IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Best Recomendation For Brake Pads? I don't go to the track but want good balance

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 02:48 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericspyder
How do you compare Stop tech with EBC pad. I've been used EBC, but they a little pricey compare to Stop tech. I need your opinion to switch. Thanks.
l’ve never used EBC
Old 04-10-20, 06:57 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Is the general consensus that, the more track oriented, the dustier a pad will be? My oem pads dust so badly I feel I need to start cleaning the roads after I drive them.
Old 04-10-20, 08:42 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

^^^^That's not the consensus it's fact. The pad material is the sole influencer of whether the brakes will be dust heavily or not. Dual Purpose or Track oriented brake pads will dust more heavily than street oriented pads, they will also wear out faster and they tend to make noise. The dust, noise and wear are a consequence of a HiPo set of brakes.

And for me, I'll take performance every time

Lou
Old 04-10-20, 09:39 AM
bjo71
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wagner Thermoquiet is another to look at. Almost the same initial bite as stock, but alot less dust for sure.
Old 04-10-20, 10:15 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by EuroWill
You are technically correct but the pads used on F-sports are the same Textar compound as ISFs.
As a Lexus Tech.. When you say F-Sport.. Are you talking about the Lexus Factory Japan Badge and OEM brake pad referenced parts numbers??

The Lexus Accessory F-Sport BBK for the prior model IS 250 / IS 350 models where 100% Stoptechs.
Who's parent company is Centric Parts® North America.

For those who don't know the USA driven F-Sport Accessory Line (circa 2007) is what spawned the creation of the Lexus OEM F-Sport Badge built cars... Which inturn years later impacted the reduction of the USA driven performance accessory parts..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 04-10-20 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ISF4life (04-10-20)
Old 04-10-20, 06:15 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^That's not the consensus it's fact. The pad material is the sole influencer of whether the brakes will be dust heavily or not. Dual Purpose or Track oriented brake pads will dust more heavily than street oriented pads, they will also wear out faster and they tend to make noise. The dust, noise and wear are a consequence of a HiPo set of brakes.

And for me, I'll take performance every time

Lou
Lou,

With all the dust, noise and wear of the oem pads you would think they would be a much better performance pad, they really don't do
anything very well. Mine actually started to crumble after my first track day. I replaced them with Endless MX72 and they are better on
the street (half the dust, no noise, same bite) and way better at the track with no break down of the pad material after my second
track day... They are pricey though at $350 just for the fronts.
Old 06-04-20, 04:55 AM
Nikeboi09
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

This thread is gold, so much good information. Good thing for me I got stoptech pads for all four corners, free from another fellow ISF owner who upgraded to project MU. The pads still have plenty of meat left andddddd he used them on the track, which means I can use them there too. yayy.
Old 06-05-20, 12:22 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Miss my stop tech sports. Good high temp sand great price. Too bad they don’t make the sports on the newer F cars
Old 06-05-20, 09:24 AM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

I ended up going Brembo all around. Perfect OEM feel. $679 out the door from BMAParts.com. Except that dude on the box gives me the creeps.

Last edited by AlOtaBblGm; 06-09-20 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-05-20, 08:37 PM
ToYourGSE
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Since this thread is bumped, figured I'd update. I ended up going with the Duralast Gold Ceramic because they were dirt cheap ($110 for all 4 brakes), and I was very short on cash cuz of coronavirus (no income at the time), and they urgently needed replacing. When I went to the guy to install them he roasted me saying "why did you buy **** brakepads, Duralast sucks, don't blame me if they squeak". I assured him I wouldn't blame him.

Anyway, the Duralast brakes are ok, and no, do not squeak. They are adequate enough to handle triple digit speeds like I needed. But the bite isn't as satisfying as the OEM. So I'll probably replace them prematurely, and get new OEM discs with either OEM or Project Mu pads when I do.
Old 06-05-20, 10:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by AlOtaBblGm
I ended up going Brembo all around. Perfect OEM feel. $550 out the door from BMAParts.com. Except that dude on the box gives me the creeps.
Last month you posted with same pict:

I just put these on yesterday, feel great with initial run. Easiest brake job I've ever done. And I've done more than a few. The pads are the same as the ones in your link. Got the whole setup from BMAParts.com for $679 out the door.
How did it shrink by $129

Lou
The following 3 users liked this post by flowrider:
Joe Z (06-06-20), lobuxracer (06-08-20), WillAP1 (06-05-20)
Old 06-08-20, 01:06 PM
NMatejik
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2012 ISF had Jurid pads from lexus not textar, i could still see the name stamped on the pad when I replaced them. I am a big fan of Hawk HPS pads on my other cars, however I purchased the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads for my ISF and was unhappy with the fitment on the front. They stopped the car well (not as good as OEM) and had low dust, however they had a lot of pad "slap" when applying the breaks. I could hear the metal clank. Before anyone asks yes I replaced the fitting kit and tension spring and it did not help. After about 5K miles the movement stopped and noise stopped but the noise was annoying those first 6 mpnths. The fronts lasted 40K miles on normal street driving with the occosional spirited run.

My most recent pad replacement I went with the Stoptech Sports, I have been happy thus far but only have about 100 miles on them. Low noise, decent stopping power, however it is less stopping than OEM pads. Not bad for $100 for a pair of front pads. (cheaper than the Hawks).

Just to put it in perspective, the OEM pads have incredible stopping power. Everytime I needed to hit the brakes to avoid a knucklehead driver I was worried I was going to get rear ended by somebody who could not stop as good. LOL.

Hope this helps with ypur decision.
Old 06-09-20, 07:05 AM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flowrider
Last month you posted with same pict:

How did it shrink by $129

Lou
You got me Lou. I coulda sworn I already posted that pic in a thread. Lol. I will correct my post- thanks.

Corrected!

Last edited by AlOtaBblGm; 06-09-20 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-10-20, 09:25 AM
steeven001
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

I ended up going Brembo all around. Perfect OEM feel. $679 out the door from BMAParts.com. Except that dude on the box gives me the creeps.

​​​​How's the dust with these pads?
Old 06-10-20, 10:07 AM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Not bad. Somehow it seems like less but it still gets dirty.

Quick Reply: Best Recomendation For Brake Pads? I don't go to the track but want good balance