Is f avs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20, 06:22 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Is f avs?

Hi,

I was wondering if the IS F has AVS? And if so, how does Lexus' AVS system work? Is it electronic or hydraulic?
Old 01-26-20, 06:39 AM
CSpecISF
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The IS-F did not come with AVS. AVS is a top-mounted electronic actuator which controls the valving within the shock or strut.
Old 01-26-20, 11:14 AM
Yri
Advanced

Originally Posted by CSpecISF
The IS-F did not come with AVS. AVS is a top-mounted electronic actuator which controls the valving within the shock or strut.
Alright, thanks. So it basically controls the hydraulic fluid in the shock by use of a pump and valve?

Last edited by Yri; 01-26-20 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-26-20, 12:25 PM
CSpecISF
Rookie

No problem. It does control the fluid in the shock with a valve, but no pump is involved. The electronic actuator sits on top of the shock, which rotates a sealed shaft connected to a valve within the shock's piston. The valve is what allows shock oil to flow through either side of the piston. When the valve is mechanically opened further or closed (not completely, just restricted) by the electronic actuator, it varies the rate at which the shock oil passes through the piston, offering an increase or decrease in dampening, all on-the-fly.
Old 01-26-20, 12:56 PM
Yri
Advanced

No problem. It does control the fluid in the shock with a valve, but no pump is involved. The electronic actuator sits on top of the shock, which rotates a sealed shaft connected to a valve within the shock's piston. The valve is what allows shock oil to flow through either side of the piston. When the valve is mechanically opened further or closed (not completely, just restricted) by the electronic actuator, it varies the rate at which the shock oil passes through the piston, offering an increase or decrease in dampening, all on-the-fly.
well in the IS F's case, I thought that the shock was a gas filled one, meaning it had nitrogen on one side of the piston, and hydraulic fluid on the other.
Old 01-26-20, 06:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaverx
well in the IS F's case, I thought that the shock was a gas filled one, meaning it had nitrogen on one side of the piston, and hydraulic fluid on the other.
That has nothing to do with the damping rates, only the propensity for the fluid to cavitate.
Old 01-26-20, 06:47 PM
CSpecISF
Rookie

^ exactly this.
Old 01-27-20, 05:42 AM
Yri
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That has nothing to do with the damping rates, only the propensity for the fluid to cavitate.
What I mean by saying that is the hydraulic oil couldn't flow on both sides of the piston because the one side is gas. That is what I was taught that a gas filled shock was, was a highly compressed tube of gas with a piston separating the gas from the hydraulic oil in the top of the shock.

Last edited by Yri; 01-27-20 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-27-20, 07:19 AM
Yri
Advanced

Oh wait, maybe I'm stupid.

So the piston valve is different from the piston? I found this image here:

So basically, all gas-charged shocks have a piston valve, but in the AVS system, there is an ACTUAL valve that is controlled electronically that exists within the piston valve to change damping pressure?
Old 01-27-20, 09:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaverx
Oh wait, maybe I'm stupid.

So the piston valve is different from the piston? I found this image here:

So basically, all gas-charged shocks have a piston valve, but in the AVS system, there is an ACTUAL valve that is controlled electronically that exists within the piston valve to change damping pressure?
All shock dampers have a piston with valving. Some have a piston used to pressurize the viscous fluid to prevent cavitation when the piston with valving would cause cavitation in the fluid and alter the damping characteristics of the damper.
Old 01-28-20, 05:30 AM
Yri
Advanced

All shock dampers have a piston with valving. Some have a piston used to pressurize the viscous fluid to prevent cavitation when the piston with valving would cause cavitation in the fluid and alter the damping characteristics of the damper.
So in a sense, the valve on a normal damper isn't electronically operated, but on a AVS system it is?
Old 01-29-20, 03:23 AM
CSpecISF
Rookie

Right. A normal damper has fixed valving (there is no variance in the damping), whereas the electronic system is able to actively vary damping as the control unit sees fit.
Old 01-29-20, 05:22 AM
Yri
Advanced

Right. A normal damper has fixed valving (there is no variance in the damping), whereas the electronic system is able to actively vary damping as the control unit sees fit.
Alright, I think I learned a thing or two by starting this thread. So it seems like having AVS would increase handling and ride comfort capabilities?