IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First time tracking the F...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-20, 11:02 AM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts
Default First time tracking the F...

So went to Lexus F day this past weekend in Phoenix. Had a blast meeting alot of F owners (whom I only knew their cars and IG tags before seeing their faces lol). Took the F on Apex Motor Club and I think Im hooked. The car felt so at home on a track.

There are few modifications I noticed Ill need to add to the car before I track again (Rear chassis brace, had to remove the stock one because the greddy exhaust hangs real low also wouldnt hurt to add an external oil cooler and maybe even upgrade the tranny cooler to a bigger one). Overall was happy with how the car performed (i knew going square set up was going to make me feel much more comfortable making those turns).

Overall loved how after the last session, I felt like I knew my car better. I didnt go too crazy as Im still a novice driver but I am hoping as I track more I'll get that coveted "driver mod" that I hear everybody talk about. I just want to be a better driver and feel that track days can make me more efficient (even with day to day normal driving).

Performance mod list:

PPE EL headers w/Greddy titanium Exhaust
HKS Hypermax GT IV Coilovers
Apexi rubber elbow w/AFE dryflow filter
Enkei RS05RR 18x9.5 +35 wrapped in 275/35 Michelin PS4S
Figs 90 durameter LCA bushings

I dont believe the car needs stiffer sway bars but it could definitely use a chassis brace to firm up the suspension alittle bit more (i dont want to make the car so stiff that i run the risk of snap oversteer). There was some bodyroll during the track session but It still felt under control if that makes sense.

Any advice from you track vets is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails First time tracking the F...-img_0959.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by ALexusF:
DaveGS4 (12-10-20), JT2MA71 (12-11-20), lobuxracer (12-10-20), RJMacReady (06-26-24)
Old 12-10-20, 01:19 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Hey I think I actually met you there at the track.

The ISF does feel very comfortable at the track. I'm a bit surprised as my ISF is pretty much stock save for some street brake pads and motul 600, and pilot sport a/v's (which honestly worked pretty well for an all seasons, I did notice I was on the sidewall for the fronts a bit). The only issue I saw was a similar thing with oil temps, one bar above the mid point mark after 3 laps. Last year I was very cautious on the track because I had no idea where and how the car would break away and I had my wife and daughter in the car. This year I was similarly cautious at the start but started to push the car towards the last session, and even then I only got the tires to complain ever so slightly. This car is very very capable, and it's unlikely that I'll be able to find that without some serious track time.
The following 2 users liked this post by ultimase:
ALexusF (12-11-20), RJMacReady (06-26-24)
Old 12-10-20, 01:59 PM
Rainheart
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

@ALexusF
That's awesome to hear! Thanks for sharing.

Did you do anything special to prep your F for the track day? (Tire change, oil change, coolant flush, switch to track brake pads, etc.)
The following users liked this post:
ALexusF (12-11-20)
Old 12-10-20, 08:16 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Hey Alex,
Glad to see you post here. I think I've shared a few tips on FB with you,, but i recommend checking out some of the build threads for those who track..
Here is mine:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...uild-blog.html

Oil cooler is a must eventually if you want to go even 8/10ths without having to cut sessions short or shift early..
Sway bar likely won't be a huge difference if you have adjustable coils.
I wpuld certainly upgrade to more performance oriented pads and high temp brake fluid. But be ready for lots of brake dust.
Other than that, I would pit your money toward seat time for awhile and then decide if you want more serious upgrades but the F is very good from the factory.
Glad you're hooked!
Rick
The following 3 users liked this post by lexicon72:
ALexusF (12-11-20), James7 (12-10-20), RJMacReady (06-26-24)
Old 12-11-20, 08:53 AM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ultimase
Hey I think I actually met you there at the track.

The ISF does feel very comfortable at the track. I'm a bit surprised as my ISF is pretty much stock save for some street brake pads and motul 600, and pilot sport a/v's (which honestly worked pretty well for an all seasons, I did notice I was on the sidewall for the fronts a bit). The only issue I saw was a similar thing with oil temps, one bar above the mid point mark after 3 laps. Last year I was very cautious on the track because I had no idea where and how the car would break away and I had my wife and daughter in the car. This year I was similarly cautious at the start but started to push the car towards the last session, and even then I only got the tires to complain ever so slightly. This car is very very capable, and it's unlikely that I'll be able to find that without some serious track time.
Oh wow which F car were you in? And from where? Even in stock form the ISF is very capable on the track imo. Lexus made these cars to be split personalities (track and daily). I think alot of people get disappointed with these cars on the drag strip because it was never intended to go in a straight line haha.

Yeah my oil temps would be one bar over halfway before i had to let off. Some were seeing almost completely at H! Yeah my driver mod needs some work but thats where track time comes in haha.

Originally Posted by Rainheart
@ALexusF
That's awesome to hear! Thanks for sharing.

Did you do anything special to prep your F for the track day? (Tire change, oil change, coolant flush, switch to track brake pads, etc.)
Thanks! Figured id ask here as ive seen some amazing track builds on the forums. I did nothing special honestly, all my maintenance has been caught up. I forgot to add that I am running Project MU Type-PS pads on new OEM brembo rotors (as of last september). Still have plenty of pad left after 3 sessions so Im happy about that lol. Just replaced a failed radiator with new oem radiator, water pump, thermostat, and drive belt about a month ago (so fresh coolant LOL).

Originally Posted by lexicon72
Hey Alex,
Glad to see you post here. I think I've shared a few tips on FB with you,, but i recommend checking out some of the build threads for those who track..
Here is mine:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...uild-blog.html

Oil cooler is a must eventually if you want to go even 8/10ths without having to cut sessions short or shift early..
Sway bar likely won't be a huge difference if you have adjustable coils.
I wpuld certainly upgrade to more performance oriented pads and high temp brake fluid. But be ready for lots of brake dust.
Other than that, I would pit your money toward seat time for awhile and then decide if you want more serious upgrades but the F is very good from the factory.
Glad you're hooked!
Rick
Yeah this was a great experience (and a chance to test out all these pretty parts lol). I loved that I was able to tell what could be better (besides my driving) from session 1 to 3, I felt more comfortable and knew how good my braking was so i was push harder on the straight aways. Im running Project MU type-ps pads (which performed great) on oem brembo rotors. Yeah brake fluid is something that I will need to look into if i plan to get more hardcore with tracking.

Eyeballing a session in January at Willow Springs. Regarding Oil, i see some people run a different oil for track days, is it recommended to swap between oil specifically for track day? Like going redline or motul for track and back to pennzoil ultra plat for day to day. The pennzoil performed great (one bar over half) vs some guys were peaking full H with mobil one.
Old 12-11-20, 09:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Two things - all this fussing over oil temps has no basis in results. I ran up to 275F (one bar from the top) on a hot day in South Carolina, and the UOA came back perfectly normal. Is it best? No, not best. Is it workable? Yes, it is. There is zero evidence to suggest accelerated engine wear is a result of running the oil hot. This was Mobil 1 5w-30, and not only that, but I waa running extended drain intervals at the time. The engine now has almost 190k miles on it, and it is still strong, still wearing at the same rate it always has, and shows no signs of needing any special treatment or rebuild.
ChpEng (12-11-20)
Old 12-11-20, 09:45 AM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Two things - all this fussing over oil temps has no basis in results. I ran up to 275F (one bar from the top) on a hot day in South Carolina, and the UOA came back perfectly normal. Is it best? No, not best. Is it workable? Yes, it is. There is zero evidence to suggest accelerated engine wear is a result of running the oil hot. This was Mobil 1 5w-30, and not only that, but I waa running extended drain intervals at the time. The engine now has almost 190k miles on it, and it is still strong, still wearing at the same rate it always has, and shows no signs of needing any special treatment or rebuild.
I appreciate that bit of information. Since it was my first time I wasnt sure and didnt want to risk anything lol.

That actually makes me feel better about hitting the track sooner. Once i do an oil change Ill be ready to hit willow springs hopefully in January.

So there is no need to run a different weight (or different brand of oil) for track days? If not, thats even better lol.

Im not cheap but also dont want to incur any unnecessary costs
Old 12-11-20, 09:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

As long as you're using a decent oil that doesn't show thermal breakdown below 275F, you should be good. With the temperature I was showing, it was definitely flirting with bad news, but none of the wear metals looked any different than normal after that weekend.

Run a decent oil, and don't worry about it. The latest QSUD is the bargain. Amsoil Signature Series and Renewable Lubricants are both excellent. Mobil 1 full synthetic works, but I don't think it works well with Lexus engines based on the cam chain tensioner issues I had that essentially went away when I changed to RLI.
Old 12-11-20, 10:18 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ALexusF
Oh wow which F car were you in? And from where? Even in stock form the ISF is very capable on the track imo. Lexus made these cars to be split personalities (track and daily). I think alot of people get disappointed with these cars on the drag strip because it was never intended to go in a straight line haha.

Yeah my oil temps would be one bar over halfway before i had to let off. Some were seeing almost completely at H! Yeah my driver mod needs some work but thats where track time comes in haha.
I was in the stock white ISF, the quietest and the highest one there LOL. I never saw it go over one tick above the mid point, if it was pegging the high marker then admittedly I'd be a bit worried

I actually wasn't too worried about it, it was just something out of the ordinary, as I've never seen it over one bar below half with normal day to day driving. I made a mental note, and was watching it to see if it went even further. It seemed to get up to that point, but never over it. If I was considering extended lap sessions I'd start looking into aftermarket oil coolers, but for now I think the stock ISF is pretty impressive at being able to handle even the short track sessions without issue.
Old 12-11-20, 10:21 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ALexusF

Thanks! Figured id ask here as ive seen some amazing track builds on the forums. I did nothing special honestly, all my maintenance has been caught up. I forgot to add that I am running Project MU Type-PS pads on new OEM brembo rotors (as of last september). Still have plenty of pad left after 3 sessions so Im happy about that lol. Just replaced a failed radiator with new oem radiator, water pump, thermostat, and drive belt about a month ago (so fresh coolant LOL).

Yeah this was a great experience (and a chance to test out all these pretty parts lol). I loved that I was able to tell what could be better (besides my driving) from session 1 to 3, I felt more comfortable and knew how good my braking was so i was push harder on the straight aways. Im running Project MU type-ps pads (which performed great) on oem brembo rotors. Yeah brake fluid is something that I will need to look into if i plan to get more hardcore with tracking.

Eyeballing a session in January at Willow Springs. Regarding Oil, i see some people run a different oil for track days, is it recommended to swap between oil specifically for track day? Like going redline or motul for track and back to pennzoil ultra plat for day to day. The pennzoil performed great (one bar over half) vs some guys were peaking full H with mobil one.
I picked up a bottle of Motul 600 from a motorcycle shop nearby and went through replacing the stock fluid. I was able to get it completed with one bottle, but admittedly it was pretty close. Thus far at least it's been great day to day and it was great at the track.
Old 12-12-20, 09:38 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I have never seen anyone in a 12-14 post about high oil temps. I’m really curious if Lexus changed something, but can’t find any proof anywhere.
Old 12-13-20, 03:04 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts

Is there any new guidance on the TIS for the 2011+ 9-bar oil temperature gauge?

Table for 2008-2010 oil temp gauge, from other thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...f-oil-temp.gif
Old 12-13-20, 08:04 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I couldn't find a detailed chart like the 08-10 chart indicates. There's a comment that it'll start flashing all of the bars once you exceed 284 which seems to match previous.

Lobuxracer is correct. One or two bars isn't of much concern. Once you get up to 6 and beyond, I'd start to question it. If you're really comfortable with the car, have enough tire, you can achieve that in 20 minute sessions.

I personally run 0W-40 M1 in about everything. If I'm tracking during the hottest parts of summer, I'll blend in 15W-50. Yes, there are better oils out there. But I like going into Walmart and picking up a gallon for $24.

Don't show up to the track on 3,500 mile old oil. Don't run at the track on a fresh oil change and decide to leave it in there for another 5K if you ran it up to 6 bars.
ChpEng (12-13-20)
Old 12-13-20, 08:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by ChpEng
Is there any new guidance on the TIS for the 2011+ 9-bar oil temperature gauge?

Table for 2008-2010 oil temp gauge, from other thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...f-oil-temp.gif
I wish. No there isn't that I can find.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
ChpEng (12-13-20), Eurofreak (01-17-21)
Old 12-15-20, 11:59 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardrvin
I couldn't find a detailed chart like the 08-10 chart indicates. There's a comment that it'll start flashing all of the bars once you exceed 284 which seems to match previous.

Lobuxracer is correct. One or two bars isn't of much concern. Once you get up to 6 and beyond, I'd start to question it. If you're really comfortable with the car, have enough tire, you can achieve that in 20 minute sessions.

I personally run 0W-40 M1 in about everything. If I'm tracking during the hottest parts of summer, I'll blend in 15W-50. Yes, there are better oils out there. But I like going into Walmart and picking up a gallon for $24.

Don't show up to the track on 3,500 mile old oil. Don't run at the track on a fresh oil change and decide to leave it in there for another 5K if you ran it up to 6 bars.
Whats your rule of thumb on oil changes? Do you change it for the track, then change after?

Quick Reply: First time tracking the F...