IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

isf purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 07:14 AM
rrbrian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default isf purchase? 2013

hello i currently have a is250 looking to get a isf now that i have a money saved up (would still take out a loan don’t wanna spend everything on the car) but i’m currently looking at a 2013 isf that is going for 40k with 33k miles it looks in immaculate condition i just don’t know if the price is right. in my opinion it’s little high i was thinking mid 30’s and low 30’s if i’m lucky lucky. hope i can read some of your guys opinion thank you.

Last edited by rrbrian; 07-02-20 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 07-02-20, 08:20 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

That’s priced below book value, which is closer to 43. The 12-14s usually sell above book value. It’s a good deal if it is in good shape and wreck free. Buy it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jwconeil:
LexusfanVA (07-02-20), rrbrian (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 08:36 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

As said above, low mile, high year model examples of these cars are typically priced quite high (above typical book value most times) because of the rarity.

I'd recommend buying a well maintained 2011 or 2012 with a few more miles to get into your price range. You'll be losing basically nothing except a lower number on your odo/title. These cars are very reliable so miles don't matter too much and I don't think there were many/any changes for the 2013 model year.
The following users liked this post:
rrbrian (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 08:55 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by WillAP1
As said above, low mile, high year model examples of these cars are typically priced quite high (above typical book value most times) because of the rarity.

I'd recommend buying a well maintained 2011 or 2012 with a few more miles to get into your price range. You'll be losing basically nothing except a lower number on your odo/title. These cars are very reliable so miles don't matter too much and I don't think there were many/any changes for the 2013 model year.
12 plus have different suspension and ride very well. You will also lose value if you buy below 12, as the resale is higher on them. A low mileage 13 may appreciate (mine has). So consider that in your overall plan. Rarer is always more valuable. 13-14 model years are the rarest. I’d personally pay the 40 for the 13 as long as its clean, maintained, and wreck free. You can also offer lower. We’re going deeper into recession as states roll back on economy openings, so you may get a better deal than usual. Let us know if you get it, and welcome to the crew.
rrbrian (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 09:10 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
12 plus have different suspension and ride very well. You will also lose value if you buy below 12, as the resale is higher on them. A low mileage 13 may appreciate (mine has). So consider that in your overall plan. Rarer is always more valuable. 13-14 model years are the rarest. I’d personally pay the 40 for the 13 as long as its clean, maintained, and wreck free. You can also offer lower. We’re going deeper into recession as states roll back on economy openings, so you may get a better deal than usual. Let us know if you get it, and welcome to the crew.
This is a common misconception. The major suspension updates were done for the 2011 model year. There were minor suspension changes made for 2012 and after but I think it is widely accepted there isn't a significantly noticeable change in comfort or performance associated with the 2012 and later suspension changes... certainly nothing close to the major updates made for the 2011 model year.

Also, I would personally never buy a modern/mainstream car as an investment or based on resale value... but to each their own.

If you can afford the '13 at 40+ I'm sure its a great car. But I still stand by my recommendation that you'll get largely the same car and enjoyment level out of a 2011/2012 with more miles if you need to find one that fits closer into mid/low 30s budget.
The following 2 users liked this post by WillAP1:
PJSnow (07-02-20), rrbrian (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 09:45 AM
Nikeboi09
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rrbrian
hello i currently have a is250 looking to get a isf now that i have a money saved up (would still take out a loan don’t wanna spend everything on the car) but i’m currently looking at a 2013 isf that is going for 40k with 33k miles it looks in immaculate condition i just don’t know if the price is right. in my opinion it’s little high i was thinking mid 30’s and low 30’s if i’m lucky lucky. hope i can read some of your guys opinion thank you.
A 2013 with low miles and *clean history* is gonna go for well above $40k. If you can get it for $40k, then its a steal, they are rare. However if you can find a 2012 or 2011 for a lower price and similar miles, that would be much better.
rrbrian (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 11:13 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

OP didn’t mention the car he’s looking it is a white on red interior which tends to carry a premium. The 12+ have the nicer wheels that everyone longs for too, they often command the price double the cost of the other ISF wheels. They also got the nicer headlights, the LED strip is more white rather than the 11 yellow.

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 07-02-20 at 11:40 AM.
rrbrian (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 11:31 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by WillAP1
This is a common misconception. The major suspension updates were done for the 2011 model year. There were minor suspension changes made for 2012 and after but I think it is widely accepted there isn't a significantly noticeable change in comfort or performance associated with the 2012 and later suspension changes... certainly nothing close to the major updates made for the 2011 model year.

Also, I would personally never buy a modern/mainstream car as an investment or based on resale value... but to each their own.

If you can afford the '13 at 40+ I'm sure its a great car. But I still stand by my recommendation that you'll get largely the same car and enjoyment level out of a 2011/2012 with more miles if you need to find one that fits closer into mid/low 30s budget.
The book value on mine has gone up roughly 11% in two years. I’m assuming the 13 is affordable for OP, since he is shopping for a 13.
Its a great deal for a 13.

A 2011 will be a fine car. But when choosing between a car that will Most likely appreciate and one that Is less likely to... always choose the appreciating asset, unless the cost is not in your budget.

The suspension still changed from 2011 to 2012. Meaning the 12 is still more refined than the 11. The wheels are a massive bonus, with a second hand value of 2000-2500.

There’s a big reason that 12-14 carries high price tags. Thats based on real world data. They are simply more valuable.

No dispute that an 11 is a nice car.
Old 07-02-20, 01:57 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
The book value on mine has gone up roughly 11% in two years. I’m assuming the 13 is affordable for OP, since he is shopping for a 13.
Its a great deal for a 13.

A 2011 will be a fine car. But when choosing between a car that will Most likely appreciate and one that Is less likely to... always choose the appreciating asset, unless the cost is not in your budget.

The suspension still changed from 2011 to 2012. Meaning the 12 is still more refined than the 11. The wheels are a massive bonus, with a second hand value of 2000-2500.

There’s a big reason that 12-14 carries high price tags. Thats based on real world data. They are simply more valuable.

No dispute that an 11 is a nice car.
Good for you. I'm not disputing the book value or appreciation on 13+ models, nor has anything I've said alluded to that.

Uh huh, always... unless... you're buying a car purely to actually drive and not to be an investment that you put a few thousand miles a year on. Lets see what the 13 values start to look like once they roll past 100k on the odometer. Betting they will equalize more and more the further they get past that.

"More refined" is a stretch. As I already said, there is a general consensus there isn't a significant change in suspension comfort or performance between 2011 and later years. If it really matters that much to you that the part numbers changed then yeah, you've hit the refinement jackpot.

The wheels are "a massive bonus" eh? You mean the wheels most people take off and replace with something aftermarket and then let sit in the back of their garage until they sell the car, because they know what a nightmare it is to try and sell a car with aftermarket wheels? Gonna have to disagree again. If you're into massive paperweights that you could sell for some decent cash in a pinch, but would probably ultimately regret later... or actually just really prefer the styling over other years and plan to keep them on the car, yeah they are a good bonus.

The "big reason" is because they have the highest model year and are the rarest with the lowest miles and yes many people intrinsically value that. But there is very little (if any) functional reason. Cosmetic reasons are quite limited as well.

No dispute that a 13 is a nice car. However, given the OP's disclosure of pricing concerns I wanted him to be aware of what that extra money is really getting him.

OP: At the end of the day, if you like the car, and it's within your budget, buy it. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Just don't expect to get it for much/any lower in price, as that isn't a reflection of current market value.

Last edited by WillAP1; 07-02-20 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-02-20, 02:15 PM
Grosen84
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got a 13 I advertised mid-30s with less than 50k miles, it's still available. Unless you really want white/red, I think you're probably overpaying.