IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Installed Antigravity Li Ion battery today

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 04:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Hassle? Really? It took maybe 10 minutes total, each time I hit the reset it charged for about a minute, then clicked off and showed an error. I had my meter on it and I could see it kept picking up charge, so I was perfectly happy especially since I didn't need to start the engine. To me a hassle would be "sorry mate, your $600 battery is FUBAR."
Old 03-30-21, 07:12 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

The instructions show the procedure as restarting the battery and then letting the charger take it to full. That wasn’t the case for you. Maybe it was drawing power too quickly and so the BMS shut it off? I’d rather your scenario then a cooked battery for sure. It just doesn’t align with expectations.
Old 03-30-21, 11:38 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
The instructions show the procedure as restarting the battery and then letting the charger take it to full. That wasn’t the case for you. Maybe it was drawing power too quickly and so the BMS shut it off? I’d rather your scenario then a cooked battery for sure. It just doesn’t align with expectations.
More like it needs to be a minimum of 11v for the charger to think the battery is OK. When I clicked the restart button, I only had 9.2v. I might have started the engine, but at that low a voltage, I'm doubful. It had been discharged since mid-December.
Old 05-03-21, 10:37 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 127 Posts

Any word if / when Antigravity runs another promotion?
Old 05-03-21, 11:08 AM
Jwconeil

I just asked, and they told me the next date. Granted, it was within a week. I’d email them. They are great communicators.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jwconeil:
Rossi (05-03-21), vraa (05-03-21)
Old 05-04-21, 10:57 PM
md6380
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any concerns with fires with the new lithium ion batteries? The motorcycle crowd has been using lithium ion batteries for some time, but there were reports of fires early on. I haven't been in the loop if that's addressed now.
Old 05-05-21, 11:17 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by md6380
Any concerns with fires with the new lithium ion batteries? The motorcycle crowd has been using lithium ion batteries for some time, but there were reports of fires early on. I haven't been in the loop if that's addressed now.
I had the same concerns, ameliorated by:
1) LiFePo4 is not the same chemistry as Li-ion.
2) AG spent a bit of time and effort perfecting their control electronics ("BMS").

This entire video is worth watching, safety issues addressed starting at 12:20

FAQ:
https://antigravitybatteries.com/hel...m-battery-info
The following users liked this post:
md6380 (05-07-21)
Old 05-06-21, 09:09 AM
Jwconeil

I researched this as well. No issues with Antigravity. The lifePO4 is more stable and their BMS keeps it all safe.
md6380 (05-07-21)
Old 05-06-21, 07:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

I do recommend one thing - check the battery with a voltmeter before blindly installing. A long time friend and component electrical engineer bought an AG battery for his Cayman. On install, something was wrong, and it fried a number of relays, then released a puff of smoke from the restart button. The car was inop and had to be towed, repairs were far from cheap since multiple relays fried and the troubleshooting was not trivial even by a shop specializing in Porsche cars here in Atlanta.

I'll be the first to say I have not had any issues at all with the batteries I've purchased. He's still trying to resolve this with AG, but this happened in December and he's still waiting for someone at AG to do the right thing even when their tech said this one should have never got through QA.

Again, not my experience, but I really feel bad I sent him to AG for the Black Friday sale and all this crap went down. Should never have happened and should have been righted very quickly.
Old 05-07-21, 06:44 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I do recommend one thing - check the battery with a voltmeter before blindly installing. A long time friend and component electrical engineer bought an AG battery for his Cayman. On install, something was wrong, and it fried a number of relays, then released a puff of smoke from the restart button. The car was inop and had to be towed, repairs were far from cheap since multiple relays fried and the troubleshooting was not trivial even by a shop specializing in Porsche cars here in Atlanta.

I'll be the first to say I have not had any issues at all with the batteries I've purchased. He's still trying to resolve this with AG, but this happened in December and he's still waiting for someone at AG to do the right thing even when their tech said this one should have never got through QA.

Again, not my experience, but I really feel bad I sent him to AG for the Black Friday sale and all this crap went down. Should never have happened and should have been righted very quickly.
For the electrically inept.... what are you looking for, and how do you check it? I charged mine to full, and threw it in the car. That’s a frustrating thing to hear about your friend.
Old 05-07-21, 09:07 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Looking for standard voltage ~12.4v. His showed ~70v when he checked it. Something desperately wrong inside that thing.
Old 05-07-21, 12:18 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Looking for standard voltage ~12.4v. His showed ~70v when he checked it. Something desperately wrong inside that thing.
Hearing this now this is a quick easy check. Thankfully nothing happened on my install, didn't even think of checking it. It almost sounds like they miswired series versus parallel in that specific battery. Does your friend still have the battery? If it's still showing 70V it "shouldn't" be an issue with antigravity, but...
Old 05-07-21, 07:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ultimase
Hearing this now this is a quick easy check. Thankfully nothing happened on my install, didn't even think of checking it. It almost sounds like they miswired series versus parallel in that specific battery. Does your friend still have the battery? If it's still showing 70V it "shouldn't" be an issue with antigravity, but...
Bolded for emphasis. Neither did I. I didn't ever consider the battery might be faulty like that. Dead? Sure. That happens. Miswired and way overvoltage? Nope. Never even crossed my wildest imagination and I've been working with electronic circuits since 1973. I guarantee you I'll be checking the basics from here on out for sure.
minator (05-08-21)
Old 05-28-21, 02:00 PM
Jwconeil

They are having a Memorial Day weekend 15% off sale, for anyone interested. Just follow Lance’s instruction on checking voltage, to be hyper conservative. I’ve had no issues whatsoever.
Old 05-28-21, 10:15 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 127 Posts

Got myself AG-24-40-RS and the charger.
ChpEng (09-03-21)

Quick Reply: Installed Antigravity Li Ion battery today