IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sector 7 Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-19, 06:39 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sector 7 Tuning

I found them on Facebook through an IS-F fan page found some pictures and videos of this company out of Chicago working on a IS-F and GS460 tune. No specs have been posted up yet. Has anyone heard or have any experience with this company if so post up any information? www.sector7performance.com

Thanks

Popular Reply

09-05-20, 03:57 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 1,413 Likes on 647 Posts

I just want to chime in here regarding tuning our cars. We have tested our tune on all model years, and by testing I mean both street and on our in house DynoJet 424x. Our tune has been around for a long time, and I realize there are ISF owners out there wanting to try the latest flavor tune, but let me just say that no other tune had been as well documented as ours in terms of independent dyno results posted on social media, as well as actual 1/4 mile results.

As these cars age, there are definitely variations in the way these cars respond to tuning. Over the years, we have received and conducted compression testing from probably 100 or more ISF's (owners looking to SC and testing their engines before hand). We have seen 150,000 mile cars test 200psi+, and just a few days ago we had a 80,000 2012 ISF test at 180psi. Some cars test as low as 160 or 170psi! Generally speaking, cars that are KCLV challenged tend to be the lower compression cars. That probably has to do with a number of factors and how well the car was maintained over its lifetime (many of which are approaching 13 years. Based on what we see at our shop, I think the number one factor that results in engine damage is the infamous valley plate leak. Many ISF's, through no fault of the owner, are driven long periods of time with the coolant leak. We see this when we replace radiators and see significant amounts of deposits/corrosion in the upper inlet, mostly due to driving with air in the system. Another major factor affecting compression numbers with ISF's is cars being tracked or driven hard in hot temps without auxiliary oil coolers.

It is interesting that RCF v8 is essentially the same engine, but even as RCF's approach 70-80K miles, we simply do not see the kind of compression test or KCLV response variations as we do with ISFs. There are 2 primary reasons for this. One is the large auxiliary oil cooler does not allow oil temps to reach the levels we see in ISFs. Keep in mind, both ISF and RCF have oil squirters under the pistons to cool the pistons and rings. Once the piston/ring reaches a certain temperature, the stock rings, which are gapped per tight OEM specs, will butt and put pressure on the ringlands. Once the rings butt, cylinder scoring and wear can also occur. These issues are exacerbated in the ISF's due to the common valley plate leak... an issue the RCF does not have.

So let me just summarize what I'm trying to say.

(1) For any of our customers who already have our tune and can do basic datalogs with Toyota Techstream (we recommend getting a good cable like the Tactrix Openport 2.0), we are always willing to evaluate those datalogs and optimize the tune if necessary.

(2) If you have a higher mileage ISF that runs a KCLV of 15-19 on a *stock* tune with good 93oct gas, chances are your car will not respond well to tuning. In most cases, I can predict the exact WHP by just seeing the timing datalog. Timing correlates very closely to dyno results. So if your car is untuned and KCLV challenged, it is not likely to respond well to a tune.

(3) Some tuners, borrowing perhaps from their experience with tuning German cars, claim that leaning out the ISF tune makes power. IT DOES NOT. On the contrary, these cars like to run rich and the tune is most stable when the car is running rich.

(4) Regarding the "transmission" tune that keeps the torque converter locked. This is something we are testing, and hopefully will introduce this option later this year, BUT, there is zero objective evidence that keeping the TC fully locked between 6800-7200 improves acceleration the slightest bit. We have had numerous customers run high 11's and low 12's with our tune as-is. The "new" tunes have been around about a year, with virtually no dyno verification of any of the claims, not to mention a lack of 1/4 mile or 100-200 verification that these tunes are any better than our proven tunes.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 11-10-19, 07:32 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Their stuff is on Instagram. They cracked the transmission codes and will offer transmission tunes. So far their engine tunes aren’t complete. They haven’t released much info.
Old 11-10-19, 08:35 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 348 Likes on 219 Posts

Can’t wait to see who’s tune is better between RR racing and them.
Old 11-10-19, 11:27 AM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Their stuff is on Instagram. They cracked the transmission codes and will offer transmission tunes. So far their engine tunes aren’t complete. They haven’t released much info.
Does this mean we will be able to adjust the stall speed and maybe get the ISF to launch?
The following users liked this post:
MLRSTJ (11-11-19)
Old 11-10-19, 03:06 PM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Trans tune would be cool. what does it do?
Old 11-10-19, 03:14 PM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by Gymkata
Does this mean we will be able to adjust the stall speed and maybe get the ISF to launch?
I think stall speed is based on the physical converter. It opens doors to potential gains though. I’m a noob on this.

Originally Posted by O1GS43O
Trans tune would be cool. what does it do?
We don’t know yet. They did say they can alter pressure, so maybe quicker shifts. They also have locked the torque converter past the stock 6800 RPM, so the raised rev limit will be more beneficial with fast shifts.
Positron (11-11-19)
Old 11-11-19, 05:34 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds good just wait and see the final product....
MLRSTJ (11-11-19)
Old 01-10-20, 05:08 PM
tach409
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think locking the torque converter in 1st instead of 2nd would help 60ft. times
Old 01-10-20, 06:12 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I'll be switching over to his tune as soon as it's ready. Steve is awesome and knows his stuff. Gs460_tuner on Instagram.
Old 01-10-20, 06:46 PM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by tach409
I think locking the torque converter in 1st instead of 2nd would help 60ft. times
I don’t think you can do that since the car isn’t moving some of the time in first (stoplight, for instance).
Old 08-20-20, 02:02 AM
O1GS43O
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

any updates on this?
Old 08-20-20, 07:51 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

At least a handful are running it on the FB groups, I believe it only recently got released out of beta. No solid results to be posted by anyone yet, but I have seen positive seat of the pants reviews from all.
Old 08-20-20, 08:02 AM
Positron
Pit Crew

Received 226 Likes on 71 Posts

My buddy and I just went to Sonoma Raceway the other week. His car has the S7 beta tune. It was the only run during the night time. I think he'll hit 12.3 next time around.

Old 08-20-20, 08:10 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 348 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Positron
My buddy and I just went to Sonoma Raceway the other week. His car has the S7 beta tune. It was the only run during the night time. I think he'll hit 12.3 next time around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIUjng4SooQ
Any runs prior to this with no tune so he can show the before and after times?
Old 08-20-20, 08:52 AM
Jwconeil

My car has fluctuated from 12.27 all the way up to 12.80 based on DA alone (it’s always high here). Just my two cents, but 1/4 mile may not be a great indicator of a tunes value on this platform.
lexicon72 (08-21-20)

Quick Reply: Sector 7 Tuning