IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HELP! Need to pass SOCAL emissions, can't find stock intake box, hose etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-19, 01:06 PM
Tiggaknock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Need to pass SOCAL emissions, can't find stock intake box, hose etc.

I have a 2009 ISF and I need to pass emissions. I have an aftermarket cold air intake and it is not CARB certified. As far as I can tell they don't make CARB intakes for the ISF, I hope I'm wrong. Anyway, if anyone has as stock one for sale or that I can borrow for a couple days in the San Diego area, please let me know!

Old 11-06-19, 03:00 PM
Hassled1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I’m in NorCal with the same dilemma. The cheapest I found was $620 or so shipped to the house. Been looking for a stock air box for a minute with no luck. Had a couple of leads but no luck. Wish you good luck man.

Old 11-06-19, 04:07 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 347 Likes on 219 Posts

I’m near Palm Springs and I passed with the RR racing tuned intake so idk why your having issues.
The following users liked this post:
Hassled1 (11-06-19)
Old 11-06-19, 08:45 PM
predacon47
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

If you guys were here in Vegas, I’d let you barrow mine. I saved it for situations like that or in the event that I move back to Cali.
Old 11-06-19, 09:32 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
I’m near Palm Springs and I passed with the RR racing tuned intake so idk why your having issues.
Because you lucked out and found a friendly station. Inspection Stations are supposed to do a visual check, based on pictures they have of various vehicles. Doesn't matter whether you pas the sniffer. If you fail visual, you FAIL

Lou
Old 11-07-19, 06:03 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 347 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Because you lucked out and found a friendly station. Inspection Stations are supposed to do a visual check, based on pictures they have of various vehicles. Doesn't matter whether you pas the sniffer. If you fail visual, you FAIL

Lou
I know they have to do a visual but the guy I go to doesn’t care about visual. Doesnt even pop my hood. All he cared about was then check engine light for when he hooks up the scanner.
Old 11-07-19, 08:58 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,990 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Different areas of California have different requirements. When I lived in Sacramento, we had super strict smog enforcement. The Bay Area did not. I wanted to register my Supra in Jackson, CA just because Amador County had a one time smog and you're done. No recurring requirement to pass any smog checks. But that was years ago. Who knows now, and I don't care anymore.
Old 11-07-19, 09:33 AM
davidcausa
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

have you at least tried to pass it somewhere near by yet?
i know quite a few people have passed with intake. It's worth a shot before blowing the cash.
Old 11-22-19, 04:38 PM
Tiggaknock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses! I actually took it in just to see what would happen. I was told the intake was missing the "CO" number and a new discovery....I'm missing my catalytic converters. So looks like I'm more screwed than I thought. Not looking to get into the headache of chopping up the exhaust and go back to stock intake so I'll prob be selling the car before the new year, just not worth the hassle. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 11-23-19, 12:30 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

go to different smog check places, after market intake and full exhaust, you should pass. If not u come to OC, i'll show u a place that most of the members go and passed
The following users liked this post:
MLRSTJ (11-23-19)
Old 11-23-19, 05:26 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
go to different smog check places, after market intake and full exhaust, you should pass. If not u come to OC, i'll show u a place that most of the members go and passed
From what I remember, and it's dated as I left Cali a while ago as well, if he's failed at a normal smog station if he's referred to a test only place then there isn't a way around it easily. He'll need to return the items back to stock in order to try to pass.
Old 11-23-19, 06:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
Don't think so, without cats the car will not pass the sniffer.

Lou
Old 11-23-19, 11:33 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Members that have passed will tell u
Old 11-26-19, 09:13 PM
chelms166
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

OP- I have a stock airbox up here in Wa. It's missing one of the clips on the top to hold the covers together, but it came that way with the car. i have everything you would need to install it and even have a HPS silicone intake pipe if you want it. Pm me if you're interested.
Old 12-04-19, 11:42 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Don't think so, without cats the car will not pass the sniffer.

Lou
there is no sniffer anymore. Its just OB2 reader. if it shows up green its good to go. Pass socal smog with 0 cats

Quick Reply: HELP! Need to pass SOCAL emissions, can't find stock intake box, hose etc.