IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Obd2 codes P1363 and P1365

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 09:26 AM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Obd2 codes P1363 and P1365

As the titles says, it came out 2 days ago while im driving, try to erase the code but it came out again. I google it came out its the camshaft position actuator sensor circuit open, high bank 2. Anybody here experience the same prpblem. Any inputs from the gurus. Will appreciate it.
Old 05-11-20, 08:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,957 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Sent docs. Hope it helps.
The following users liked this post:
ljdsong (05-13-20)
Old 12-07-22, 02:42 AM
asrc350fs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sent docs. Hope it helps.
Do you have the solution for this? This code popped up on my 2015 Lexus RCF
javrabbit (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 05:46 AM
javrabbit
Pit Crew

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by asrc350fs
Do you have the solution for this? This code popped up on my 2015 Lexus RCF
Hoping someone has also figured this out because I have been trying to figure this out for over a year now with the dealership and have lost hope. My car misfires in park when those codes come up. Also a GS F i know has the same codes pop up. So far dealership has changed an “actuator” of some sort, maybe the cam motor(cant remember) and vvti relay. The GS F has also replaced the Cam timing control with EDU twice and it didn't fix it for him. One tech thought maybe my ecu is going bad so I just replaced my ecu yesterday with a brand new one and didnt fix anything. Im also a 2015 RC F with 111000 miles.
Old 12-07-22, 07:25 AM
asrc350fs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by javrabbit
Hoping someone has also figured this out because I have been trying to figure this out for over a year now with the dealership and have lost hope. My car misfires in park when those codes come up. Also a GS F i know has the same codes pop up. So far dealership has changed an “actuator” of some sort, maybe the cam motor(cant remember) and vvti relay. The GS F has also replaced the Cam timing control with EDU twice and it didn't fix it for him. One tech thought maybe my ecu is going bad so I just replaced my ecu yesterday with a brand new one and didnt fix anything. Im also a 2015 RC F with 111000 miles.
Is there any mechanical sounds or signs that there’s something wrong? Or does the car seem to run fine? That’s the case with mine. My RCF is coming on 99k miles
Old 12-07-22, 07:51 AM
javrabbit
Pit Crew

In the beginning it just used to be P1365 for “C”. Over time it started throwing codes for “B” and and “E”.
If its just “C” thats being thrown it drives pretty normal for me. If “B” and/or “E” gets thrown, i have rough idle when in drive that you can feel. Rpm needle gets pretty shaky and loss of power if trying to accelerate. Also the induction noise gets extremely loud and sounds weird. The GS F owner also has no drivability issues at the moment. Maybe over time it just gets worse (been over a year for me). The bank that has the error on it also has a really negative short term fuel trim. Havent found a reproducible scenario that will trigger the light so far. Its extremely random for me. I feel like the only thing left for me to try would be wiring harness but lexus already quoted me 10k for the two harnesses not including labor.

Last edited by javrabbit; 12-07-22 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-07-22, 07:55 AM
asrc350fs
Driver School Candidate

If its just “C” thats being thrown it drives pretty normal for me. If “B” and/or “E” gets thrown, i have rough idle when in drive that you can feel. Rpm needle gets pretty shaky and loss of power if trying to accelerate. Also the induction noise gets extremely loud and sounds weird. The bank that has the error on it also has a really negative short term fuel trim. Havent found a reproducible scenario that will trigger the light so far. Its extremely random for me. I feel like the only thing left for me to try would be wiring harness but lexus already quoted me 10k for the two harnesses not including labor.
It sounds like they’re just going down the Diag Tree. I’m guessing they checked relays already as well. There’s a document somewhere online about this code from the LS forums.

Diag Tree says:
1) check relays
2) replace cam motor
3) replace ecu
4) replace harnesses
Old 12-07-22, 08:00 AM
javrabbit
Pit Crew

It sounds like they’re just going down the Diag Tree. I’m guessing they checked relays already as well. There’s a document somewhere online about this code from the LS forums.

Diag Tree says:
1) check relays
2) replace cam motor
3) replace ecu
4) replace harnesses
yup, they’ve done the first 3 items already.
Old 12-07-22, 11:27 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Bet it's a bad pin in a connector. I had that problem on my Supra a while back and it was a real PITA to troubleshoot. The fix was stupid easy - just bend the little petal inside the female portion of the connection. Link to SF post here: https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...#post-14005246

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-07-22 at 11:36 AM.
javrabbit (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 02:54 PM
asrc350fs
Driver School Candidate

Bet it's a bad pin in a connector. I had that problem on my Supra a while back and it was a real PITA to troubleshoot. The fix was stupid easy - just bend the little petal inside the female portion of the connection. Link to SF post here: https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...#post-14005246
The connectors and relays were checked already. Also checked the resistance on them. I’ve also replaced the sensors themselves
Old 12-08-22, 07:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

How were they checked? That's the issue. I checked all the connectors and components in my Supra over an 18 month period and could not find fault with anything. The only way I found it was by removing the cover from the ECM and checking from the pin inside the ECM. Everything ohmed out just fine. BTW, more than 40 years electronic systems maintenance and repair here and it took me a long time to find the root cause.
Old 12-08-22, 08:21 AM
asrc350fs
Driver School Candidate

How were they checked? That's the issue. I checked all the connectors and components in my Supra over an 18 month period and could not find fault with anything. The only way I found it was by removing the cover from the ECM and checking from the pin inside the ECM. Everything ohmed out just fine. BTW, more than 40 years electronic systems maintenance and repair here and it took me a long time to find the root cause.
The sensors (which had the male pins) were removed and replaced. The other side of the connections (female pins) were checked with a multimeter

Is there another connection that should be checked specifically?
Old 12-08-22, 12:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The sensors (which had the male pins) were removed and replaced. The other side of the connections (female pins) were checked with a multimeter

Is there another connection that should be checked specifically?
How do you know the female portion of the pin is actually contacting the male portion? That's where I had the problem, and I'd bet that's where your problem is too. I had a friend who was a service manager at both Toyota and Lexus who told me of similar vexing problems that would crop up only rarely. Lexus/Toyota put a lot of effort into building very reliable wiring harnesses, but they occasionally get bad parts, or the component parts will mysteriously fail over time. Lexus will always want you to buy a new harness to fix this, but any decent electronics tech should be able to remove the relevant pin(s), tweak the petal, and test.

I would focus on the ECM side since those pins are smaller and more fragile. If I were troubleshooting this, I'd take the cover off the ECM, and probe across the connection shown in this diagram as EMF2*2. Keep in mind, I had two completely different ECMs, two different TPS units, and two different pressure sensors when I was troubleshooting my Supra. I put them all in the freezer to get them cold. I tried everything I could think of until I tried opening the ECM and found voltage on one side and not on the other.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-08-22 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-23-22, 04:36 PM
asrc350fs
Driver School Candidate

yup, they’ve done the first 3 items already.
FYI - I had the camshaft motor replaced and the issue has not popped up again
Old 12-23-22, 06:16 PM
javrabbit
Pit Crew

FYI - I had the camshaft motor replaced and the issue has not popped up again
thanks for coming back and updating us with your fix. Maybe i’ll have to go and get that part replaced again. Had another shop run tests and said my pins and connectors all looked good. They want to try replacing the motor again after lexus supposedly already did as well. If it works out for me, i’ll come back and update the thread as well

Quick Reply: Obd2 codes P1363 and P1365