IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Purchased ISF two weeks ago and this happened

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 10:02 PM
gedior
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Purchased ISF two weeks ago and this happened

Hello everyone. I recently purchased 2008 Lexus ISF with 170000km. Before making a decision this forum helped me a lot to make a right one

Yesterday I was driving and check engine light + traction control off + red exclamation mark + check VSC went on. I stopped and start checking the car. When turning the car on It felt jiggly, shaky. Like the whole car was vibrating. Also, the rev idle is jiggly, drops to 500 rpm and feels like the car will turn off but it does not (see file attached)

I went to the dealership, they suggested doing engine, sparkplug checking, filters cleaning. They said OBD showed a problem with gas being too "fatty" or fuel injectors are injecting too much fuel into the engine. I asked for the exact fault code but by the time he couldn't remember.

I checked the filter (see image) it is K&N sports filter.

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: mov
2020-04-28 07.47.08.mov (2.82 MB, 83 views)
Old 04-28-20, 02:17 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd call back and get the code. You paid for the diagnostic, the code is part of the diagnostic.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasD94 (05-01-20)
Old 04-28-20, 05:15 AM
gedior
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ultimase
I'd call back and get the code. You paid for the diagnostic, the code is part of the diagnostic.
I got the codes. Here they are (see image).

ThomasD94 (04-29-20)
Old 04-28-20, 05:54 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Before replacing injectors etc, start simple. Replace the engine air filter with oem vs an oiled filled one like a K&N. And spray the mass air flow sensor with the CRC maf sensor cleaner and reset the codes to see if it comes up again.
The following 2 users liked this post by itsmike177:
James7 (04-28-20), Weapon F (04-28-20)
Old 04-28-20, 08:51 AM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

^^^ what he said. K&N's slowly vaporize the oil that they use to filter the incoming air and over time it accumulates on and messes up the MAF. This could be causing your problem.

The good news its both banks so the problem is likely a central component, like an MAF.
Hardrvin (04-30-20)
Old 04-28-20, 09:42 AM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Anyone else know what P1170 typically relates towards? I have seen this pop up on my end a few times - sometimes with a reset it is fine.
Vacuum / Air Leak?
Old 04-28-20, 09:49 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Wow. That filter looks dry. k&n oil dye is red.
Old 04-28-20, 10:44 AM
gedior
Driver School Candidate

The filter is drying over night. What should I do with oil build up in the pipe. Should I clean it? If so how? What material to use? This is how the pipe looks like (see images)

Thank you everyone for the help
Old 04-28-20, 11:32 AM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Rich sounds like an intake leak post-MAF sensor. It is metering X amount of air, but only Y is getting into the engine. Over fueling.

Port injector code is only there because the car is assuming something is wrong with the injectors because it's overfueling
Old 04-28-20, 11:38 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Maybe I’m missing something, but an intake leak causes a lean condition.
The following 2 users liked this post by McPierson:
Hardrvin (04-30-20), ilovett76 (05-04-20)
Old 04-28-20, 11:51 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

What is the hole in that last picture? Is it supposed to be there?
Old 04-28-20, 12:31 PM
gedior
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LILEVO
Rich sounds like an intake leak post-MAF sensor. It is metering X amount of air, but only Y is getting into the engine. Over fueling.

Port injector code is only there because the car is assuming something is wrong with the injectors because it's overfueling

Hi, thank you for reply.
So the shaking of the car and rev arrow is due to this too? This makes sense. Can you confirm you have seen the video attached?

Old 04-28-20, 01:25 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

So start cheap and work your way expensive. As mentioned above since it's a common thing to both sides, it points to a common issue. I'd suspect the maf, especially with a k and n filter. I'd replace the filter with a oem air filter, then try to cleaning the intake tubing and the maf. If this doesn't work I'd start considering the more expensive items, MAF etc.

That's a good amount of build up in the intake, I'd be worried what the MAF sensor look like. Give it a shot cleaning it with electronic cleaner and see if you can find the method for testing it.

In a naturally aspirated engine you'll never be under positive pressure, always negative to zero, this sucks air in, if this air is being sucked in after the maf it's unmetered air and would result in a lean condition.

In boosted applications you can be under positive pressure and negative pressure, if you have a leak after the maf then air would be sucked in during idle and off boost resulting in a lean condition, but under boost metered air would be pushed out of the tubing resulting in a rich condition.

Might be worth messaging this member in this thread as well as it sounds similar.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...alled-out.html
Old 04-28-20, 01:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,044 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by LILEVO

Originally Posted by McPierson
Maybe I’m missing something, but an intake leak causes a lean condition.
The engine has a wideband O2, so neither of these things apply unless you're more than 20% off with fueling which would likely be an audible leak.

If it were mine, I'd clean the MAF first and run some injector cleaner like BG44K. You can clean the intake tube with anything you like, it won't be a big deal since that tube follows the MAF and the MAF is a primary source for tune information.
ernisill (04-29-20)
Old 04-28-20, 02:52 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The engine has a wideband O2, so neither of these things apply unless you're more than 20% off with fueling which would likely be an audible leak.

If it were mine, I'd clean the MAF first and run some injector cleaner like BG44K. You can clean the intake tube with anything you like, it won't be a big deal since that tube follows the MAF and the MAF is a primary source for tune information.
Lance, do you think the K&N filter could be the culprit or is that all wives tale stuff?

Quick Reply: Purchased ISF two weeks ago and this happened