IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Q50 Redsport or stick with ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-20, 05:27 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

There is zero reason to be worried about putting pistons in with your skill level. It makes zero sense to pay someone 10k to do it. It’s also a toy, so if it sits for six months while you play with the block, there’s no issue. I have watched your build. You pay attention. Just don’t rush it. You also MAY NOT need to build it anyway. It’s a crap shoot.

Im going off memory, but they are either 7 or 10 pounds with the padding and leather. I did it wrong, in that I bought the planted bases, which were miles from actually fitting the car. I then bought commercial grade (delivery truck) recaro sliders. All in all... I think the weight with base, sliders, side mounts, etc. was either 22 or 25 pounds all in. My sliders ARE HEAVY. I went that route because I found them cheap, and wanted them to survive a catastrophic wreck. I didn’t write the weight down. I found reports that oem seats are 60 and 65 pounds. I didnt weigh mine because I didn’t have a decent scale.

If I did it over again, recaro sells a full bolt in slider kit for the japanese spec IS line, and it fits our cars from my research. It would be lighter and much less hassle. I still may buy them eventually. Mine are solid, but they weigh a lot, and the planted brackets didn’t fit my car for crap. I had to modify them.

I have contemplated some aftermarket recaros in my daily now. After sitting about 2-3 inches lower, it makes the car feel so much more spacious. I also gained about 3 inches of rear leg room. My ISF has GSF room in it now. I want to do the same to my daily, but with seats that recline in that one. It’s like buying a bigger car for inside space if you buy the correct seats.

I personally would keep the F, but I also will keep mine forever. If I get a bit bored, I’ll switch the car itself up. It’s paid for. I do get beat at the drag strip some, but IDC, because I truly feel that my car is the best one ever made. That’s also why I don’t mind doing things like high end seats, carbon roof, and TTX coils. My car will just slowly get lighter as cars get heavier. We have one of the rare cars that will essentially stay reliable for decades if maintained. You can’t say that about many cars.

One word of caution. I can tell your like me. You tend to buy most mods for a car, and the high end ones at that. You may have 20k in your car already. Learn from that. It means you’ll put the same 20k in your next car as well. So count the cost of the car, the power you want, and all the random stuff you bought for the ISF. That’s your finished price. Wheels, high end coils, carbon shaft... you would be starting over. That same calculation actually makes me happier with my car. It’s such a bargain at that point, because you already own it all.

Last edited by Jwconeil; 12-30-20 at 05:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jwconeil:
Vitveet (12-30-20), vraa (12-30-20)
Old 12-30-20, 08:26 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 347 Likes on 219 Posts

@Jwconeil You’re right. I know if I got any other car I would dump the same or maybe even more money into it then I did in my ISF. With mine being paid off as well even if I’m not buying anything I’m saving since I don’t have car payments. How do your seats fit in the car? Do they hit the pillars? Price?
Old 12-30-20, 08:43 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

what u need its a weekend car , keep the ISF daily and haul *** grocery lolz, chores, weekend beast for super fun Cali Canyons, midnite is the perfect time for it , even better when its fullmoon also
The following users liked this post:
minator (12-30-20)
Old 12-30-20, 09:29 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
@Jwconeil You’re right. I know if I got any other car I would dump the same or maybe even more money into it then I did in my ISF. With mine being paid off as well even if I’m not buying anything I’m saving since I don’t have car payments. How do your seats fit in the car? Do they hit the pillars? Price?
They fit as if designed for the car. Zero clearance issues. There is a seller on eBay now selling brand new carbon recaro ABE for 2k a piece. They aren’t leather, but I believe you can upgrade to leather for a price. You can go non carbon for cheaper, but I recommend the carbon for the awesome factor. You have to buy out of country, these aren’t sold in America because they aren’t road approved here. Recaro is German anyway, I believe, so not an issue. No safety issues, just aren’t DOT approved, but they are road approved in other countries such as Germany and the UK. Just search Recaro ABE. They are pole position seats, but wider around the base for more thigh and buckle room. Hence the reason they sell in road cars. Easier to get in and buckle up.

The bolt in Recaro sliders are 600 for a set from Japan. Not cheap, but honestly worth it and not much more than piecing together planted brackets and Recaro sliders. Don’t buy any sliders but Recaro. I tried other brands. Recaro has less slop in the slider rails. The planted offset side mounts are awesome, and necessary regardless of whether you use rails or not. My seats feel solid and like they were Oem, even with sliders.

A very worthy upgrade. If you were local, you could check mine out. PM me if you want videos, pics, more info. Happy to help.
vraa (12-30-20)
Old 12-30-20, 09:36 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Could you share the ebay link? I searched for the term you suggested and it's 900$ per seat, or ~1700$ for a pair, just wanted to make sure I'm searching for the right terms you mentioned

I'd also like a part number if you could, for the sliders - to ensure exact match

What an informative thread!
Old 12-30-20, 03:45 PM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
He built it, but is now running a used OEM engine. I do not know what went wrong with his built engine.

Maybe he can chime in with details.
I would love to hear from him. For some reason I thought he put the SC kit on, then built his motor. I would be sad to hear he built it and then it broke again...not what anyone is looking for with those price tags.

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
@Patton6964 With what I’ve spent so far it will be way beyond 42k lol. I spent 23k buying mine bone stock. I do want to SC it and build it but I just don’t want reliability to go down the drain.
I hear you. I would want to know if I spent 20k to build the motor & SC it, it would last afterwards without worrying.

I'd probably be all-in at 50k with all my current mods, a rebuild, and SC kit. Still not bad for something that is super unique and rare, again if you can keep the reliability factory.

Scott610 (12-31-20)
Old 12-30-20, 03:53 PM
clarkkubia
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget Infiniti completely... The last well built ones they made were the 94-96 Q45’s.
i have a 96 Q bought from new and the only problem is to find techs that know how to work on them No one at any Infiniti service knows what they are doing
Old 12-30-20, 05:13 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Just out of curiosity, I've been dealing with same Lexus dealership for 15yrs. I have great relationships with service Mgr. They have installed headers for CL members suspension exhaust aftermarket bushings etc. And they have warranty all their work. I've never seen Lexus dealership do so much aftermarket mod work at fair market price not usual Lexus tax. I'm going to ask him if they would install a set of aftermarket forged pistons.
Old 12-30-20, 05:58 PM
nvsaccord
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Just out of curiosity, I've been dealing with same Lexus dealership for 15yrs. I have great relationships with service Mgr. They have installed headers for CL members suspension exhaust aftermarket bushings etc. And they have warranty all their work. I've never seen Lexus dealership do so much aftermarket mod work at fair market price not usual Lexus tax. I'm going to ask him if they would install a set of aftermarket forged pistons.
Dam, I wish my lexus dealership was like that.
Old 12-30-20, 08:58 PM
Jwconeil

I was pretty bummed to see it didn’t come with forged pistons stock. When Yamaha and Toyota collaborate, it’s not unusual for everything to be forged. This would be a very, very solid engine with some nice Mahle forged pistons.
Old 12-31-20, 07:50 AM
GadgetDude
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am an SUV person and switched to the one of the rare Infiniti QX70s with the 5 liter V8 because of the really great performance which Lexus does not have in any SUV. I got it because of the reasonable price to buy and maintain.
It had lots of problems the the Infiniti which I never have with Toyota / Lexus products. The most serious of which was the electronically controlled all wheel drive not engaging the front axle unexpectedly at times on a hard takeoff causing me to spin out and the skid control saying I was in a skid on a left turn across traffic when I found and opening and I wasn't in a skid and stopping the car in the middle of the oncoming lanes. The dealer kept saying they checked it and would say "The computer says you don't have a problem" and they would send me away.
At 40K miles I traded back for a slow but extremely reliable Lexus GX460.
I really hope Lexus comes out with a fast SUV like they keep teasing.
winterturb (12-31-20)
Old 12-31-20, 08:11 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 347 Likes on 219 Posts

Would have been great if they came with forged pistons. That would have been the icing on the cake. As far as Lexus suvs they are coming out with one that has a 5.7 V8. It’s the 2021 LX.
Old 12-31-20, 09:05 AM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by vraa
Could you share the ebay link? I searched for the term you suggested and it's 900$ per seat, or ~1700$ for a pair, just wanted to make sure I'm searching for the right terms you mentioned

I'd also like a part number if you could, for the sliders - to ensure exact match

What an informative thread!
Ok. I had to dig around, but here they are. I encourage the use of our vendors, who may be able to get the seats. I could only find one company that would get me the sliders, which are Recaro Japan made, not Recaro Germany. I have not dealt with that company. I saw some complaints on instragram of people waiting forever for parts... but it’s coming from Japan and made to order, so your talking months, not weeks, to obtain. I bought Volks, so I know all about made to order japanese parts. They take a while.

The carbon seat is here. This is no joke, the same seat that BMW put in the euro spec M4 GTS. A set of those can sell for 12-15k... so buying directly from Recaro is a steal. See the car and driver article on the 2016 MY M4 GTS and look at the pictures. These have a cloth cover, not leather.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223937488492

Here is the non-carbon version in leather. The non-carbon version came in the euro spec AMG GTR. I saw a set of those on ebay listed for above 15k when I was shopping for mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223741921460

Another option... no carbon or leather. They come in various formats from Recaro.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222759643009

Please do your research, as I don’t know any of these eBay vendors and have not bought from them.

The sliders are new waters for us. I’ve never seen them used on an American isf, but I talked to Nengun and researched it, and feel pretty confident they will fit. I believe they are direct bolt in for our car, and kick myself for not going that route. I had an actual picture of the sliders with our part number, and they were simple and looked way lighter than going with a planted base. I can’t find that picture now. You will still need side mounts.

This is a similar pic, but these aren’t our part numbers. They are a similar design. A slider made to bolt to the floor of our cars.

Here are the part numbers. I will buy these for my isf one day, and transfer my current sliders to my is350 with aftermarket seats just for interior room. That said, my seats are solid, and I’m in no hurry to mod them. I have some other priorities first. So if you buy these, please document and share with us if they work well. I think they will work, but nobody has ever put them in a US ISF and documented it online. I looked thoroughly. So please understand I am not guaranteeing a fit.

minator (12-31-20)
Old 01-07-21, 08:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,464 Posts

Looks like those side rails are 15 to 17 lbs. They definitely fit: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-for-isf.html

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-07-21 at 08:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Jwconeil (01-09-21), vraa (01-08-21)
Old 01-08-21, 11:35 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

damn 15 to 17 lbs each lolz not much weight saving lolz, stick to 2012 alcantanra seats or 2014 OEM ISF
The following 2 users liked this post by ISF4life:
MileHIFcar (01-08-21), Positron (01-08-21)

Quick Reply: Q50 Redsport or stick with ISF?