IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Heartbroken. Another one bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-20, 07:34 PM
mnishimura
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Heartbroken. Another one bites the dust

In March 2019, my 2006 Scion tC fell victim to a hit and run. Insurance declared it a total loss.

I took the opportunity to buy my dream car, a 2008 Lexus ISF. I had every intention of driving the ISF until it didn't work anymore. I just didn't realize that day would come so soon. Deja vu, the ISF fell victim to hit and run in November 2019. I got rear ended on the freeway and it ended up being a 4 car collision. I exited the freeway and called 911 to check on the other parties. Just my luck, the other 3 parties took off. No one else even reported it. Insurance declared it a total loss as well. I'm heartbroken.

I had performed a 40 hour, three stage paint correction and ceramic coating.

I have been a lurker on the Club Lexus forums for the past 8 months. I've learned a lot about the ISF, more than I ever wanted to know. I finally got around to making an account.

On a side note, looking to buy another ISF in the LA/OC/IE/Ventura/San Bernardino/Riverside area, preferably black, blue, white or gray.

Old 01-02-20, 08:04 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry for your loss, that really blows. Hopefully you're gonna be able to get back most of what you paid for it.
Old 01-02-20, 08:31 PM
JRT3
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear. Honestly I was expecting worse, but suppose the the hood and trunk are probably expensive. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-02-20, 09:27 PM
KenISF
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe it's better it was totaled. Rear end look all twisted. Hopefully you back in another F asap.
Old 01-03-20, 02:34 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Doesn't look that bad honestly. Over estimating/overpriced labor is where "totalled" is coming from. How many miles on it?

V.
Old 01-03-20, 05:20 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Horribly sorry for your loss(es). Glad you're ok.
I'm with others on the panels, looks like a total loss to me. Getting those lines back may be next to impossible.
Be sure and let insurance know of all costs / receipts of what you put into the car, particularly that ceramic coating. When you get your next ISF, get that same treatment, it looks like outstanding work.
Old 01-03-20, 06:03 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,272 Posts

If the airbags didn't deploy, I'm surprised they totaled it without pulling the bumpers. That said, it is fair to assume the left body rail structure is shorter and kinked which they just don't repair these days.

GL and glad you are ok....
Old 01-03-20, 01:55 PM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

They DO repair these- all day. Many shops now have frame straighteners. I would see what your insurance company will sell you back the salvaged car for. The damage looks to be all cosmetic, not mechanical. The structural stuff can be corrected to make the cosmetic look good. Mechanically if the car is perfect, you might be able to pick your own car up for pennies on your dollar and you get paid. You can pay the shop yourself to pull that LR quarter back out. It's a bit of a project but it can be done.
Old 01-04-20, 06:51 AM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

...if that's totaled, then Cali must have the most incompetent autobody folks on the planet.

My wife drift-tapped an "icy road" sign in our '07 250, sign pole bent the fuel door perfectly in half, and that C-pillar's skin was pushed all the way in to the wheel, top-to-bottom. That's 10x the difficulty of any the sheet metal work you see here. Insurance claim, 3 day turnaround.
If you care about this particular car, I'd either have it re-appraised without paint or buy back the scrap and bring it back to life (have fun with that in CA). There's nothing here saying this car isn't just a couple polyurethane bumpers and headlights away from just needing a paint job.
Old 01-04-20, 08:46 AM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

Well, I thought so too. But two things, Cali bodywork is expensive - emissions, hazardous waste management, taxes, all add cost. This car is financially totaled, not mechanically. Up to now I agree with you Ultra. But then I noticed the rear door on driver's side, the back gap with the rear quarter panel. That rear quarter is crushed forward. Possible frame damage. But I'll bet it is cosmetic only. So yeah, I would think I would buy it back from the insurance company.
Old 01-04-20, 04:57 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,272 Posts

In a body frame shop I used to run a Chief Easy Liner S2 and we pulled that stuff back in 30min tops. And I would absolutely trust it again in all but 75mph rear end collision.

If you don't mind sharing; how much to repair and how much did you pay for it?

When it comes to pulling, this thing was unstoppable! I pulled back munched tube chassis race cars, trucks, unibodies... You name it..find a way to reverse the damage and light stuff like that doesn't mean it needs a new rail even though the panel gap is in. That's nothing if the door fits the hole and closes. I'd fight to save it.
Sample:
http://www.machinematch.com/details.mgi?bp=&id=2780
Looks like;

Old 01-11-20, 11:17 AM
Lexyaaaas
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to add insult to injury, But how in the world did you let 3 other parties get away?
You're in an ISF nobody should be able to evade you without a fight!
Old 01-11-20, 12:09 PM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexyaaaas
Sorry to add insult to injury, But how in the world did you let 3 other parties get away?
You're in an ISF nobody should be able to evade you without a fight!
They got away because he exited the highway, and the others kept on driving.
Probably like Texas... Been in 3 accidents with other drivers, none spoke English, and none had insurance.
The following users liked this post:
vertex16 (01-20-20)
Old 01-11-20, 01:06 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

In Indiana, you really just need to get their plates to report to your insurance. The reality is, people run when they don’t have insurance. Your policy is going to have to cover it anyway. There is no need to endanger yourself, others, or even end up shot just to corner someone to find out they have no insurance, which is the most likely reason they ran (that or they have a warrant or are intoxicated).

If you get plates, you can at least tell your insurance to see if they had insurance.
Old 01-19-20, 06:00 AM
Dunavant
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Salvage auction sales

It’s all about the insurance company’s profits and their other golden rule.

Any car that’s ten years and older are usually removed from the road when hit.

Plus that car will bring $13,000 at the auction

You’re better off letting go of it because of the bad Carfax.

Quick Reply: Heartbroken. Another one bites the dust