IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone start with a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-20 | 01:20 PM
Grosen84
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
Not always. I noticed about the same difference adding my tune as I did adding my Borla on my 08 F, Yet one was $700 and the other was $1200+install. RR tune allows you to bump up the RPM limit from 6800 to 7200, they also offered 7400 before. Smooths out the power curve.
Easy way to tell is roll racing local F's 30-100, 50-80, or timing with Dragy 60-130. With a catback I could pull on a stock F by about a car length or so. With both F's having Borla catbacks and then adding a tune I could put a car on the other F with only Borla. Can't imagine why losing secondary cats would cause issues in CA, no CEL pops up for it as it would with the primaries. If you want to be legal and not fail visual inspection at all, then save weight somewhere and get a tune. Won't be much power, but will be smoother and possibly bump you 5-15whp. Could get away with gutting both sets of stock cats also and tune would delete the CEL but it would smell and be a touch louder.

The only things you could really use the warranty for on the F are the stock manifold cracking and the valley plate leak. I bought my 08 and tacked on a $2700 bumper to bumper warranty. It expired after 60k/2 years and I only used it on a headlight that was a slight condensation, honestly a $250 repair out of pocket. Valley plate leak Lexus corporate covered nearly 85% of the cost for me out of warranty.
Removing the secondary cats would fail visual in CA. I've got the warranty at this point, no reason to void it. The car is still stupid fast for the street and I'm not going to the track on the regular, I've just never been the kind of person who can leave my toys well enough alone
Old 06-18-20 | 01:44 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Grosen84
Removing the secondary cats would fail visual in CA. I've got the warranty at this point, no reason to void it. The car is still stupid fast for the street and I'm not going to the track on the regular, I've just never been the kind of person who can leave my toys well enough alone
Not sure how it goes there but in MD you either find someone to do the visual inspection under the table, or replace it before every inspection. Can’t really believe that you would be the first to get a catback in CA?
Old 06-18-20 | 01:46 PM
Grosen84
Rookie

Not sure how it goes there but in MD you either find someone to do the visual inspection under the table, or replace it before every inspection. Can’t really believe that you would be the first to get a catback in CA?
Definitely not, I just don't want to be in that game. I've owned 7 Foxbody mustang's, the lexus is supposed to be my sensible fun car

Actually, if I can score a stock midpipe easily and gut it, that might be the most impactful route with the tune. The primary cats should still eliminate most of the odor and not be obviously modified if some looked under.
Old 06-18-20 | 03:12 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

This has been a point of contention. In California a CAT-back exhaust is legal as long as it remains under 95 decibels, as the name implies this is an exhaust that only replaces pipes behind the cat. However, the majority of exhausts for the ISF for some reason call themselves cat-back but they technically are not as they replace the secondary cats.

Now while technically in California I believe cat-back exhausts are legal, this doesn't mean that the smog station you go to won't fail you to send you to a the ref just because they're not sure.
Old 06-18-20 | 03:14 PM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Grosen84
Definitely not, I just don't want to be in that game. I've owned 7 Foxbody mustang's, the lexus is supposed to be my sensible fun car

Actually, if I can score a stock midpipe easily and gut it, that might be the most impactful route with the tune. The primary cats should still eliminate most of the odor and not be obviously modified if some looked under.
Hah! I had 3 fox bodies. Gutting the cats was an easy noticeable HP boost but boy did the cars stink. Removing the primary cats on these F's really wakes them up to the tune of about 40hp. The problem with doing the fox body mid-pipe shuffle is that on these cars the primary cats are part of the header, they aren't on the mid-pipe. The secondaries are for sure. They are probably worth some HP as well. I would bet removing all four cats and getting a tune would be worth slightly over 50hp on an otherwise stock F.

As someone who loves V8's, you have to love this 2UR-GSE engine and AA80E trans. Easily the best V8 powertrain I've every driven. It's my daily as well.
Old 06-18-20 | 03:20 PM
Grosen84
Rookie

Originally Posted by AlOtaBblGm
Hah! I had 3 fox bodies. Gutting the cats was an easy noticeable HP boost but boy did the cars stink. Removing the primary cats on these F's really wakes them up to the tune of about 40hp. The problem with doing the fox body mid-pipe shuffle is that on these cars the primary cats are part of the header, they aren't on the mid-pipe. The secondaries are for sure. They are probably worth some HP as well. I would bet removing all four cats and getting a tune would be worth slightly over 50hp on an otherwise stock F.

As someone who loves V8's, you have to love this 2UR-GSE engine and AA80E trans. Easily the best V8 powertrain I've every driven. It's my daily as well.
Yes, cat back is a definite misnomer, and this is the first car class that I've ever seen that does so. The problem for me is the amount of work to replace the headers if I'm not happy is exponentially greater than doing the midpipe, and per rr racing, the catless headers won't trip a cel but will leave the catalyst in "not ready" state, which is still likely to fail an obd test. Gutted midpipe and quiet aftermarket mufflers will probably get close to "catback" hp while looking unmodified for smog.
Old 06-19-20 | 05:00 AM
Jwconeil

Just an FYI, My cat less headers gave me a check engine light. The tune fixed it.
Old 06-19-20 | 08:59 AM
Grosen84
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Just an FYI, My cat less headers gave me a check engine light. The tune fixed it.
I'd delete the secondary cats, not the header cats.