IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Supercharged Issues Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 02:11 PM
ThatOneIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcguy
i have an sc isf and diagnosed multiple issues and installed myself. The maf is extremely sensitive. Check all of your piping and connections even the smallest leak will cause mayhem. Make sure your BOV is set correctly and is functioning properly, test the boost air line to the bov and make sure it is clear. A bad maf sensor will cause a ton of bogging issues as well. If you fixed a leak, reset your ecu the fueling will be all over the place when its used to a running with a leak. If rafi sent you a map to correct the issue might want to go back to a base map without any revisions. Did the shop need to extend the wires for the maf when it was installed? I would check their work, if its crimped or soldered poorly that will make a voltage drop in the readout of the maf sensor. Im going to bet on an air/boost leak somewhere and it makes sense that it has gotten worse over time. If you have an air oil separator even a tiny leak from that will cause multiple issues and difficult to diagnose as its a vacuum.
I just ordered a new denso MAF and I値l check out the wiring for it once I put it in. I did also reset the ECU by flashing back to the stock SC tune and after a few miles the car no longer cruises lean. The problem still persist though if I give the car too much gas.
Old 02-02-21, 08:27 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatOneIS
I just ordered a new denso MAF and I値l check out the wiring for it once I put it in. I did also reset the ECU by flashing back to the stock SC tune and after a few miles the car no longer cruises lean. The problem still persist though if I give the car too much gas.
Usually after a reset I slowly let the car learn the fueling. Using light throttle lower rpm, then move up to medium throttle mid rpms, then last, full throttle to redline. The fueling tables are set/assumed by RR but they have alot they need to learn from various throttle inputs with the long term fuel trims and short term trims... Unsure about the 3is but im sure a reset and and a wot isnt going to fair out too well without learning over the course of 100 mi and slowly working your way up. If you have a k&n filter, the oil can dirty up your maf if its over oiled (learned the hard way) Glad you ordered one up, its one of those things that go overlooked but it痴 incredibly crucial to proper fueling.
The following users liked this post:
ThatOneIS (02-03-21)
Old 02-03-21, 09:57 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I've had RR Racing mods on my car for years and zero issues as well as my friend who has their SC kit and had zero issues with his kit. But by all means go ahead and get a supercharger from another vendor and let us know how everything goes with the reliability of their kit? Curious minds would like to know🤔
I know 3 people locally with SC F's, one RCF has been down for over a year with issues and retuning. Another RCF with street kit couldn't pull on my FBO tune ISF. 3 runs, and a retune and 6 runs after that, no better, always 30-100 or 60-120 runs. The last local SC ISF has had no issues, but only drives a few k(if that) a year. No personal experience, but the various old F's having to rebuild their engines with SC are not common but still happen every so often though I know it's only a fraction of F owners. Same thing goes for the air oil separator, it has been more than a bunch of people experiencing leaks and issues having a newer version come out. Similar thing with the tuned intake, where I experienced bogging issues issues and was not the only one who saw no real world benefit with it. Hell, even the whole USRS vs FIGS debate, any sort of negative mention of NVH and people would go Apple/Samsung or Chevy/Ford crazy.

Politics and personal beefs aside, RR makes some good products, but at some point I question the instant fanboy reactions on negative reviews on their products. ...Issues come up, the way you should be judged is on how you fix those issues. From what I've seen I can't recommend the SC to anyone who is expecting Lexus reliability with those parts.
Old 02-03-21, 12:06 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
I know 3 people locally with SC F's, one RCF has been down for over a year with issues and retuning. Another RCF with street kit couldn't pull on my FBO tune ISF. 3 runs, and a retune and 6 runs after that, no better, always 30-100 or 60-120 runs. The last local SC ISF has had no issues, but only drives a few k(if that) a year. No personal experience, but the various old F's having to rebuild their engines with SC are not common but still happen every so often though I know it's only a fraction of F owners. Same thing goes for the air oil separator, it has been more than a bunch of people experiencing leaks and issues having a newer version come out. Similar thing with the tuned intake, where I experienced bogging issues issues and was not the only one who saw no real world benefit with it. Hell, even the whole USRS vs FIGS debate, any sort of negative mention of NVH and people would go Apple/Samsung or Chevy/Ford crazy.

Politics and personal beefs aside, RR makes some good products, but at some point I question the instant fanboy reactions on negative reviews on their products. ...Issues come up, the way you should be judged is on how you fix those issues. From what I've seen I can't recommend the SC to anyone who is expecting Lexus reliability with those parts.
Not everyone posts their experience with their mods on Club Lexus. People tend to post more negative than positive experiences in regards to products on the internet via social media or forums in general. My post wasn't a fanboy reaction it was my experience with my mods and of the SC ISF that I brought up has been relatively painless minus some re-tunes to get the proper A/F correct for our altitude here and dialed in correctly.

If everyone who has had beef or issues with RR Racing and their products can and should find another vendor that will support their endeavors to their liking. For me I've had zero issues with my mods and am glad to be a customer of RR Racing. BTW I've bought from both Figs and RR so no allegiance to either in my view and I would suspect that's true for a lot of other Lexus owners as well.

Point being in my previous post was if people have had issues with the SC from RR Racing they need to find another vendor and let us know how their experience is with forced induction on the 2UR-GSE platform with some real world testing and long term results because the community would probably love to have another option as far as aftermarket choices
The following users liked this post:
GR8WHITE (06-11-22)
Old 02-03-21, 01:06 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

No politics here or anywhere else on CL. Sorry, it's the rules and it keeps us from rabbit holing good information.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-03-21 at 03:49 PM. Reason: No politics.
Old 02-03-21, 03:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Team CL - this thread is about the original poster's request. It did not include a discussion about politics of any kind, and doesn't need any. Any subsequent posts including politics will be deleted with extreme prejudice.
The following 4 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Jwconeil (02-03-21), LexusfanVA (02-04-21), ThatOneIS (02-03-21), vraa (02-03-21)
Old 02-09-21, 04:06 PM
ThatOneIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I知 happy to report that it was a vacuum leak the whole time and now the car hits boost like no tomorrow! Thanks to everyone for the help I really appreciate you all!
The following 5 users liked this post by ThatOneIS:
GR8WHITE (06-11-22), ISF4TW (02-18-22), LexusfanVA (02-10-21), MileHIFcar (02-09-21), vraa (02-09-21)
Old 02-09-21, 09:39 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Vacuum leaks can cause weird CELs to come on for sure! Glad you got yours figured out and are enjoying your SC😎
Old 02-09-21, 10:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Vacuum leaks can cause weird CELs to come on for sure! Glad you got yours figured out and are enjoying your SC😎
Boosted engines don't just have vacuum leaks. They have boost leaks too. AMHIK.
Old 02-10-21, 09:01 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Yea boost leaks I bet can be a PITA as well. Thank goodness the one forced induction car I've had in my lifetime didn't have any boost leaks so I lucked out on that end.