IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model
View Poll Results: Tip options
Rectangular 5.5 x 3 rolled tips.
11.11%
slant cut duals 3.5 single wall and 7.5" total across.
11.11%
3.5 single wall.
11.11%
Somehow turn the OEM tips into actual exits.
66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Aftermarket exhaust tips! Poll.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-20, 06:23 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhaust tips! Poll.

I am on the XFORCE cat back and considering some exhaust tips and narrowed it down to these four options.

I think the OEM would be excellent if it could be welded to be a full on exit but the problem is the whole thing is some giant separate pieced cavern thing. Only thing I can think of is make some kind of 2.5 to 9" wide vent transition style...

Example) from the 2.5" XFORCE muffler tip to this vent transition... You'll know what I mean if you've seen the back of the faux tips

On with the aftermarket tips

4 of these. 5.5 x 3" tips.

or - kind of leaning towards these. 7.5" across with 3.5" single wall

or - these will be painted black or flat silver. Single wall flat cut for this brand doesn't come any other way except faux ti burn. 3.5" single wall

Last edited by LSpho; 09-18-20 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-18-20, 07:56 AM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

I think the OEM fake tips do their job just fine to funnel exhaust fumes out the rear with the stock exhaust but I agree some aftermarket exhausts have a single outlet that doesn't match the original airflow through the tips.
If you are determined to get rid of the OEM tips but keep a similar look, I think the "rectangular" tips would match the oval style of the OEM best. I would love to see how this looks so that's my vote.
There was a thread on here a few months ago discussing a single tip in the bumper opening. If I find the thread I will edit this post. It included a few photos and some members were conflicted but everyone has their own preferences and you may like it.
Attaching the OEM tips to an exhaust is probably not worth the effort and I'm not even sure the dissimilar metals can be joined.
Best of luck with the decision and don't read too far into anyone else's opinions. Ultimately, it's your car and you have to mod it how you like.
Old 09-18-20, 08:03 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

We have indisputable proof that the oem tips don’t funnel exhaust out, because it goes in through the trunk vents and fills the car. Only guys without cats notice the smell, but it’s happening to all ISFs without new trunk vents.

I run double walled 4.5 inch single tips. They have gotten a fair amount of hate on CL, but I love them.

I refuse to trust my family’s health to trunk vent flaps that are known to fail, so I put my exhaust where it belongs... behind the car. Just my 2 cents.

Edit- I see you said some aftermarket exhausts. My car came with JoeZ, so I can’t speak to OEM exhaust. My JoeZ filled my car with exhaust fumes since my trunk vents had failed. I personally doubt the oem exhaust is better, but I have never seen one so won’t speak to it.

Last edited by Jwconeil; 09-18-20 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-18-20, 09:42 AM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Edit- I see you said some aftermarket exhausts. My car came with JoeZ, so I can’t speak to OEM exhaust. My JoeZ filled my car with exhaust fumes since my trunk vents had failed. I personally doubt the oem exhaust is better, but I have never seen one so won’t speak to it.
The JoeZ exhaust is one of the exhausts I was referring to (single exit out of the muffler). The OEM exhaust has two (2) outlets at the rear of each muffler that align with the OEM tips, therefore, the exhaust flow is being pushed straight out. Not sure what exhaust OP has but that may be an influence on his tip purchase.
Side note, I have the HKS exhaust and it has a single exit that aligns with the top tip of the OEM tips (bottom tip is unused). EDIT: Also, @Jwconeil I do appreciate your take on the single tips. It is something different that not many ISF owners go for and its great to see some variety even if it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited by PJSnow; 09-18-20 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Jwconeil appreciation
The following users liked this post:
Jwconeil (09-25-20)
Old 09-18-20, 11:02 AM
LSpho
Pit Crew

I am on the Xforce catback. I want the exhaust tips piped out to flush or little past the bumper for the mentioned exhaust entering cabin. It'll also decrease drone as the sound will exit straight past the back of the car.
The black rectangular looking ones I have seem similar on an ISF before but cannot find any images and it appeared to have suit the car as well as the OEM.

I am not against the idea of single exits but not for me personally. JW, are your singles slant/slash cut?

Option 5 is get 4 seperate S2000 exhaust tips.

I'm having a hard time visualizing #2 but might look really good.

EDIT: does anyone know the size of the entire center muffler cavity? I might have to put a MASSIVE dual in/out down center muffler and delete the rear mufflers. Looks like the bottom of the ISF can fit 2 mufflers in the middle sections. All 2in 2out mufflers seem to have a built in X and the Xforce catback already has an X. If I got two center 2in 2out installed the car would have a total of 3 X crossovers. Would there be any strange happenings with 3 X cross overs?

Last edited by LSpho; 09-18-20 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-19-20, 06:49 AM
themap
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the look of OEM as much as possible. Given that, i voted to make the OEM connect (the last option on your poll). However, the Hayward & Scott exhaust for the isf came/comes with tips that look exactly like the oem ovals, but are connected. That would have been my vote if it was listed. See the image as reference.

Hayward & Scott exhaust tips
Old 09-19-20, 06:53 AM
themap
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the borla catback, and that has dual tips, just like the oem mufflers (same spots). which align nicely to the tips.
Old 09-19-20, 04:42 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

The Hayward and Scott ovals still look suitable but they look a little off compared to the OE.
Old 09-19-20, 06:49 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Post Fact

Reminder the OEM Tip is called an exhaust diffuser / collector... It has a purpose and works as designed..

They are far from "Fake Tips" even 12 years later

Joe Z
Old 09-20-20, 02:40 PM
supersonic
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the X-Force exhaust. I bought 1 to 2 outlet exhaust tips on ebay and had them cut down to size and welded at a shop. Im very happy. may be one of the few with actual dual tips from the x-force.
Old 09-20-20, 02:50 PM
James7
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LSpho
The Hayward and Scott ovals still look suitable but they look a little off compared to the OE.
Really depends on the quality of the production and install too. I have seen some of these with the tips sticking so far out, and/or some have them crooked (one set too close to the top of the bumper opening) Buyers can't help it sometimes because the quality of the exhaust has been so erratic and all over the place. Nobody's even sure if they make power by themselves.
Old 09-20-20, 04:22 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb Another Fact

^^ Another fact I proved 12 years ago is that not all IS F's were created equally..

I found many tolerance differences from car to car when we developed our exhaust during R&D.
hangers, brackets, bumpers.. Slight millimeters of differences from car to car.

We made sure to cover each of them so it would work for the masses.

This was ONE of the primary reasons why our mufflers we designed, had a simple single exit to sit perfectly in the center of the oem collectors.. In every IS F

Joe Z
The following users liked this post:
James7 (09-20-20)
Old 09-20-20, 04:24 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Joe do agree that the oem tips function as a whole unit. Which is why an option to keep them though I do want them piped out rather than behind. The drone resonates through the cabin. I've had the exhaust flush or pushed out a little bit past the bumper on all my previous and current cars so far and the in cabin drone significantly decreased while exterior noise is same or more "solid"

James, wonky fitting tips kind of irritate me ahha. Yes I am a stickler for fitted exhaust tips and can't look all wonky.
Old 09-20-20, 06:51 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

You won't be able to keep or modify the OEM tip collector.. It's attached to the bumper..

The exhaust MOVES with the engine.

You will need to buy some sort of oval stacked tips to try and perfectly weld them onto your muffler and leave room for movements..

Joe Z
Old 09-20-20, 10:50 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

doh! you're correct. The exhaust movements and those in bumper tips will not do.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust tips! Poll.