IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Installed Antigravity Li Ion battery today

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 05:04 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 170 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What is the draw on the dashcam? If it's killing a 65 Ah battery in 2 days, that sounds like it pulls some serious power.
No clue. It is dual channel with 2 cameras. But I have it set to cut power to the dashcam when the battery hits 12v so I can start the car later.
The following users liked this post:
vraa (12-09-20)
Old 02-26-21, 10:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Hey fellow F owners,

For the benefit of other buyers, I thought I would post a review to show another option as well as installation of group 48 on here as it is the perfect size (I believe ISF has the same battery size). The size is pretty much identical to OEM Panasonic the car came with. Only polarity is reversed, but it can easily be installed.

I installed everything myself. Other than releasing the two plastic cable clamps, rest of it took 10 minutes. It is a perfect fit height, width wise. I chose the 30 Ah battery because it offered great weight savings with enough cranking and Amp-hours since I don't use accessories much.

The polarity is reversed, but it is easy to install. The only challenging part was taking the two harness cable enclosures out of the plastic clamps that hold it to the battery plastic cage. Once those two clamps were open and the cables could be freed, rest was super easy. Just need a 10 mm small wrench that could fit in the tight spaces.

So the weight reduction is 27.2 lbs I weighed the OEM Panasonic battery this RCF came with and it was nearly 40 lbs. The Antigravity 30 Ah battery weighed in at 12.8 lbs so a total of 27.2 lbs weight reduction. The car cranks insanely fast as if there is no weight/centrifugal force in the spinning moments. Although, I noticed the cold start was a bit "tamer". It did not sound as ferocious, but maybe it is in my head. Anyway, it drives fine and seems like a great and very high quality product.

Picture of the Antigravity AG-H6-RS battery at 12.8 lbs

The most difficult part. Put a flathead screwdriver and twist and the tab pops out

The battery finally installed with reverse polarity. Only thing is, you cannot put the cables back in the plastic clamps, but it is alright. Looks great

The two key fobs the battery arrived with for the jumpstart techology. I did not get the battery healthy monitor like many of the guys on this thread, but I did not order directly from Antigravity, but a third party US vendor.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-26-21 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-26-21, 11:48 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts

I have noticed starts in cold weather are "tamer" also. A bit less enthusiasm at 50°F vs 80°F. Seems like it might be more temperature sensitive than lead-acid types, or maybe it is just more apparent because 2-3x the factory CCA's is such a big change?
Old 02-27-21, 10:25 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChpEng
I have noticed starts in cold weather are "tamer" also. A bit less enthusiasm at 50°F vs 80°F. Seems like it might be more temperature sensitive than lead-acid types, or maybe it is just more apparent because 2-3x the factory CCA's is such a big change?
Thanks for the tip, ChpEng. Makes sense. My car is kept in an underground garage where the climate is set to around 23 C (or 74 F). With OEM battery, I felt the car sounded ferocious on cold start and it sounds a bit tamer with the AG battery, but I think it might not be an issue. I think it is the latter that there is a difference in specs of the OEM battery and the AG battery. However, the cranking of the Antigravity battery is way more aggressive than the OEM battery. It probably leads to the cold idle was slightly higher with the OEM Panasonic battery. The engine is idling lower on a cold start with the AG battery. I don't think it is an issue, but thanks for the input.

Overall, the first impressions are great. Decent weight reduction, great cranking power, restart capability with the FOBs, theoretically lasts 8 - 10 years

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-27-21 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-27-21, 04:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by ChpEng
I have not noticed this at all. The good thing about LiFePo4 is when it gets cold, all you need to do is keep trying. Unlike lead/acid, it warms itself internally and works better with a load. Some Antigravity owners turn on the headlights for 20 seconds or so when it's cold to get the cranking amps up. I have started mine down to 20F and not seen a noticeable difference in starting speed. I don't live in an ultra cold place and have no intentions of ever doing so. Grew up there, not going back.
ChpEng (02-28-21)
Old 02-27-21, 05:08 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe, I will make a video of it. It starts in an "explosive" manner and then the car goes quieter as the rpm drop to around 1000 rpm after that considering the engine is still cold. Before, it used to hold the rpms for a bit before dropping back.

At least, quieter than before when the for about 1 minute, the car would hold high rpm before it would drop.

p.s. my garage is climate controlled at around 75 F or 24 - 25 C so temperature is not an issue.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-27-21 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-28-21, 09:11 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

BTW, the IS F and the RC F do not use the same battery. The RC F uses H6. The IS F and GS F use Group 24. Antigravity makes a perfect fit battery with the terminals in the right place for the IS F and GS F. I have one in my IS F.

The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
05RollaXRS (02-28-21), Joe Z (03-03-21)
Old 02-28-21, 01:57 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

OK thanks. I thought ISF also took OEM group 48 as well as like the RCF. Good to know it is group 24. The group 48 has the perfect size from what I could see for the RCF. Just opposite polarity, but I made it work, which is why I thought I would share my experience with ISF guys.

BTW, this thread is great as I found it very informative about AG from here and probably would have went OEM, if I had not read it so I really appreciated it.

p.s. Thanks for the tip regarding headlights. My car's headlights are set to 'auto' so I will test out the cold start like you said by switching to manual since they always come on automatically in my parking garage

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-28-21 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-28-21, 06:20 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,373 Posts

^^^^From another thread in the RCF forum:

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The ISF guys have been using group 24. Not sure how that translates to the RCF. I believe JoeZ has a group 24 in his ISF. This is JoeZ's engine bay and it is a group 24
Lou

lobuxracer (02-28-21)
Old 03-02-21, 12:56 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Any knowledge as to why the RCF went to a group 48? I have a battery in my daily showing some age. I may give it my Costco ISF battery and pick up one of these for the F, along with a trickle for the long winters.
Old 03-03-21, 09:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Only Lexus knows for sure. Seems very werd considering the RC F and GS F share a whole lot of sheet metal in the front.
Old 03-03-21, 06:06 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Any knowledge as to why the RCF went to a group 48? I have a battery in my daily showing some age. I may give it my Costco ISF battery and pick up one of these for the F, along with a trickle for the long winters.
Only Lexus knows for sure. Seems very werd considering the RC F and GS F share a whole lot of sheet metal in the front.
The Group 48 / H6 is very close specs wise to Group 24..

The major difference is the recessed posts found on the 48 / H6

Both are spec'd with posts towards the firewall..

There has has to be a reason why IS F / GS F use 24 and RC F use 48 or H6

Joe Z
Old 03-14-21, 01:58 PM
Jwconeil

I'd get the Group 51. It's lighter, smaller, cheaper and has plenty of kick to start and run the car. The AG battery I have now is less than 10 pounds as measured on my scale, rated at 24 Ah, and spins the engine over better than any lead/acid battery I've owned (I've had three of them in my IS F!?!). I like the 10 year warranty assuming I won't need to use it. That's what sucked about the red top in my Supra. When I drove it daily, I never had a problem and they lasted about 6 years. When it became my occasional driver, they lasted about 24 months, I got a replacement, it lasted 24 months, then I had to buy a new one because the replacement doesn't have the same warranty as a new one. Hated it. I'm looking forward to a sub 10 pound battery capable of holding its charge for long periods of sitting. Just what the Supra needs.
I think I’m starting to settle on the arc angel group 51. It lacks the restart function, but it’s also only $380.

Since it doesn’t have the kick start, can these be jumped like a normal battery with jumpers?
Old 03-14-21, 07:32 PM
minator
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I think I’m starting to settle on the arc angel group 51. It lacks the restart function, but it’s also only $380.

Since it doesn’t have the kick start, can these be jumped like a normal battery with jumpers?
Does the battery have low voltage protection? (Turning off if voltage gets too low)
Old 03-14-21, 08:25 PM
Jwconeil

The exact discussion point was "some of the older cars don't shut off all the computers and can be a problem. Newer cars are pretty good about this." So, my takeaway was parasitic losses while shut down. I let my car sit for a week while I was visiting my dad in Iowa. Temperatures were from the 20's to the 50's and I disconnected everything to do the valley plate (and originally intended to replace all the cam drive as well) after sitting 3 days. On day 6, I started up from cold, and I saw the voltage go up one bar from normal, which tells me the battery was charging where normally I never see this with daily driving. I'm pretty convinced this battery is more than adequate for my use case on my '08. If you're really worried about it, the 30Ah option would provide more reserve, and certainly there are other options with even more capacity, but I think those would be total overkill.

I plan to buy another battery just like the one I have for my Supra when it's time to replace the one I have.
Lance - since your ISF battery was charging after sitting for just a week, wouldn’t that mean your Supra, which sits way more often, would be better off with a higher reserve?

Quick Reply: Installed Antigravity Li Ion battery today