IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sector 7 Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20 | 08:33 AM
Jwconeil

Make sure to watch your lambdas and KFV. If your getting any knock feedback or running too lean, then a good KCLV is a moot point. I’m not suggesting that you will, but timing can be advanced in a way that is detrimental to a car in the heat.
Old 09-01-20 | 02:49 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Well guys I wanted to update this thread and maybe FilwithanF will chime in...................We met up and did a few runs last week and needless to say the Sector 7 tune is still in Beta because the results were not as stellar as I was thinking and the other owner would likely agree? Anyhow hopefully the tune gets sorted out and we can do some re-runs after some tweaks
The following users liked this post:
Positron (09-02-20)
Old 09-01-20 | 02:53 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Make sure to watch your lambdas and KFV. If your getting any knock feedback or running too lean, then a good KCLV is a moot point. I’m not suggesting that you will, but timing can be advanced in a way that is detrimental to a car in the heat.
Speaking of Lambda values what should the value be at WOT if your running a 35% blend of ethanol? .80-95ish....1.0 is equivalent to 14.7 AFR with 91 octane gasoline only right?

Last edited by MileHIFcar; 09-01-20 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-04-20 | 03:23 PM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Well guys I wanted to update this thread and maybe FilwithanF will chime in...................We met up and did a few runs last week and needless to say the Sector 7 tune is still in Beta because the results were not as stellar as I was thinking and the other owner would likely agree? Anyhow hopefully the tune gets sorted out and we can do some re-runs after some tweaks
I was definitely expecting the results to be closer, but I've been in touch with Steve (Sector7 tuning) and he has been very helpful. I sent him some datalogs today so we will see; I'm thinking the car needs more fuel. I think it's been running lean at this altitude ever since I had it; the ECU probably never fully compensated for the headers and exhaust being added. Either way, looking forward to an updated tune and a re-match with MilHiFcar !
MileHIFcar (09-04-20)
Old 09-04-20 | 09:33 PM
Jwconeil

I don’t want to give advice on what fuel ratios should be, because I’m not an expert. I will say, on the stock tune, my 13 runs richer than when it was tuned, and it likes it much more. I’m running a lot of advanced timing now, whereas before my car struggled to keep good timing when it was tuned. I am at about 3000 ft DA on average, despite the low altitude here.

Both tuned and untuned, I see lambdas from .8 - 1.2. The script is flipped though. I see richer values at high RPM with the oem tune, versus leaner values with a tune. I see lean values at idle now, and I saw richer values when at idle when mine was tuned. My car didn’t run great timing at high RPM when tuned, and it does now, so my car did not like the lean mixture.

I have watched values a lot and determined that my 13s best tuning option is oem. It is also noticeably faster, but I haven’t made it to the track yet for objective numbers.

I personally can’t explain why some love their tuned ISF and my experience sucked. Mine was inconsistent and was VERY STINGY with timing. Now it runs 24.4 to 25.4 KCLV on both timing maps. I spoke to another 12 plus owner with a similar experience, and we are even wondering if the 12 plus models received a different tuning strategy or ECU that needs more tuning development.

There are plenty of members on this board that haven’t had the issues that I had, and I’m not sure why. Maybe my car is just a “Princess and a pea.”

For clarity, I did not have the Sector 7 tune. But I do not think our cars like to run lean, and it will limit timing if it does. Add some fuel, and you may find that you have more power.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 09-05-20 | 03:57 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

I just want to chime in here regarding tuning our cars. We have tested our tune on all model years, and by testing I mean both street and on our in house DynoJet 424x. Our tune has been around for a long time, and I realize there are ISF owners out there wanting to try the latest flavor tune, but let me just say that no other tune had been as well documented as ours in terms of independent dyno results posted on social media, as well as actual 1/4 mile results.

As these cars age, there are definitely variations in the way these cars respond to tuning. Over the years, we have received and conducted compression testing from probably 100 or more ISF's (owners looking to SC and testing their engines before hand). We have seen 150,000 mile cars test 200psi+, and just a few days ago we had a 80,000 2012 ISF test at 180psi. Some cars test as low as 160 or 170psi! Generally speaking, cars that are KCLV challenged tend to be the lower compression cars. That probably has to do with a number of factors and how well the car was maintained over its lifetime (many of which are approaching 13 years. Based on what we see at our shop, I think the number one factor that results in engine damage is the infamous valley plate leak. Many ISF's, through no fault of the owner, are driven long periods of time with the coolant leak. We see this when we replace radiators and see significant amounts of deposits/corrosion in the upper inlet, mostly due to driving with air in the system. Another major factor affecting compression numbers with ISF's is cars being tracked or driven hard in hot temps without auxiliary oil coolers.

It is interesting that RCF v8 is essentially the same engine, but even as RCF's approach 70-80K miles, we simply do not see the kind of compression test or KCLV response variations as we do with ISFs. There are 2 primary reasons for this. One is the large auxiliary oil cooler does not allow oil temps to reach the levels we see in ISFs. Keep in mind, both ISF and RCF have oil squirters under the pistons to cool the pistons and rings. Once the piston/ring reaches a certain temperature, the stock rings, which are gapped per tight OEM specs, will butt and put pressure on the ringlands. Once the rings butt, cylinder scoring and wear can also occur. These issues are exacerbated in the ISF's due to the common valley plate leak... an issue the RCF does not have.

So let me just summarize what I'm trying to say.

(1) For any of our customers who already have our tune and can do basic datalogs with Toyota Techstream (we recommend getting a good cable like the Tactrix Openport 2.0), we are always willing to evaluate those datalogs and optimize the tune if necessary.

(2) If you have a higher mileage ISF that runs a KCLV of 15-19 on a *stock* tune with good 93oct gas, chances are your car will not respond well to tuning. In most cases, I can predict the exact WHP by just seeing the timing datalog. Timing correlates very closely to dyno results. So if your car is untuned and KCLV challenged, it is not likely to respond well to a tune.

(3) Some tuners, borrowing perhaps from their experience with tuning German cars, claim that leaning out the ISF tune makes power. IT DOES NOT. On the contrary, these cars like to run rich and the tune is most stable when the car is running rich.

(4) Regarding the "transmission" tune that keeps the torque converter locked. This is something we are testing, and hopefully will introduce this option later this year, BUT, there is zero objective evidence that keeping the TC fully locked between 6800-7200 improves acceleration the slightest bit. We have had numerous customers run high 11's and low 12's with our tune as-is. The "new" tunes have been around about a year, with virtually no dyno verification of any of the claims, not to mention a lack of 1/4 mile or 100-200 verification that these tunes are any better than our proven tunes.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 09-05-20 at 04:04 AM.
The following 12 users liked this post by RRRacing:
AlOtaBblGm (09-05-20), autoz4me (09-07-20), iH8RICERZ (09-18-20), Lend0 (09-18-20), mike33 (09-07-20), MileHIFcar (09-06-20), mrbondy (09-11-20), Positron (09-05-20), Rossi (09-05-20), shu5892001 (11-18-20), Wh0pp3r (09-18-20), WhyHateTho (09-18-20) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-18-20 | 02:37 AM
perrycucko
Driver School Candidate

I’ve been trying to reach out to them since last 10 days or so with no luck. My GS460 will never get a tune it seems like.
Old 09-18-20 | 06:02 AM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

So I received my updated tune last Friday and I've been driving the car with it this whole week and the car feels great! Steve added more fuel everywhere and KCLV is over 21 on both timing maps. The intake temps are also cooler, since it's much cooler in the mornings and evenings here in Denver.

Looking forward to doing a rematach with MileHiFcar soon at some point !
The following 2 users liked this post by FilwithanF:
MileHIFcar (09-18-20), minator (09-18-20)
Old 09-18-20 | 06:24 AM
viprez586
Intermediate

Here ya go.
sector 7 BETA
dynomax AWD dyno
5th gear pulls.
Stock Fuel & timing maps.

The following 4 users liked this post by viprez586:
MileHIFcar (09-18-20), minator (09-18-20), T4styPh0 (09-18-20), Toprawman (09-18-20)
Old 09-21-20 | 08:53 AM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

Thank you so much for sharing! Is power declining with each run? Sorry, I'm just confused by the different runs. Also, the torque figures seems off.
Old 09-21-20 | 09:23 AM
viprez586
Intermediate

This is 5th gear due to MPH limitations so tq is a bit inflated.
since there was a lot of messages to me personally, as well as public claims that the tune is unsafe, or is lean. S7T asked to get a baseline dyno of STOCK TIMING and STOCK FUEL maps.
Again, it's BETA aka preliminary. We took a few steps back to provide a baseline for all the people jumping on dynos with BETA maps.

Mods are PPE headers, RR intake (rescaled of course), xforce varex, JE 12.3: 1 pistons, mild head intake porting on 93 pump, kclv 24.4
When its finished ill go back to a dynojet where i previously made 422/398 w RR tune on E38 and KCLV in mid to low 20s.
Old 09-21-20 | 03:23 PM
Toprawman
Pit Crew

"Mods are PPE headers, RR intake (rescaled of course)"

What do you mean by rescaled RR intake?? I plan on running the RR Intake with S7 tune as well soon.

Last edited by Toprawman; 09-21-20 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-21-20 | 03:39 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Toprawman
"Mods are PPE headers, RR intake (rescaled of course)"

What do you mean by rescaled RR intake?? I plan on running the RR Intake with S7 tune as well soon.
RR uses a larger diameter intake pipe. Thus requires the MAF to be calibrated aka scaled to the correct size diameter.

Without getting too complicated, only so much air can pass over the MAF as grams per sec (x) in a given diameter pipe (y) in a given time (z).
Then add variables like baro, humidity,air temp,etc. Lol
Old 09-21-20 | 04:37 PM
Jwconeil

You may want to try the tune with the oem intake. My car seems to like it the most.
Toprawman (09-23-20)
Old 09-23-20 | 07:58 AM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

I did some data logging (finally) of the lambdas, on my way home from taking the kids to school. I'm running richer now at WOT . I see values around .8-.9 or so. This explains why the car seems to be pulling harder and smoother in the upper rev range. At idle and part throttle I'm sitting at around 1 or so, with spikes up to 1.2 when I get off the throttle abruptly. I was only looking at the graph (trying not to crash lol), but I'll need to pull up the values on the viewer and take a look at the exact numbers.

Quick Reply: Sector 7 Tuning