IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

TPMS Not Reading My Summer/OEM Tires After Putting Them Back

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 04:39 AM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The initialization is just to register current PSI of each tire of what you think is "good"
Old 06-01-20, 10:44 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,018 Likes on 2,434 Posts

To clarify some misconceptions:

1. There is no auto-registration of any TPMS sensor on any Lexus vehicle. This must be programmed into the ECM using a tool (yes, Techstream does this, but there are others found at tire shops that work OK)
2. It is common for those servicing the 2IS to not realize there are two settings for two sets of wheels in the ECM, so they erase the existing registration and register the new sensors in their place. AMHIK.
3. Switching from Main to 2nd does not instantly turn off the light. I just did this on Saturday when I put my PS4S back on for the summer, and of course I drove off completely forgetting to change back to Main. Just before I arrived at my destination, I got the warning light for TPMS, switched over to Main from 2nd, and the light went off after I drove the car about 100 feet. The sensors need to transmit for the DTC to clear.
4. As Joe said, there is no TPMS sensor in the spare. You will never get any warning about your spare tire being low in the trunk or in service, but you will get a TPMS error when you actually run the spare guaranteed.
5. The initialization allows for a quick determination of low pressure. Failing to do this means you will need to drop at least 6 psi before you get an error indication.
6. The sensors (as Joe said) have a sleep mode to conserve the batteries. All they have is a CR2032 welded into the device (yes, I thought about trying to replace them, and gave up as soon as I cracked open the unit) and they are expected to last 10 years. My experience says this is pretty accurate.
7. Only a glutton for punishment would dismount the tire to read the transmitter ID code. The sensor transmits its code under duress - rapid PSI drop of more than 6 psi and the sensor will transmit its code. I have seen this done, and it's what tire shops do typically if they have anyone properly trained on TPMS.
8. Number 2 above - the more recent Lexus vehicles DO NOT have the ability to register two sets of TPMS, but they do have the ability to display current pressure on the dash. It is possible to read pressure and temperature from the sensors in our wheels, but Lexus chose not to display this data on the dash or on any onboard maintenance screens. Maybe they had to decide between two sets of sensors or having a display mode? I don't know. I do know the GS F only allows one set of sensors active in the ECM, and I have seen this with Techstream. Also, Techstream will display current pressure and temperature for any Lexus, so it may very well be possible to see this through an OBD monitor (or not). I do not have an OBD monitor other than Techstream datalogging, and that works pretty much flawlessly as one might imagine. It's just cumbersome to have the laptop in the car without some way of securing it. My Mongoose OBD cable is BT enabled, so I don't have to have a wire, just the laptop and the dongle.
The following 3 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
ChpEng (06-01-20), imp0rted1 (06-02-20), ToYourGSE (06-03-20)
Old 06-08-20, 01:17 PM
NMatejik
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Skip the dealer

Skip the dealer and code them yourself. Get a TPM quickset tool. Its about $150 from tirerack and works great. I do summer and winter tire and wheel changes myself every winter and spring. Once the tool is programmed from your laptop with the proper codes, takes 1 min to plug into your OBD 2 port and press one button. Tool was same price that my dealer was going to charge, so I would rather do myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by NMatejik:
ChpEng (06-08-20), lobuxracer (06-08-20)
Old 06-08-20, 01:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

That's pretty easy right there, and super affordable if you want to DIY.
Old 06-08-20, 07:04 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's pretty easy right there, and super affordable if you want to DIY.
Right, but I guess you'll keep swapping back & fourth using "MAIN".

Likely hood of this tool working with adding in a 2nd set of 4 TPMS sensors is null.

It's true MOST cars only allow one set of sensors at a time, which then makes this a perfect DIY tool.

Joe Z
Old 06-08-20, 10:33 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 272 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Likely hood of this tool working with adding in a 2nd set of 4 TPMS sensors is null.

It's true MOST cars only allow one set of sensors at a time, which then makes this a perfect DIY tool.

Joe Z
...and there is still the challenge of sniffing the TPMS sensor ID's if the tires are already mounted, right? The ATEQ VT36 (>$200) or VT56 (>$800) are required to interrogate the sensor signals.

Seems like this tool is best for those who
a) have two sets of wheels,
b) already know their sensor ID's, and
c) don't mind resetting the ID's under "MAIN" at each wheel swap.

Are the sensor ID's *always* inscribed on the sensor bodies themselves?
If so, then one could just photograph each set at next tire purchase, which takes care of condition b) above..

https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/detail...D=2115&ID=2115
https://www.ateq-tpms.com/en-us/prod...ms-reset-tool/
Old 06-09-20, 06:34 AM
NMatejik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Joe Z
Joe Z you are correct, it does not code to the second wheel setting, it codes to the main.
Old 06-09-20, 06:43 AM
NMatejik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ChpEng
...and there is still the challenge of sniffing the TPMS sensor ID's if the tires are already mounted, right? The ATEQ VT36 (>$200) or VT56 (>$800) are required to interrogate the sensor signals.

If so, then one could just photograph each set at next tire purchase, which takes care of condition b) above..

Yes I agree this tool is designed for people with two sets of wheels, tires, and sensors. But why would you need to program a second set of sensors if you did not have a second set of wheels?

During your first use of the tool it walks you through how to "read" the current sensor codes programmed to your car. You then hook the tool up to your computer and it uploads it to the software. Then you do need to know the new codes you want to program, whoever you boight the TPMS from shold have provided you that, tirerack gave me a card with all 4 codes on them. You just punch it into the software, then connect the tool to the computer to download. Its a very basic tool that is super simple to use.

Joe Z hit the nail on the head, it will always be programmed under main, this has never bothered me.
Old 06-09-20, 04:00 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ChpEng

Discount tire will do a re-set of the main sensors for free for those who want to do that.
They cannot set the 2nd set, but I use techstream for that and its very easy to do.

Yes the tpms sensors have the ID's on each sensor.
The following users liked this post:
ChpEng (06-09-20)
Old 06-09-20, 09:14 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

do our cars use the PMV-107J toyota/lexus sensors? I bought the wrong set previously so I just want to make sure I am not going to do this again...
Old 06-09-20, 09:55 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 272 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by NMatejik
Yes I agree this tool is designed for people with two sets of wheels, tires, and sensors. But why would you need to program a second set of sensors if you did not have a second set of wheels?

During your first use of the tool it walks you through how to "read" the current sensor codes programmed to your car. You then hook the tool up to your computer and it uploads it to the software. Then you do need to know the new codes you want to program, whoever you boight the TPMS from shold have provided you that, tirerack gave me a card with all 4 codes on them. You just punch it into the software, then connect the tool to the computer to download. Its a very basic tool that is super simple to use.

Joe Z hit the nail on the head, it will always be programmed under main, this has never bothered me.
Okay, I get it now. I have two sets of wheels/tires/sensors and was vapor-locked on how to get the ID's off the sensors for the current set, which is what I would need to swap wheels back myself later w/o paying a tire shop for the privilege. The Ateq OBD3-0000 tool shows the current ID's, so problem solved.

One of my sets of tires is completely done, the other has ~30% left. So it would more sense to have the tire shop pull all 8x tires at next tire refresh so I can photograph the ID's on each sensor. It is always nice to have options.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by ChpEng; 06-09-20 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-22-21, 12:54 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Can someone clarify how to wake the sensors up? does rapid deflation mean I need to remove the valve stem?

I just purchased a set of new Denso 550-0103 TPMS units and cannot get them to show a PSI in the techstream data list, C2162 is present and will not clear. The ID's were input with techstream and they do appear in the data list. The initialization button does nothing because no sensors are communicating. I am using an old version of techstream (v10) if that has anything to do with it

I've set the pressure to 32-35psi, released air for 5,10,15,20,30seconds refilling between attempts, dropped the psi to below 20, I've rotated the wheel 180deg and let air out, I've reprogrammed the ID's several times.

Of note, the sensor PN is PMV-C11A, it is the same as Lexus PN 42607-33022. Sensor PN PMV-107J is the same as the replaced Lexus PN 42607-33021
Old 10-22-21, 10:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

It's easiest if you unscrew the valve stem but leave it in the hole while letting the air out. You need a 6 psi drop as fast as you can.
Old 10-23-21, 02:26 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Well, no luck with pulling the stems, tried on all 4 sensors. tried letting one all the way out. nothing. Guess I'll swing by discount and see if they have a tool to tell if they are active
Old 10-23-21, 02:30 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 93MSB
Well, no luck with pulling the stems, tried on all 4 sensors. tried letting one all the way out. nothing. Guess I'll swing by discount and see if they have a tool to tell if they are active
Did you input the correct sensor ID numbers into tech stream? I had mistyped one of mine before and had to take the tpms out to check the ID code again.

Quick Reply: TPMS Not Reading My Summer/OEM Tires After Putting Them Back