IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

For those with gutted cats or headers - Exhaust fumes in cabin while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-19, 10:00 PM
Eurofreak
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default For those with gutted cats or headers - Exhaust fumes in cabin while driving?

To be clear, I know there will be increased fumes out the tailpipe without primary cats and they will inevitably make their way inside while stopped/idling. This isn't my problem.

Do any of you with gutted cats or headers get fumes inside the car, WHILE DRIVING, say 10-60mph? I had Sikky headers installed (with new gaskets) and any time I do WOT pulls at these speeds I've been getting exhaust within the cabin. The initial burn off odors have come and gone by the way - I'm definitely smelling exhaust.
The exhaust smell is most noticeable with the sunroof in tilt position and the HVAC in recirculate mode. With this scenario, I'm guessing I am creating a vacuum within the cabin, sucking in fumes from somewhere. But where?

My mechanic is convinced his work isn't to blame and that I am getting the exhaust that has left the mufflers at the rear of the car back inside somehow... while moving. I've worked on cars for 20 years (some without cats) and I don't buy this. Has any one else had this problem?
Old 11-23-19, 10:09 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Eurofreak
To be clear, I know there will be increased fumes out the tailpipe without primary cats and they will inevitably make their way inside while stopped/idling. This isn't my problem.

Do any of you with gutted cats or headers get fumes inside the car, WHILE DRIVING, say 10-60mph? I had Sikky headers installed (with new gaskets) and any time I do WOT pulls at these speeds I've been getting exhaust within the cabin. The initial burn off odors have come and gone by the way - I'm definitely smelling exhaust.
The exhaust smell is most noticeable with the sunroof in tilt position and the HVAC in recirculate mode. With this scenario, I'm guessing I am creating a vacuum within the cabin, sucking in fumes from somewhere. But where?

My mechanic is convinced his work isn't to blame and that I am getting the exhaust that has left the mufflers at the rear of the car back inside somehow... while moving. I've worked on cars for 20 years (some without cats) and I don't buy this. Has any one else had this problem?
Do you have stock mufflers? Could be sucking in fumes from the trunk air vents behind the bumper.
Old 11-23-19, 11:01 PM
BlackISFNY
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Trunk air vent

The following 3 users liked this post by BlackISFNY:
idoke1 (11-24-19), James7 (11-24-19), jdmek998 (11-26-19)
Old 11-24-19, 08:28 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackISFNY
Trunk air vent
This, I can vouch for it as well. Once I repaired mine, no more smells in the cabin!
Old 11-24-19, 09:37 AM
Eurofreak
Driver

So you guys are saying that even when the car was in motion you were getting the smells in the cabin? And replacing the vent fixed it?
And yes, I still have stock mufflers.
Old 11-24-19, 09:51 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

When I do WOT (stock engine) I still get smells in the cabin. My vents appear in good shape
Old 11-24-19, 10:11 AM
James7
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks to those who contributed to this thread, in case anyone needs this;

The following users liked this post:
vinz8 (11-29-19)
Old 11-24-19, 04:52 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Mine always stinks. Will def check the trunk vents and figure out a way to plug them up.
Old 11-25-19, 05:08 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would assume you don't have mufflers that exit after the bumper, if you do and still get the smell you probably have an exhaust leak. If you have no cats and the mufflers exit at the stock location, you need to check those vents. I never get any odor in my interior with the magnaflow RR borla setup but my friend who gutted his cats with the normal borla mufflers definitely did.
Old 12-05-19, 04:13 PM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I can vouch for this. Just changed mine out. Mine had no flaps present at all so both disintegrated and fell off. But basically when u crack a window open, the vacuum effect happens and exhaust is sucked into the trunk and then into the cabin. Pretty easy to change out. I didn't have to take off the bumper. Just opened the side panels in the trunk and popped out the old ones, then pressed in from beneath the bumper. What worked for me was to press in the bottom part to "click". Then pulled in the top clips to click from the inside. The passenger side, i just unplugged the amp and unbolted the 2 nuts and removed the amp out of the way.
Old 12-05-19, 04:44 PM
Eurofreak
Driver

Thanks guys. We did find an exhaust leak at the collector, but I do feel like the vents might still be an issue. I'll check them out.