IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Mods on the IS F

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 01:34 PM
NSX7
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mods on the IS F

Would you say that modifying the IS F negatively affects resale value? Let's say only headers - then headers intake and exhaust - and finally all this plus a supercharger

Need input from those who had any or all of these mods on their cars, and if affected their resale values vs stock

Thanks
Old 05-30-20, 01:43 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

A general rule of thumb is an OEM rare car will carry more value than a modified one. If your worried about resale and want to mod, keep your oem parts and return it to stock when selling.
Old 05-30-20, 02:12 PM
NSX7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
A general rule of thumb is an OEM rare car will carry more value than a modified one. If your worried about resale and want to mod, keep your oem parts and return it to stock when selling.
That makes sense, but just reading through this forum, there is a potential issue with the manifolds, so in that case, wouldn't headers help with the resale? or are there also some negative aspects that come with headers?
Old 05-30-20, 04:21 PM
Grosen84
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NSX7
That makes sense, but just reading through this forum, there is a potential issue with the manifolds, so in that case, wouldn't headers help with the resale? or are there also some negative aspects that come with headers?
Headers will fail visual in California if the tech looks for them. For me, upgrades and mods are two different things. RCF lca bushings, lsd and 12+ suspension (or maybe nice coilovers) would be wise, value-adding upgrades to an early F. A car with rewelded manifold and preemptively fixed valley plate shows an owner who understands what makes this car fantastic and what trouble areas there may be. FBO with a tune and budget coils tell me I'm buying someone else's race car.
Old 05-31-20, 12:44 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Would you say that modifying the IS F negatively affects resale value? Let's say only headers - then headers intake and exhaust - and finally all this plus a supercharger

Need input from those who had any or all of these mods on their cars, and if affected their resale values vs stock

Thanks
To answer your question modifying any car know matter what it is from Toyota Corolla to ISF will effect its resale value, especially if trading your car into dealership. You have more wiggle room with pvt sale. But you will never get back what you put into it. I advise people if your only planning to hold on to car for few yrs don't bother. If you plan on hold on to that car,for many many years then you get your moneys worth in enjoyment. Dealership don't care if you have 20k in mods and car is flawless. They dealership only pays wholesale for new cars same goes for trade-in vehicle. Any trade in price would be consider similar to vehicle from car purchased from dealer auction They may remove the mods or actually sell the car with mods for much higher price that they paid you. That's just how it goes.

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Any OEM car will carry higher wholesale price over modified one.

Every car that I have ever owned has been received upgrade parts to some degree, but like Jwconeil stated, I kept every nut bolt washer exhaust etc. I would bag and tag every part as well as take pictures so I new exactly how they were installed by factory. When it was time to sell the car it was put back to stock.I would then part out all aftermarket parts.

Originally Posted by Grosen84
Headers will fail visual in California if the tech looks for them. For me, upgrades and mods are two different things. RCF lca bushings, lsd and 12+ suspension (or maybe nice coilovers) would be wise, value-adding upgrades to an early F. A car with rewelded manifold and preemptively fixed valley plate shows an owner who understands what makes this car fantastic and what trouble areas there may be. FBO with a tune and budget coils tell me I'm buying someone else's race car.
Dont judge book by its cover, I now people that are into car show scene have added quality performance parts to their ISF and baby them. While I have other friends that just added figs or RR Racing LCA, slap on set R888R or NTO1 etc and track the heck out of there ISF.

You want to look at that ISF carfax, how many owners has car gone through, what's age of current owner, make sure they have excellent service records look at tires for unusual tire wire, look at rotors for glazing cracks, look at back wheel wells see if there is any caked with old burnt rubber, look at camber, look at white lettering on Brembo brake calipers. IF they are gold color that car could be tale tale sign of car that's been tracked or run extremely hard even though its completely stock.

I brought my brand new 2011 USB ISF #8217 in November 2010. It had . Add PPE Headers installed for 9yrs NO cracks or issues of any kind JoeZ exhaust same thing flawlessly, RR Racing Tune and Tuned Intake and their LCA, Figs Engineering suspension components I have both KWv3 coilovers and Airlift3H suspension that are currently on car now. With two different sets of tires and rims one set of summer tires on OEM rims and second set of winter rims with Blizzak Ws6 snow and ice tires. These components were added to enhance ISF capeabilities. Oh I do have some aesthetic components front C/F front spoiler rear diffuser and rear trunk spoiler. Every OEM part has been labeled and stored away. IMO 8ft long rear wing, bolt on widebody kit, 20in rims, heat soak intake elbow, axleback exhaust, horrible popcorn tune, etc these are mods.

Since OP is in Ontario Canada he needs to know what the local rules are in regards to inspecting vehicles not all locations States or Countries do visual inspections. In my state just minor visual inspections is performed just lights, turn signals, Wheels, brake pads, rotors, broken windshield, no lights o. Dash, tint etc.

Even though my ISF is FBO RRRACING Tune and Tuned intake LCA Figs engineering suspension compents, KWv3 and Airlift3H suspension as well as other parts doesn't make it any less desirable especially since I have all OEM parts and my car has never been abused. So if you come across similar ISF it would differently be car worth looking into if it were one owner car that you could verify its history and speak to owner. Just be cause are looks stock doesn't mean it wasn't abused. Good luck with your search.

My FBO Tuned upgrade Suspension 2011 ISF.

The following users liked this post:
WhyHateTho (05-31-20)
Old 05-31-20, 09:48 AM
NSX7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Weapon F
To answer your question modifying any car know matter what it is from Toyota Corolla to ISF will effect its resale value, especially if trading your car into dealership. You have more wiggle room with pvt sale. But you will never get back what you put into it. I advise people if your only planning to hold on to car for few yrs don't bother. If you plan on hold on to that car,for many many years then you get your moneys worth in enjoyment. Dealership don't care if you have 20k in mods and car is flawless. They dealership only pays wholesale for new cars same goes for trade-in vehicle. Any trade in price would be consider similar to vehicle from car purchased from dealer auction They may remove the mods or actually sell the car with mods for much higher price that they paid you. That's just how it goes.

Any OEM car will carry higher wholesale price over modified one.

Every car that I have ever owned has been received upgrade parts to some degree, but like Jwconeil stated, I kept every nut bolt washer exhaust etc. I would bag and tag every part as well as take pictures so I new exactly how they were installed by factory. When it was time to sell the car it was put back to stock.I would then part out all aftermarket parts.

Dont judge book by its cover, I now people that are into car show scene have added quality performance parts to their ISF and baby them. While I have other friends that just added figs or RR Racing LCA, slap on set R888R or NTO1 etc and track the heck out of there ISF.

You want to look at that ISF carfax, how many owners has car gone through, what's age of current owner, make sure they have excellent service records look at tires for unusual tire wire, look at rotors for glazing cracks, look at back wheel wells see if there is any caked with old burnt rubber, look at camber, look at white lettering on Brembo brake calipers. IF they are gold color that car could be tale tale sign of car that's been tracked or run extremely hard even though its completely stock.

I brought my brand new 2011 USB ISF #8217 in November 2010. It had . Add PPE Headers installed for 9yrs NO cracks or issues of any kind JoeZ exhaust same thing flawlessly, RR Racing Tune and Tuned Intake and their LCA, Figs Engineering suspension components I have both KWv3 coilovers and Airlift3H suspension that are currently on car now. With two different sets of tires and rims one set of summer tires on OEM rims and second set of winter rims with Blizzak Ws6 snow and ice tires. These components were added to enhance ISF capeabilities. Oh I do have some aesthetic components front C/F front spoiler rear diffuser and rear trunk spoiler. Every OEM part has been labeled and stored away. IMO 8ft long rear wing, bolt on widebody kit, 20in rims, heat soak intake elbow, axleback exhaust, horrible popcorn tune, etc these are mods.

Since OP is in Ontario Canada he needs to know what the local rules are in regards to inspecting vehicles not all locations States or Countries do visual inspections. In my state just minor visual inspections is performed just lights, turn signals, Wheels, brake pads, rotors, broken windshield, no lights o. Dash, tint etc.

Even though my ISF is FBO RRRACING Tune and Tuned intake LCA Figs engineering suspension compents, KWv3 and Airlift3H suspension as well as other parts doesn't make it any less desirable especially since I have all OEM parts and my car has never been abused. So if you come across similar ISF it would differently be car worth looking into if it were one owner car that you could verify its history and speak to owner. Just be cause are looks stock doesn't mean it wasn't abused. Good luck with your search.

My FBO Tuned upgrade Suspension 2011 ISF.

wow - that's a lot of upgrades - any regrets upgrading the car this way vs stock?
Old 05-31-20, 10:34 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

I can't speak for resale value as it has been stated above what to expect as far as that goes, but going back to stock after being FBO for so many years would be unthinkable for me as the car drives so much better and is completely different in the acceleration department from stock.

If I ever sold my car it would go exactly how it's modded. I've never been the type to revert my cars back to stock before selling them as most of my sales have been private party and the purchaser has been fully aware and educated on what the mods are and how they benefit the platform they are buying.

I think most people who buy ISF's whether new or used end up keeping the cars for a considerable length of time after they realize how special and rare they are and come to the realization that there are few cars out there that fit what the ISF brings to the table currently.
The following 2 users liked this post by MileHIFcar:
ALexusF (06-02-20), Weapon F (06-01-20)
Old 05-31-20, 11:27 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 695 Likes on 611 Posts

I'd only do mods that can be taken back off without knowing it was ever on. Headers, exhaust, lip kits, etc.

Headers are a game changer, let us know if you'd like pricing on PPEs.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-31-20, 01:02 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
I'd only do mods that can be taken back off without knowing it was ever on. Headers, exhaust, lip kits, etc.

-Josh
This is why I slowed down on the carbon roof. It’s still not completely off the table, but by that point, it’s a permanent race car.
Old 06-01-20, 08:56 AM
NSX7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks

-Josh
OK - thank you
Old 06-01-20, 09:00 AM
NSX7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I think most people who buy ISF's whether new or used end up keeping the cars for a considerable length of time after they realize how special and rare they are and come to the realization that there are few cars out there that fit what the ISF brings to the table currently.
I am actually wondering why people feel this way about the IS F - I have read and heard that statement before. I mean the RC F is newer and has more power and technology - same thing on the GS F plus more room in the back seat - wondering why people feel that way about the IS F?
Old 06-01-20, 10:57 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,435 Posts

Sit in an RC F. If you're 6' 2" like me, your head will be scraping the headliner unless it's a carbon model. The RC F isn't particularly utilitarian, so having it as a primary vehicle means you are unlikely to have it as your only ride. The price point isn't aimed at the young and single crowd, most of the folks spending RC F money have wives and families. The 2+2 configuration means there are a limited number of folks seriously considering one for anything more than something fun to play with.

I currently own (both since new) an '08 IS F and a '16 GS F. I have posted a number of times answering the question, "Which would you choose" from the perspective of someone who owns and drives both back to back. NSX7, you are on that thread as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...f-to-gs-f.html

And this post is STILL dead accurate from my perspective: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9794641
Old 06-01-20, 12:55 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

Thanks
This is a difficult question because it entirely relies on the type of car. The ISF is rare enough that people want a fresh slate that has been owned by an older gentleman who never drove it above 70, yet many have been modified by now.

Doing your research on the aftermarket parts and their benefits/prices/reliability can show if the owner treated the car well or dogged it every chance they got. That being said, the ISF can handle being dogged out every chance it gets. A biggie for me is the type of tires the owner runs. If they are off brand, clearly they were pinching pennies, and may have done so elsewhere on the car. but if the parts on the car are something like PPE Headers, Greddy titanium catback, Novel parts, etc. They could very well carry a premium and the right buyer familiar with it will pay that premium.

The car will be easiest to sell and buy stock. But if you familiarize yourself with what mods people do, you may be able to find a nice deal with great parts.

Also do keep in mind just because a car looks stock does not mean that it was never modified. On my previous 08 I had coilovers, wheels, painted brembos, lip kits and diffuser, tune, intake, LCA bushings, Vland tails, and custom made headlights on my 08. When I sold it, the only thing it had modified was the tune and a roof wrap, even freshly repainted the front and rear bumpers. I even had my calipers swapped to somebody who had original black ones and wanted my yellow ones. Buyer knew all this too and promptly installed his own headers and dual mode PPE exhaust and even built his own headlights.

Regarding ISF vs RCF/GSF. The cars have proven reliable even at 10 years/100k miles old. The ISF competed well vs it’s competition new, and with minor mods competes even the newer generation such as the Scat Pack/M3/SS etc. RCF/GSF look quicker than they are and aren’t really that faster and in some ways feel less sporty, though much nicer cars all around and for a higher price you would expect that. ISF is a hidden gem.

TLDR: mods can carry a premium, but most buyers will be unfamiliar and thus not pay that premium.

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 06-01-20 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 01:13 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Every driver is different, u have to drive the car to know what u like and dislike if modded. Most people would prefer stock so they can build to what they want I can tell you that, ISF is raw and nimble =athletic of all the F line up
Old 06-03-20, 01:42 PM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

If passing smog is important, be careful of "headers". A pet peeve of mine with the F aftermarket is when "installing headers" is mentioned for the IS F, it's not just headers- you are removing the primary cat also which is the majority of the freed up horsepower around stock levels which is also why you need a tune to remove the second O2 input. If I was to install headers wanted to still have a chance to pass visual smog, I would relocate the primary cat to the start of the midpipe section. And the zinger is after $k's, with the primary cats in, you will only gain a few hp at most. The cats are the main restriction.

Some folks love to bash the F headers but I suspect the truth is those cats needed to be right where they are. IMHO those headers are masterpieces of compromise. Mr. Yaguchi is no rookie and no company wants to spend money on things like that unless it is necessary to meet the overall goal of the car.

Quick Reply: Mods on the IS F