shock valved and spring to suit thee above numbers.

Last edited by autoz4me; 01-18-20 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-19-20, 01:41 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Wh0pp3r

More toe in or improved LCA rear bushings.
Old 01-20-20, 11:29 AM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jguy46514
I put Swift springs on the front only of my 2008 two months ago, quickly got tired of how rough the ride was on top of the already rough 2008 suspension and removed them. I upgraded to KWs and they are night and day. Still stiff, anything for this car will be, it'll never be like a Camry or whatever, but the bump absorption is way, WAY better.

Here's the staggered, front lowering springs only / stock rear look that you asked about though.

That car sits PERFECT!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-20, 02:02 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
A lot of things come into play as far as how comfortable an isf feels. 2011-2012 model years are the softest. 2013 went back to being a bit stiffer. As discussed, tires play a big role as well. Not only tire side wall but brand. Some brands have much stiffer side walls than others.

I also believe that something in the alignment of the isf plays a role in how comfortable it feels. After I installed my ohlins my car was very comfortable. When I installed my second set of headers, I went for an alignment as well and my car became super stiff and jarring. I had to get a header adjustment because they were hitting the subframe. This time I didn't get an alignment and my car was back to being comfortable.

Can you post a link of the ones that ohlins sells direct? The ones that figs sells are valved specifically for the isf. I couldn't find anything direct from ohlins website for the isf.
Its this one: https://www.ohlins.com/product/road-...05-2013-use20/

I'm guessing it also works with the other ISxxx, but not sure what makes the Figs one so much more in cost.
Old 01-21-20, 05:26 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by F_Throttle
Its this one: https://www.ohlins.com/product/road-...05-2013-use20/

I'm guessing it also works with the other ISxxx, but not sure what makes the Figs one so much more in cost.
The ones for the isf should be spec differently from the is 250/350 because of the weight difference. Also when you actually try to buy the model (LES MI00) that you posted, it shows that they're for is 250/350 only. The ones that figs sell are specifically valved for the isf and also come with helper springs.
Old 01-21-20, 06:20 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
The ones for the isf should be spec differently from the is 250/350 because of the weight difference. Also when you actually try to buy the model (LES MI00) that you posted, it shows that they're for is 250/350 only. The ones that figs sell are specifically valved for the isf and also come with helper springs.
+1 for the above. In addition I believe the main springs are also Swift ones instead of normal Ohlins ones. Not sure of the technical differences but I know they really like Swift springs.
Old 01-22-20, 09:59 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
More toe in or improved LCA rear bushings.
I was thinking the same, but i just had the oil serviced maybe 2500 miles ago prior to this and i didnt see any odd wear on the tires. figured maybe the bushing filed while my friend was driving it and he just didnt notice the driving difference or noise.

he did finally tell me that he did notice front end vibration at 60+ while on throttle that he didnt "think anything about it"... with that being said, im just gonna bite the bullet and do the shocks all around and LCA rear bushings. gonna be fun.
Old 01-22-20, 12:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

The OEM bushings like a little toe-in if you want to manage tire wear. Once you put a stiffer rear LCA bushing in the front you can get away with a little toe-out and the car will turn in better. It won't trail brake as well though. I'll take consistent over squishy any day.

Springs and shocks won't hurt anything, but if the dampers are not leaking and the springs aren't sagging unevenly, they're not the root cause of this wear issue. You'd see cupping if there were a problem there.

Quick refresher in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...alignment.html

Quick Reply: Suspension opinions