Bad Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 07:50 AM
Maskaveli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Torque Converter

Hi fellow IS-F lovers,
You've all been tremendously helpful in the past when it comes to this car but I'm at a loss currently and would appreciate any help. I have a 2011 Lexus IS-F, I'm second owner and bought it with 50K miles in 2014. I've thoroughly enjoyed the car as evident in it's current 177K miles.

Like many of us, after installing PPE Headers & ISS Forged DES Exhaust the CEL light came on almost every drive so I've cleared those codes as keep going with no issues. Over time I would sometimes notice the car would lose power or hesitate occasionally (in lower gears) wouldn't last long and figured it had to do with the CEL light being reset a lot and someone mentioned the cars can go into "limp mode" sometimes with the CEL.

Anyway, a couple weeks back the hesitation was at it's worst and the car would barely drive. We tried a couple things including replacement spark plugs but had to eventually bite the bullet and take it to Lexus to tell me what's wrong. It took them almost a week but came back with a "Bad Torque Converter" that isn't locking up correctly. They suggest since the mileage is so high I might as well replace the Transmission which houses the Torque Converter opposed to replacing the Converter itself.

The options there are not pretty at all. They want $11K installed for a new one and $6500 for a pre-owned one from LKQ. Neither of those options are appealing at all. My buddy is a Master Certified Lexus Tech and he's saying if we can find another Torque Converter we can swap it out for a lot less then replacing the entire transmission.

I've searched wide and far and cannot find a part number for an after market one to use. It looks like the part number is 32000-50050 for the OEM. Unfortunately that part anywhere is over $1K. Has anyone replaced their Torque Converter before?
If I'm not able to find a converter I think I'm stuck buying a $1K pre-owned transmission and then having my buddy install for another $1K which I don't want to do.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by Maskaveli; 01-17-20 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Added part number
Old 01-17-20, 08:04 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Ouch. A couple weeks ago there was a guy selling a NEW one for like $2500. Ill see if i can find it. I believe the LS460 and GS460 use the same trans. including the GSF and RCF.

Last edited by jdmek998; 01-17-20 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-17-20, 09:29 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

A few people in here should have brand new spare transmissions. A few years ago they were being sold for about $1k a piece and some people bought them. Perhaps one of them can give you a decent price on one.
Old 01-17-20, 09:55 AM
Maskaveli
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I've been looking on ebay but I'll check out classifieds on here too.
Old 01-17-20, 09:56 AM
Maskaveli
Driver School Candidate

Wow! $1K for a brand new transmission????
Old 01-17-20, 10:43 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1102...94244413959521

"Brand new ISF/RCF/GSF transmission AA80E and Torque Converters

Brand new in Crate 2,295.00 shipped torque converter 495.00 shipped retail is over 5k and 1k. I this will work for the RCF/GSF. Part number may be different but per Lexus Racing are the same.

2008- 2014 Lexus IS-F, Automatic Transmission, A/T Model AA80E - NEW

$2,495.00 shipped"

$2500 in PA new listed just in December 2019 and he can ship torque converter separate .. Guy was on this forum also, worth a PM to ask. EDIT: he just replied and said still for sale. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...earbangin.html

Good luck! Please do keep us updated.

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 01-17-20 at 02:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by LexusfanVA:
ernisill (01-24-20), jdmek998 (01-17-20), Maskaveli (01-19-20)
Old 01-17-20, 02:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

He bought that gearbox for a song. They were factory units sold on eBay stupid cheap, less than a grand.

Yours is the first torque converter problem I've seen on this forum, and I've been here since '06, well before the IS F. Sounds like someone might have drag raced your car and overheated the torque converter - the service manual is explicit about stall testing and not to do it for long or to do it frequently.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
ernisill (01-24-20), vertex16 (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20, 08:38 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Would this work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-35010...EAAOSwdq9dOxqh
Old 01-17-20, 09:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

^^^^You may want to read this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-08-ls460.html

Short Answer - Maybe

Lou
Old 01-19-20, 11:20 AM
Maskaveli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1102...94244413959521

"Brand new ISF/RCF/GSF transmission AA80E and Torque Converters

Brand new in Crate 2,295.00 shipped torque converter 495.00 shipped retail is over 5k and 1k. I this will work for the RCF/GSF. Part number may be different but per Lexus Racing are the same.

2008- 2014 Lexus IS-F, Automatic Transmission, A/T Model AA80E - NEW

$2,495.00 shipped"

$2500 in PA new listed just in December 2019 and he can ship torque converter separate .. Guy was on this forum also, worth a PM to ask. EDIT: he just replied and said still for sale. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mem...earbangin.html

Good luck! Please do keep us updated.

Thanks for your help. I’ve reached out about the torque converter and waiting to hear back. Much appreciated!
Old 01-23-20, 11:15 PM
KenISF
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

This seller on ebay is selling a used tranny for 556 if you haven't bought one already.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-08-09...gAAOSwB0hcnYTk
Old 01-28-20, 06:04 PM
RRocket
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Personally, I'd just have the converter rebuilt/re-stalled.

It's a conventional torque converter...any performance converter shop could do this easily and affordably.

Last edited by RRocket; 01-28-20 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 02:56 PM
viprez586
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Maskaveli
Hi fellow IS-F lovers,
You've all been tremendously helpful in the past when it comes to this car but I'm at a loss currently and would appreciate any help. I have a 2011 Lexus IS-F, I'm second owner and bought it with 50K miles in 2014. I've thoroughly enjoyed the car as evident in it's current 177K miles.

Like many of us, after installing PPE Headers & ISS Forged DES Exhaust the CEL light came on almost every drive so I've cleared those codes as keep going with no issues. Over time I would sometimes notice the car would lose power or hesitate occasionally (in lower gears) wouldn't last long and figured it had to do with the CEL light being reset a lot and someone mentioned the cars can go into "limp mode" sometimes with the CEL.

Anyway, a couple weeks back the hesitation was at it's worst and the car would barely drive. We tried a couple things including replacement spark plugs but had to eventually bite the bullet and take it to Lexus to tell me what's wrong. It took them almost a week but came back with a "Bad Torque Converter" that isn't locking up correctly. They suggest since the mileage is so high I might as well replace the Transmission which houses the Torque Converter opposed to replacing the Converter itself.

The options there are not pretty at all. They want $11K installed for a new one and $6500 for a pre-owned one from LKQ. Neither of those options are appealing at all. My buddy is a Master Certified Lexus Tech and he's saying if we can find another Torque Converter we can swap it out for a lot less then replacing the entire transmission.

I've searched wide and far and cannot find a part number for an after market one to use. It looks like the part number is 32000-50050 for the OEM. Unfortunately that part anywhere is over $1K. Has anyone replaced their Torque Converter before?
If I'm not able to find a converter I think I'm stuck buying a $1K pre-owned transmission and then having my buddy install for another $1K which I don't want to do.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Did you source one?
I have a OEM torque converter with 75k miles on it if you're still in need.
Old 02-25-20, 08:25 AM
Maskaveli
Driver School Candidate

Hello everyone, unfortunately this story has a very tragic ending. After help from LexusFanVA (thanks again) I was able to procure a brand new torque converter for $500 which was a deal. I had a buddy of mine do the install and the estimated one week of course turned into two weeks to finish. After it was completed (I had been without the car for almost a month through the entire process) he drove it back up to me and that's when tragedy struck...

Literally right outside my neighborhood someone pulled out in front of him and both cars were destroyed. I was about one minute from finally getting it back and now it's gone. Needless to say losing the F is a huge bummer but not the worst of it. I don't want to get into any details of either of the drivers conditions as it's still an ongoing nightmare.

Everyone please drive safe out there and stay extra vigilant. It's an extremely dangerous world we live in.
Old 02-25-20, 09:15 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Very sad to hear this news. It really is the one thing I think about when I consider spending money to modify the car. If something like this happens, all the mods are for naught.

Quick Reply: Bad Torque Converter