IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Supercharged Issues Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21, 07:16 PM
ThatOneIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimase
I'd start looking at fuel, do you have a fuel pressure gauge? a clogged fuel filter, or a fuel pump on it way out, or even a fuel pump regulator... can you log throttle position is the curve smooth or does it cut out?
Lately I’ve noticed at cold starts the car will hiccup and do a misfire a couple of times initially before it goes away when RPM’s drop. When this happens the there is a putt putt sound coming out of the exhaust. Would you say this is fuel?
Old 01-30-21, 04:13 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Default I’m supercharged as well

When I use to use e85 I had issues but some people that uses it don’t . I’m running methanol tune now and only recently doing like 130mph went into limp mode rpms dropped and when I hit the gas it was struggling to go faster or over 40-50 . Codes came up with P0102 mass or volume airflow A circuit low . Come to think about it . This happen to me too as well on e85 engine shake and I had to pull over reset the codes and turn it on and drove home but same situation engine shake rpms dropp and wouldn’t go over a certain rpm and that time cel was flashing . Now I got a rebuild from Cracking my pistons ring from using e85 mix tuned . Haven’t had the problem happen again because Rafi cleared the p0102 code . But keep me posted on your findings
Old 01-30-21, 09:24 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott610
When I use to use e85 I had issues but some people that uses it don’t . I’m running methanol tune now and only recently doing like 130mph went into limp mode rpms dropped and when I hit the gas it was struggling to go faster or over 40-50 . Codes came up with P0102 mass or volume airflow A circuit low . Come to think about it . This happen to me too as well on e85 engine shake and I had to pull over reset the codes and turn it on and drove home but same situation engine shake rpms dropp and wouldn’t go over a certain rpm and that time cel was flashing . Now I got a rebuild from Cracking my pistons ring from using e85 mix tuned . Haven’t had the problem happen again because Rafi cleared the p0102 code . But keep me posted on your findings
So Scott, to be clear. You got an RR kit, broke the engine, rebuilt it with RR, switched to meth, and still have issues at high speeds?
Old 01-30-21, 01:54 PM
Scott610
Advanced

Yes but only happen 1 time after rebuild haven’t happen again yet hopefully never again. I’ll drive it again soon but not this week or today busy and we’re supposed to get snow too . It could’ve been anything so I really can’t put blame on anyone but Rafi got rid of the code so it won’t come back.
Old 01-30-21, 05:49 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Keep us posted. If all he did was clear a code, then no issue was actually addressed.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jwconeil:
Joe Z (01-30-21), patillac (11-25-22), Scott610 (01-31-21)
Old 01-30-21, 08:12 PM
ThatOneIS
Driver School Candidate

I plan on getting the car checked out next week and report back what I find. Thanks to everyone on the thread so far!
Old 01-30-21, 08:21 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

I've been driving the Lexus IS models for over 20 years...

I know nobody likes hearing this, but these ECUs / Engines are just NOT made to be Turbo'd, Supercharged or Tuned for that matter.. Period.

Something ALWAYS happens that ends either in catastrophe or dipping into the piggy bank way more after the product was installed..

I'm nobody's fool.

Joe Z
The following 3 users liked this post by Joe Z:
ChpEng (01-30-21), Jwconeil (01-30-21), LexusfanVA (02-03-21)
Old 01-30-21, 08:34 PM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I've been driving the Lexus IS models for over 20 years...

I know nobody likes hearing this, but these ECUs / Engines are just NOT made to be Turbo'd, Supercharged or Tuned for that matter.. Period.

Something ALWAYS happens that ends either in catastrophe or dipping into the piggy bank way more after the product was installed..

I'm nobody's fool.

Joe Z
The results are way too inconsistent, at best. My car hated the tune. It runs a 25 KCLV with the OEM tune and intake, so there is nothing wrong with the car. Runs like a champ now.

If you want reliability and speed: headers, exhaust, and weight loss are your friend. I’m seeing a growing number of people looking for OEM intakes to go back to stock.
The following users liked this post:
Joe Z (01-30-21)
Old 01-31-21, 09:20 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm FBO with the intake and tune from RR for about 2 years now. Not a single issue.

I agree though. It seems like there is more issues coming to light with tunes and boost.

Ive been on the fence about getting a supercharger, the more I read the more I'm leaning towards not doing it.
mike33 (02-01-21)
Old 01-31-21, 09:21 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 346 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
The results are way too inconsistent, at best. My car hated the tune. It runs a 25 KCLV with the OEM tune and intake, so there is nothing wrong with the car. Runs like a champ now.

If you want reliability and speed: headers, exhaust, and weight loss are your friend. I’m seeing a growing number of people looking for OEM intakes to go back to stock.
I’ve had zero issues with my FBO + tune ISF. Been like that for 5 years now. I have RR’s intake as well with not a single hiccup. Best time for me on street tires has been a 12.0 and my highest trap speed has been 119.45mph. That’s with 145k miles on the original engine and trans. Seeing others have issues though makes me delay getting the SC kit. I also know Clayton had his engine built by RR and after some time he had to pull it out and swap a junkyard engine in. Who knows who’s to blame for that but it makes me not want to have mine built either.
Scott610 (01-31-21)
Old 01-31-21, 09:39 AM
Jwconeil

Have you guys monitored data before and after tune?

My car ran on the tune. It was my OCD in not seeing the numbers that I expected that led me to data monitoring that revealed the timing discrepancy. It seems common for people to throw tunes in their cars and never log or monitor data. I’m not saying that’s the case with you. ISFpowered probably has daily data logs for 5 years, knowing him lol. If you think about the oem intake design, it’s hard to imagine one can be better. The fact that you are supposed to dyno your aftermarket intake with the lid off is interesting. I wonder if the comparison dyno for the oem intake also had the lid off?
Old 01-31-21, 09:44 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 346 Likes on 218 Posts

For the most part it’s been consistent. Having to run 91 octane sucks though. Whenever I have octane booster or mix 100 with 91 it feels SOO much better and I get a lot more timing out of it.
Positron (01-31-21)
Old 01-31-21, 09:52 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Have you guys monitored data before and after tune?

My car ran on the tune. It was my OCD in not seeing the numbers that I expected that led me to data monitoring that revealed the timing discrepancy. It seems common for people to throw tunes in their cars and never log or monitor data. I’m not saying that’s the case with you. ISFpowered probably has daily data logs for 5 years, knowing him lol. If you think about the oem intake design, it’s hard to imagine one can be better. The fact that you are supposed to dyno your aftermarket intake with the lid off is interesting. I wonder if the comparison dyno for the oem intake also had the lid off?
In my eyes there was ONE that was always better...

Often imitated but never duplicated

Joe Z
Old 01-31-21, 07:03 PM
ThatOneIS
Driver School Candidate

Today when I tried starting the car it cranked once and paused for a whole second as if the car died before cranking again and starting. This was the first time it ever did this. Does this sound like a fuel issue?

Also, If ignition coils go bad they usually throw a CEL right?
Old 01-31-21, 09:09 PM
Scott610
Advanced

Originally Posted by ThatOneIS
Today when I tried starting the car it cranked once and paused for a whole second as if the car died before cranking again and starting. This was the first time it ever did this. Does this sound like a fuel issue?

Also, If ignition coils go bad they usually throw a CEL right?
How old is your battery ??

Quick Reply: Supercharged Issues Please Help!