IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Exhaust Leak: Root Cause and How to Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 12:23 AM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 271 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Exhaust Leak: Root Cause and How to Fix?

I was checking my work after an oil change on Saturday afternoon when I found exhaust leaks where the header flange mates with the first exhaust tubing flange, just upstream of the O2 sensor, on both left and right sides. I observed vapor escaping the joint and felt the leaking air with my hand. I suspect both sides have been leaking for a while due to the carbon-type discoloration at the joints. The welds appear to have held, but it appears the gaskets at each joint have failed.

Left (Driver's) Side

Right (Passenger's) Side

Is fixing this as "simple" as replacing the gaskets? Is this to be expected on a car that lived its first ~3yrs in snowbelt states? It seems odd to me that both sides have failed in the same spot, with apparently equivalent carbon buildup.

I just got the car (2011 with stock exhaust) and am trying to figure it out. I have never had to deal with an exhaust leak at a joint like this before - my two previous experiences have been a corroded muffler (corrected by welding on a replacement) and a minor weld imperfect/leak at a resonator (corrected by touching up the weld).

Would appreciate any insight.
Thanks.
-James
Old 03-30-20, 05:14 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I had the same leaks, albeit with aftermarket header and exhaust. Chances are it is from installation and the exhaust not being aligned well, since both sides failed. Loosen up the exhaust, get new gaskets, and start snugging the exhaust down loosely at first. Tighten it from the headers first and work your way back. I had to loosen most of my exhaust and realign it, but it seems to have worked. Since your exhaust is oem, new oem gaskets should work. You can use aftermarket if you prefer.
Old 03-30-20, 06:07 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

You'll need some PB Blaster or WD40 to get those bolts off... Make sure they come off 100% prior to starting the gasket replacement job..

In the event that they don't, you will have to cut them off.. Having new ones on hand would be ideal.

You'll need two of these for the OEM gaskets.. If you need other part numbers let us know.

Welcome to the F Club..!!

Joe Z
Old 03-30-20, 01:12 PM
KyleISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You may also want to try Remflex #8019 crush style 2 bolt flange gasket. Trust me... I went through about 6 different gaskets before I found these. I swear by them now.

Also, might not be a bad idea to pick up some new nuts for the bolts. They are oblong locking nuts that may be rounded after being taken off a few times (they may not stay torqued).

https://catalog.remflex.com/COLLECTO...ket_p/8019.htm
The following users liked this post:
ISFerr (12-24-20)
Old 03-30-20, 01:45 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I had the same leaks, albeit with aftermarket header and exhaust. Chances are it is from installation and the exhaust not being aligned well, since both sides failed. Loosen up the exhaust, get new gaskets, and start snugging the exhaust down loosely at first. Tighten it from the headers first and work your way back. I had to loosen most of my exhaust and realign it, but it seems to have worked. Since your exhaust is oem, new oem gaskets should work. You can use aftermarket if you prefer.
Okay, good advice, thank you. So are we both suspecting that this car had an aftermarket "cat-back" exhaust installed at some point, then when the OEM system was re-installed it was not aligned correctly at these joints? I have a hard time believing a pristine factory installation would fail on both sides simultaneously.

===

Thanks JoeZ and Kyle for gasket info, I will investigate. I will plan to replace bolts, nuts, and gaskets. I have plenty of PB Blaster on hand, but who knows what it will take to get those corroded fasteners broken free. This sort of stuff is so much easier on a lift, so am considering taking it to a shop instead of wrestling it at home.

Old 03-30-20, 04:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

You already have my recommend Bolt On shop..

The OEM crush gaskets are recommended one time pancake use only... Perse.

So could have had a different exhaust or not.. Checking to see what else has been wrenched on, sometimes you can tell..

for example visual inspection of O2 sensors nut condition & wiring..

Edit - Actually this car had exhaust work done for sure...

The O2 sensor shields have been cut off..

See here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post4852867

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-30-20 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-30-20, 05:50 PM
Jwconeil

My new O2 sensors came without shields. Not sure when they changed that. I bought oem (Bosch?... can’t remember brand) based on part numbers. So those are newer O2s.

You also don’t necessarily know that they failed at the same time, but if one side is not lined up correctly, chances are the other side isn’t since that mid pipe is all connected. If it was removed and replaced with the old gaskets, that would explain why they both leaked, since they crush during initial install.

Look around for markings like JoeZ stated. The car may be able to hint as to its past.
Old 03-30-20, 06:54 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Denso OE or Lexus OEM would look like the below..

Joe Z
Old 03-30-20, 10:25 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

My new O2 sensors came without shields. Not sure when they changed that. I bought oem (Bosch?... can’t remember brand) based on part numbers. So those are newer O2s.

You also don’t necessarily know that they failed at the same time, but if one side is not lined up correctly, chances are the other side isn’t since that mid pipe is all connected. If it was removed and replaced with the old gaskets, that would explain why they both leaked, since they crush during initial install.

Look around for markings like JoeZ stated. The car may be able to hint as to its past.
Good point, if one side was off, it could/would torque the other. I appreciate the nuance. I will look around more closely. This detective work is fun.

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Okay, so clearly mine has either newer or modified original O2 sensors.
Thanks for photo.

My right/passenger-side O2 sensor. Clearly no shield/sink. (sorry for focus)

Found this photo from the JoeZ/PTS catback install megathread here from several years ago.
Old 03-31-20, 07:22 AM
Jwconeil

Joe Z
Denso... that’s it. I bought one from autozone last summer and it had no shield.
Old 03-31-20, 10:37 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Question

Denso... that’s it. I bought one from autozone last summer and it had no shield.
Did they sell you the Denso OEM equivalent First Time Fit ??

Old 04-01-20, 12:55 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

You'll need some PB Blaster or WD40 to get those bolts off... Make sure they come off 100% prior to starting the gasket replacement job..

In the event that they don't, you will have to cut them off.. Having new ones on hand would be ideal.

You'll need two of these for the OEM gaskets.. If you need other part numbers let us know.

Welcome to the F Club..!!

Joe Z
Do you happen to know the part numbers for the bolts and nuts?
Old 04-01-20, 01:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Bolt - 90105-10558
Nut - 90179-10037
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
ChpEng (04-01-20), WhyHateTho (02-27-23)
Old 04-04-20, 03:59 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Following up...replaced gaskets, bolts, and nuts yesterday. There were no signs of scoring on the O2 sensors, everything had the same rusty patina, and the rest of the exhaust sections were well-aligned and appeared untouched. So I think this was a simple lifetime fatigue failure of the gaskets.

Based on discussion here, it seems the O2 sensor styles were different over the years, or at least for 2011.

The exhaust note is much less agricultural now. Thanks to all for the timely help. :-)
The following users liked this post:
Joe Z (04-04-20)