IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Bride Driver and Passenger Bucket Seat & tutorial to get rid of the SRS light!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 06:10 PM
Toyoboy
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Added some Recaro's to mine recently. So much more comfortable than the factory seats

Old 12-28-20, 07:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Toyoboy
Added some Recaro's to mine recently. So much more comfortable than the factory seats
Sorry to burst the bubble, but this is a death trap. If your car rolls with this harness bar, your neck will be crushed and you'll be paralyzed if you are unlucky and will die if you are overseen by a benevolent god.

NEVER EVER RUN A 5 POINT HITCH WITHOUT A ROLLBAR! All is does is ensure your neck will be crushed in a rollover event. There are a few of us on this forum who understand what this really means, and we'd all be happy to explain what it means to have ghost rings, numb foot areas, split stream urination, and other substantive issues related to cervical spinal compression.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
ChpEng (12-29-20), Rickna (12-29-20)
Old 12-29-20, 06:07 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Driving with a harness on the street will also lead to a basal skull fracture in a frontal impact. A harness is only safe with a HANS device. Otherwise, your begging to unplug your spine from your brain.

You can read about proper safety setup in Illwilliams build thread. He probably saved some lives by taking the time to document his build.
Old 12-29-20, 08:02 AM
Toyoboy
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I hear you Lobux. The car is getting a rollcage but it's a simple 6 point with no harness attachment points. FYI the factory 3 point harnesses are still retained and used when it's street driven and I do use a head and neck system with my other cars. This will be no exception
Old 12-29-20, 08:52 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

all the weight saving lolz the real weight saving is the driver and skill lolz , healthy and lean for life
Old 12-29-20, 10:25 AM
staticset
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Toyoboy
I hear you Lobux. The car is getting a rollcage but it's a simple 6 point with no harness attachment points. FYI the factory 3 point harnesses are still retained and used when it's street driven and I do use a head and neck system with my other cars. This will be no exception
A 6pt cage will no doubt have a point to attach your harnesses.

One of my favorite ways to meet people is to walk through the paddock at any amateur event and talk to folks about installing their harnesses correctly. In addition to everything that Lobux mentioned, your harness ties are incorrect. This harness install will do two three things in the event of an impact:

1) immediately release shoulder tension - send you into the dash
2) collapse the harness bar - send you into the ceiling
3) snake you under the lap belts - send you out of the seat and underneath the dash

Those seats look like they'll have the proper hip engagement with the factory 3pt belt so please - please never use this belt how it's currently installed. I hope your other cars are a better example.

The following users liked this post:
mike33 (12-30-20)
Old 12-29-20, 10:30 AM
2011ISFNY
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Driving with a harness on the street will also lead to a basal skull fracture in a frontal impact. A harness is only safe with a HANS device. Otherwise, your begging to unplug your spine from your brain.

You can read about proper safety setup in Illwilliams build thread. He probably saved some lives by taking the time to document his build.
Read the title of the thread before you hijack it. I am not sure how a tutorial to show others how to turn off the SRS lights (which took me hours to google) leads to all this negativity. The main purpose of this was to make others lives easier. Unless you have something meaningful to add to this, suggest you just read on. If you want to share all your wisdom on public safety, suggest you go start your own thread.
PJSnow (12-29-20)
Old 12-30-20, 09:11 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

No hijack here. I’ve posted the title for you...

Bride Driver and Passenger Bucket Seat & tutorial to get rid of the SRS light!!

As we all see, this is a thread about installing aftermarket seats. I commented on the importance of safety when doing so. It’s all completely related. I’m sorry if my facts have bothered you.

I work in an ortho hospital, and one of our docs helps develop safety products for race cars. The trauma unit has seen some nasty stuff. Harnesses on the street are a flat out unsafe idea. The neck will stretch some 3-4 inches if you get into a front end impact, in your fancy aftermarket seats and harnesses, if you don’t have a Hans Device. That’s why oem belts are designed to let out some during wrecks. The stretch will unplug your spine from your brain and kill you.

This is all extremely relevant when installing aftermarket seats. Do it right, and stay safe. Most of all, don’t show everyone the unsafe way to do it in a thread ABOUT AFTERMARKET SEATS and then be offended and sad when we make sure our members are getting safe direction. This isn’t a difference in opinion. This is a life and death thing backed by science and facts.

Lap belts on the street. Harnesses on track with HANS device. If that’s what your doing, then A plus!

You may also find that a few members have discussed how to defeat the SRS light in the past, but we appreciate you documenting it with pictures.

Last edited by Jwconeil; 12-30-20 at 09:47 PM.
mike33 (12-30-20)
Old 12-31-20, 05:18 AM
2011ISFNY
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for clarifying that and pasting the title I WROTE. As far as I can tell, it clearly says "tutorial on SRS lights". My inner child would ask you to paste it in a larger font but something tells me that font size and reading are two different things. Just want to make that simple FACT clear.

This post was a follow-up to a build thread Leo started. All the other members you referenced, I've spoke to individually. It was no cake walk to get all the factory components out of the stock seats and hence the pictures. Let's call a spade for a spade. What offends me is people feeling a need to make assumptions and lecture the world. Where did I show the unsafe way to install aftermarket seats? My intention starting this tread and responding to you was not to start an argument with you on public forum. My point is (as with anything in life), If you find it helpful, great. If not, read on.

But I do appreciate you giving your insights on HANS device safety though. I'm being serious. Good luck with your build and all the best to you in the coming year.

Last edited by 2011ISFNY; 12-31-20 at 06:02 AM.
mr2dave (12-31-20)