IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thinking about a day at the track. What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20, 01:32 PM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Thinking about a day at the track. What do I need to know?

Once the weather cools off I might head to the track to watch some cool cars go around but also have some fun in the F. I've never been to a track and have no idea what to expect. I don't want to thrash on my car just take it closer to its limits.
Old 09-30-20, 02:37 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Rule No. 1: Dont hit a wall 😂
The following 3 users liked this post by Jwconeil:
FTWisF (03-07-22), MGs350 (09-30-20), Rickna (10-01-20)
Old 09-30-20, 03:48 PM
sunman6
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Try and learn the track through vids / sims if you can beforehand. You're probably going to experience sensory overload with the flags, watching your rearview, etc. and knowing the track / lines will go a long way. Driving wise, try to be smooth on the throttle / steering and focus on your corner exits rather than the entries for your first time out.
The following users liked this post:
mike33 (10-01-20)
Old 09-30-20, 05:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

This is a good place to start.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/roa...d-to-know.html
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
James7 (09-30-20), MGs350 (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20, 09:57 PM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Sweet, thanks! All good advice. Especially the wall thing James! Lol.
Old 09-30-20, 10:26 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Where are you located, i just did thunderhill east a week ago, im back for 5 mile run this Oct 16.
leo
Old 10-01-20, 12:13 AM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 271 Likes on 153 Posts

My $0.02 Take care who you run with. I used to track my daily driver at Streets of Willow regularly and a couple of the events were genuinely dicey. Most of the controversy usually centers around understanding and enforcement of passing rules. I had good experiences with SCCA (aka Cal Club), BMW CCA, and have heard wonderful things about AROSC. (Also enjoyed driving with SERCA, but they are not active these days.)

I recommend Streets as a good "starter" track since it's relatively low-speed; an ISF will probably top out at ~120mph on the front and back straights. Relatively low speeds means reasonable tire and brake wear. Every corner is late-apex in the CW full configuration, but there's enough camber and elevation variety to keep it interesting. Big Willow is a much more serious affair...turn 9 does not suffer fools.

Food for thought:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/calend...s%2C+CA%2C+USA
The following 2 users liked this post by ChpEng:
AlOtaBblGm (10-01-20), lobuxracer (10-01-20)
Old 10-01-20, 01:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ChpEng
My $0.02 Take care who you run with. I used to track my daily driver at Streets of Willow regularly and a couple of the events were genuinely dicey. Most of the controversy usually centers around understanding and enforcement of passing rules. I had good experiences with SCCA (aka Cal Club), BMW CCA, and have heard wonderful things about AROSC. (Also enjoyed driving with SERCA, but they are not active these days.)

I recommend Streets as a good "starter" track since it's relatively low-speed; an ISF will probably top out at ~120mph on the front and back straights. Relatively low speeds means reasonable tire and brake wear. Every corner is late-apex in the CW full configuration, but there's enough camber and elevation variety to keep it interesting. Big Willow is a much more serious affair...turn 9 does not suffer fools.

Food for thought:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/calend...s%2C+CA%2C+USA
Big Willow wouldn't be a good starter. Way fast, and will suck up brake consumables like they're free.
AlOtaBblGm (10-01-20)
Old 10-01-20, 06:53 AM
AlOtaBblGm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ljdsong
Where are you located, i just did thunderhill east a week ago, im back for 5 mile run this Oct 16.
leo
I'm in SoCal, Los Angeles area.
Old 10-01-20, 07:11 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by AlOtaBblGm
I'm in SoCal, Los Angeles area.
@AlOtaBblGm

You will need some track duty specific brake pads...

When you get a chance please see my questions I ask you in this thread..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-brembo-3.html

Thanks

Joe Z
AlOtaBblGm (10-01-20)
Old 10-01-20, 08:43 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 107 Posts

You should get an instructor first time going in. If you're a relatively good driver, pair that with understanding and memorizing the track (instructors are invaluable for this) and you'll do great.
I'd also suggest DOT4 brake fluid and maybe some semi-metallic pads.
AlOtaBblGm (10-01-20)
Old 10-01-20, 02:57 PM
illwillem
Pit Crew

Received 451 Likes on 132 Posts

Streets is a decent track for starters but is generally know to be one of the harder tracks on the car, cooling and transitional forces especially. Probably the best track as far as first time learning and wear is Chuckwalla raceway. Luckily they are just coming out of the summer break and starting to hold events again. ButtonWillow is also a decent track to learn for first timers.

Tips for you--- Be honest and join the run group that you should be in. This should likely be beginner group which includes lead follow for the first 2 sessions, You will probably feel you are faster than what the lead car is driving- but that's not the point. These sessions are for you to be able to learn the flag stations and get familiar with the pit out and pit in procedures. There is a lot of self classing here in SoCal and some people assume because they did a good time on GranTurismo means they need to be in the advanced group. This will 100% everytime get you dropped to a lower group and not ingratiate you to the other drivers who's session you ruined. Dont be that guy.

You should make sure you drink plenty of water and get a good nights sleep. You may be anxious before your first session(s) just relax, take it easy. No kidding over the years I have seen more people pass out or overload before the day even starts. Prep the car the night or weekend before (more on this below) Forget about setting up go pros or timers these first sessions are not worth filming or timing. Concentrate on looking at the flag stations and being aware of whats further down the track. Eyes up, breath, relax, have fun. You'll get into the rhythm of a session after the first 3-4 laps.

Your main issue as a new driver is simply bandwidth. Our brain is experiencing all sorts of new things and can only realistically remember a handful things that happen over a session. You need to prioritize that bandwidth for things concerning safety. For godsakes turn off the music when on track so you can listen for problems.

Once you are let out without a lead car, are fairly comfortable and have track entry and exit as well as all the flag stations memorized you can start to get comfortable driving. This is NOT a race. There is zero shame or point too not letting cars past you with the appropriate point-bys. Likewise you can pull into the hot pits anytime and ask the flagger for space if you get stuck around cars you don't feel comfortable with. I do both of these all the time.

As far as driving, the second half of the day I always suggest to beginners choosing 2 or 3 corners on opposite sides of the track and working on those, see how the car feels at different speeds, lines and braking points. Drive around to the other corner and do the same. This makes remembering those corners and learning them much easier. You can rotate corners during the session or just work on a few per session. After a few sessions of this you will have given each corner priority for a few laps and you can now try and link them all. You'll have 20-30 mins on track for 3-5 sessions depending on the track day. Track days always thin out after lunch, you have maybe 1/3 less people as a rule of thumb. If you think there is traffic session 1 it'll likely clear up on its own in the after lunch sessions. I will tell you now. NO ONE cares about what you did as far as a laptime. Don't use it to compare yourself to others, there are a million variables to laptime. Just concentrate on being safe being aware and having fun.

Tips for the car-- This can all and should all be done well before your track day. Check the battery and tie down. It shouldn't move, even a bit. Check the fluids, check the exhaust isn't barely hanging on. Make sure your not driving on corded tires.
The night before- remove all the crap you may have hanging from your mirror or in the door and glove box that can slide around, take out your floor mats (and optionally, but recommended, spare tire and jack). Make sure the front windows roll down on both side of the car- you will not be let on track if they don't. Use blue painters tape to tape a number on your car. This lets the corner workers identify your car to each other over the radio. If your phone slides off a phone mount over a bump on the freeway it WILL fall into the foot well on track. Just put it in the center console.

As far as brakes and brake fluid- I generally don't with other cars but with the ISF i would recommend getting the fluid changed to something like motul rbf600 and possibly some better pads put in.

You will be on track for 20 min session and your car WILL get hot. Its perfectly fine to be a few ticks up over stock commuting temps- but if its pegged out or creeping higher and higher, just do a safe cool down lap, if its still hot after that come in. Its a good idea to drive around the pits away from people at a slow speed for a few min after your session get air flowing and cool everything down. Dont use your e-brake after a session, just put it in park, itll be fine. Only check tq on your lugs after the car has had a while to cool down if you dont they will pop off with surprisingly little force. Check your tire pressures before the sessions and expect them to gain 3-6 lbs of pressure when on track. Occasionally peek under the car and check for drips or leaks on the ground. Drive with sport mode on and the 5 second push and hold to VSC. Full TC on track isnt recommended, also don't do the pedal dance to turn it all off. Check oil level after each session and have a couple spare qts with you to top it off if you need. Bring a jug of distilled water in case you need to top off the coolant. If you have an RR-racing AOS youll likely need to empty it frequently. If your car was leaking from the valley plate before, driving on track will probably make it worse.

Other than that, have fun.

Last edited by illwillem; 10-01-20 at 04:45 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by illwillem:
AlOtaBblGm (10-02-20), ChpEng (10-01-20), Hardrvin (10-01-20), ljdsong (10-01-20), mike33 (10-02-20), minator (10-02-20), redspencer (10-03-20), steeven001 (10-01-20) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-01-20, 03:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

All good stuff above. One add - make sure you have more than water (and a lot more water than you think you need). You'll need electrolytes to maintain focus and concentration. Brain fade is very real, and making sure you dose your water with electrolytes (I use SaltStick) will make a big difference in mental acuity especially when it's hot.
AlOtaBblGm (10-02-20)
Old 10-01-20, 04:35 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Good comments from the group. I'll also reiterate the brain overload / fade. I've had students that have, "just completely missed a turn and kept driving in the grass for ~5 seconds before I poked them to wake them back up" and another "that park in a different paddock, get out of the car and have no clue where they are."

With that said, understand your limit, and pay attention to it. If you find you're fading or just cooked, take the session off. I'm sure lobuxracer has seen this at bike days...the most bone headed incidents happen late in the day when you're tired and make stupid mistakes. Yes, we want to maximize your time, but if you're done, you're done.
AlOtaBblGm (10-02-20)
Old 10-01-20, 09:29 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Excellent thread already. If we keep this up, I’m good for a sticky.

What are the goal tire pressures? Do you run with a full tank of fuel?
AlOtaBblGm (10-02-20)

Quick Reply: Thinking about a day at the track. What do I need to know?