Compiled Coilover Information

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 04:00 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Nice list...!!!

Yes the D2 Racing did the job way back then.. My purpose was only dialing in the ride height when I was running the aftermarket Five Axis wheels.. Love those guys!!

I literally drove those coils to the ground many years / many miles later and blew a seal on the front right.. They made the easily replaceable new cores, but at that point I would be refreshing all 4.. I think they are still sitting in my garage stored..

I do a lot of straight freeway driving, so for a short while the OEM 08' suspension went back on...

While working with Mod in Japan, they set me up with a set of CKS Coilovers which I needed once I planned to put on the 12' wheels..

Definitely add that to your list and figure out your true needs..!! Or look up my posts about them.

Joe Z
The following users liked this post:
PJSnow (06-29-20)
Old 06-28-20, 04:23 PM
Beans12
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Great thread. Thanks for putting this together. While I don't for-see me changing anything suspension related, aside from the LCA piece that seems to be a weak point, it's always interesting to see which direction these conversations go. Suspension is always such a loaded topic (pun intended) with the desire for more low coming at the expense of ride quality. Coming from the FWD Honda world the options are endless yet so many of the available choices offer terrible ride quality, mostly due to the spring and damper not being properly paired. Curious how that optic translates in the RWD V8 world. Here to learn mostly.

After having a few weeks of seat time in my 2012 I can't honestly say that I would have a very hard time exceeding the stock suspension's capabilities on the street. Hoping to hit up the local track later this month to get a baseline and perhaps that will show some weak spots.
Old 06-29-20, 01:42 AM
Slowlane
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
How do you mean worse? Did it go slower on a timed course, or did you have more issues with keeping it pointed in the intended direction of travel?

There's a calculator for figuring out lots of this stuff, but you have a lot of homework to do before you can fill in the numbers.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets16.html

The entire site is well worth the time it takes to cover each of the sections. Once you've read through it all, there are practical takeaways you can use to find a setup that works best for you. You'll need to invest some time to get the most from it, but that's true no matter how you find your path.

Also - Bill Mitchell's suspension analysis software is no longer available. These guys seem to have a pretty decent tool at a very reasonable price: http://www.auto-ware.com/software/asgp/asgp.htm

Lotus offers excellent suspension tuning software packages, but they're not priced for the hobbyist, they're priced for supported race teams.
Excellent thanks for your help.
Car was handling worse at the limit, it was quite a few years ago now so my memory isnt too clear on details.
Old 06-29-20, 08:19 AM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Nice list...!!!

Yes the D2 Racing did the job way back then.. My purpose was only dialing in the ride height when I was running the aftermarket Five Axis wheels.. Love those guys!!

I literally drove those coils to the ground many years / many miles later and blew a seal on the front right.. They made the easily replaceable new cores, but at that point I would be refreshing all 4.. I think they are still sitting in my garage stored..

I do a lot of straight freeway driving, so for a short while the OEM 08' suspension went back on...

While working with Mod in Japan, they set me up with a set of CKS Coilovers which I needed once I planned to put on the 12' wheels..

Definitely add that to your list and figure out your true needs..!! Or look up my posts about them.

Joe Z
Interesting. I've seen CKS on the RCF/GSF subforums but I can't find any application for the ISF. They seem to enjoy them on those other subforums but it's also difficult to compare to the ISF. ModInJapan does not seem to have them listed on their website either. Did you get a custom set? Any feedback?
Old 06-29-20, 08:20 AM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowlane
Thanks for chiming in, no I dont want just the feel, I need the car to be more planted and balanced in fast corners. Not competing but get together with a lot of freinds on weekend blasts through the mountains..
I hope I dont regret the HKS on my 2011 isf on oem Sachs shocks.
I went through this a long time ago with a 996 turbo, put on new PSS10 bilsteins and the car handled worse at any settings.
Keep us updated on the HKS compared to your 2011 suspension.
Is the ride more harsh? Smoother? More comfortable?
Old 06-29-20, 06:12 PM
Slowlane
Driver

Originally Posted by PJSnow
Keep us updated on the HKS compared to your 2011 suspension.
Is the ride more harsh? Smoother? More comfortable?
will do.
Fingers crossed I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-06-20, 11:23 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Mods lets make this thread a master sticky for all suspension/coilover related discussions...........
The following 3 users liked this post by MileHIFcar:
ernisill (07-22-20), PJSnow (07-06-20), Wh0pp3r (07-08-20)
Old 07-28-20, 01:26 AM
Slowlane
Driver

will do.
Fingers crossed I'll be pleasantly surprised.
HKS coilovers with LCA bushes installed Extremely happy with the outcome, way more compliant over bumps than my 2012 oem suspension, more nimble, better more direct streering. Car seems better balance.
l've booked it in for corner weight balance an a proper wheel alignment.
Thanks for everyones help it's very much appreciated.

New stance
The following 4 users liked this post by Slowlane:
Carlos250 (10-12-20), MileHIFcar (07-28-20), truespeed (07-29-20), WhyHateTho (03-16-21)
Old 07-28-20, 07:14 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Good to hear! I've been contemplating HKS for a while now and debating whether to jump to them.
Old 07-28-20, 09:33 AM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts

HKS coilovers with LCA bushes installed Extremely happy with the outcome, way more compliant over bumps than my 2012 oem suspension, more nimble, better more direct streering. Car seems better balance.
l've booked it in for corner weight balance an a proper wheel alignment.
Thanks for everyones help it's very much appreciated.

New stance
I too am jumping on the HKS wagon. Just paid the parts merchant in Japan but there is a backorder until September (must be really popular LOL).

At your current ride height, is that straight out of the box with no adjustment? I am wanting to keep the rear at the same height, just drop the front so it doesnt look like im getting ready to leapfrog.

My F is a 2011 and it feels very harsh on bumps (might just be old suspension)
Attached Thumbnails Compiled Coilover Information-img_8093.jpg  
Old 07-28-20, 11:49 AM
Slowlane
Driver

Originally Posted by ALexusF
I too am jumping on the HKS wagon. Just paid the parts merchant in Japan but there is a backorder until September (must be really popular LOL).

At your current ride height, is that straight out of the box with no adjustment? I am wanting to keep the rear at the same height, just drop the front so it doesnt look like im getting ready to leapfrog.

My F is a 2011 and it feels very harsh on bumps (might just be old suspension)
Mine arrived in 6 weeks from Japan merchant, they build them to order.
Yes height is straight out of the box.
My OEM 2012 was a bit harsh as well
Old 07-28-20, 12:06 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I’m surprised to hear it’s smoother than 2012 suspension. That’s great.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jwconeil:
Slowlane (07-28-20), TXGS430 (06-18-21)
Old 07-28-20, 07:10 PM
Slowlane
Driver

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
If your after performance and function, then the conversation changes very quickly, and words like harmonics and geometry become king. The price off entry also changes. It’s very important to differentiate the feeling of performance, and performance. The placebo effect is so powerful that it has actually cured symptoms, and is measured in all drug studies. Google “nocebo” effect if you really want to know how powerful a “feeling” can be.
Hahah just saw this last bit in your post, not sure how I missed it.

I've never heard of "nocebo" effect, very interesting. Who knows, I could have a bit of this.
But at least I'm happy with my HKS coilovers
I can see where you're coming from
Thanks for the post.

Google search
Is the nocebo effect real?
In summary, the Nocebo Effect is real and can lead to perceived or actual physical side effects of a treatment simply based on the patients negative past experience, perception or expectations of the intervention.Aug 26, 2014
Old 07-29-20, 05:37 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts

Came across this nugget on ride height measurement in a years-old from lobuxracer. Figured it should be part of this thread if it becomes sticky...

Summary = Measuring fender gap (or height off the ground) is an imprecise method for determining ride height due to variations in body panels. A more precise method prescribed by Lexus is to measure the height of a control arm or sub-frame reference point vs wheel center. It seems really hard in practice, but makes total sense.

Details:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post7998048
Old 07-30-20, 08:31 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Google search
Is the nocebo effect real?
In summary, the Nocebo Effect is real and can lead to perceived or actual physical side effects of a treatment simply based on the patients negative past experience, perception or expectations of the intervention.Aug 26, 2014
The mind has a power over the body that we don’t yet fully comprehend. There are nocebo studies wherein people were given real medication, but told that they were the placebo group and given fake medication, and the people did not get better. This was with proven medications.

Expectations mean everything. Some physicians encourage the thought that “you will get better” for this reason.

I work in the medical field, so I read lots of studies.

I think it’s true. That’s why some folks feel a stiffer ride or more feedback from the road and think their car handles better. For the same reason, people install exhaust and feel a power increase since the car is louder.

Its not to discredit mods. Some are valuable. But performance gains can only be measured with data, such as lap times.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (07-31-20)

Quick Reply: Compiled Coilover Information