IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

4.0 twin turbo V8....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-21, 07:39 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

lexus sells so few F models I can hardly see them bringing any of them back.

Last edited by winterturb; 02-10-21 at 05:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by winterturb:
jhbarbwire (02-10-21), Yri (02-07-21)
Old 02-06-21, 09:43 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by flowrider
All articles mention fit - It's been done:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-is-500-a.html

Lou
Yeup..!! Plenty of room to shove the existing NA - V8 - 2UR-GSE into a 3IS engine bay...

Heck, a shop down here in SoCal shoved one into an RX350 as well..!!

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything"

Joe Z
The following users liked this post:
PJSnow (02-08-21)
Old 02-07-21, 07:29 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by winterturb
Its crazy how car makers are not following market trends but forced into dumping the ICE due to govt regulations. The very same regulations that are preventing the building of electrical generating plants and dams and slowing upgrades to the grid.

California is all ready on rolling blackouts and converting all cars to electric? Now there’s some deep forethought

I see a disaster coming and will be keeping my ICE’s as long as physically possible

lexus sells so few F models I can hardly see them bringing any of them back.
EVs are pretty trendy in my area. I used to see sports cars in the well off neighborhoods, or big SUVs. Now I see Teslas and maybe the random sports car. I myself will buy an EV, when they come out with one that meets my needs for a price that works.

If you look at it logically, they make sense for a large portion of the population. I drive 20 minutes one way a day. If I owned an EV, I’d plug my car in probably once or twice a week overnight. My electric bill would go up, but overall I’d save on energy bills, and have less maintenance. If solar energy for homes becomes more affordable, then it makes even more sense. Imagine not paying for fuel or electricity again. That’s a pretty big chunk of change, but a massive up front investment to get there. It just doesn’t pay off soon enough at current prices, if ever.

It gets hairier if you drive longer distances often. Current EVs and infrastructure make that difficult in some regions. There are places I simply couldn’t go if I didn’t own an ICE vehicle.
Old 02-07-21, 12:14 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
If it comes in around 4,000 lbs then it's power to weight ratio will be basically what an RCF is currently.....if it comes in arount 3,700 then that would be an upgrade in performance
Unfortunately, the current 2021 IS350 is already at 3700+ lbs so it's likely that the ISF/IS500 variant will be ~4k lbs.
Old 02-07-21, 12:29 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Deleted. Off topic

Last edited by winterturb; 02-10-21 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-07-21, 12:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,970 Likes on 2,502 Posts

I agree with the logic of EVs in congested traffic short distance use.

what I also know is Solar will never be a primary source for the grid. There is NOT enough energy from the sun reaching to earth to make this anywhere near economical. Every solar self powered car goes how far? How fast? And weighs how much? The cost to concentrated that power is astronomical and not commercially viable no matter how hard man tries to make it happen same with wind. The ability to capture the power is not there nor is there enough power to capture.
You should do basic research before saying stuff like this.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2...h=3ff989b2d440

A typical Tesla solar roof installation can power the home and charge a Tesla to full every 4-5 days.
vraa (02-08-21)
Old 02-07-21, 01:00 PM
Jwconeil

Yeah I respectfully disagree as well. Location is key. I live in the woods, in a state with low sunshine, so it isn’t as easy here. I have a friend in Hawaii that pretty much only installs solar panels. He said they pay themselves off in about 5 years there, and then the rest of the life of the panels, your power is free. I’m not sure what the cost of energy is there, but In Indiana it’s low. It doesn’t pay off to go solar here, but elsewhere it does, and long term his customers save money. I don’t know the specific details on costs.

If we all went solar, we would be less dependent on the power grid, not more.

The costs of that tech needs to come down before it can be mainstream, but it’s a viable, long term option.
Old 02-08-21, 07:49 AM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Yeah I respectfully disagree as well. Location is key. I live in the woods, in a state with low sunshine, so it isn’t as easy here. I have a friend in Hawaii that pretty much only installs solar panels. He said they pay themselves off in about 5 years there, and then the rest of the life of the panels, your power is free. I’m not sure what the cost of energy is there, but In Indiana it’s low. It doesn’t pay off to go solar here, but elsewhere it does, and long term his customers save money. I don’t know the specific details on costs.

The costs of that tech needs to come down before it can be mainstream, but it’s a viable, long term option.
This. I'm in the southern part of Indiana and similar. It economically and total electric output is borderline to not logical.

Solar companies will tell you it makes sense about everywhere, but their numbers are based strongly on aggressive electric price increases. If you're considering the investment, take a good look at their numbers and predictions.
Old 02-08-21, 01:03 PM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Yeup..!! Plenty of room to shove the existing NA - V8 - 2UR-GSE into a 3IS engine bay...

Heck, a shop down here in SoCal shoved one into an RX350 as well..!!

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything"

Joe Z
Any photos/videos of that RX350 with the 2UR?!?! Not that I expect Lexus to even consider it, but an RX-F would be interesting to see.
Old 02-08-21, 01:48 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PJSnow
Any photos/videos of that RX350 with the 2UR?!?! Not that I expect Lexus to even consider it, but an RX-F would be interesting to see.
It was at the Lexus F track day a few months ago. I thought I had some pictures of it, but no luck, it was very very clean, looked oem.
Old 02-08-21, 04:57 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

what I also know is Solar will never be a primary source for the grid. There is NOT enough energy from the sun reaching to earth to make this anywhere near economical. Every solar self powered car goes how far? How fast? And weighs how much? The cost to concentrated that power is astronomical and not commercially viable no matter how hard man tries to make it happen same with wind. The ability to capture the power is not there nor is there enough power to capture...
Originally Posted by Jwconeil

Originally Posted by Hardrvin
This. I'm in the southern part of Indiana and similar. It economically and total electric output is borderline to not logical.

Solar companies will tell you it makes sense about everywhere, but their numbers are based strongly on aggressive electric price increases. If you're considering the investment, take a good look at their numbers and predictions.
I'd be curious as to when yall run the numbers last.... I got quoted a 110.96kw system and got near 1.5 to 1.62 cents / watt, price keeps dropping as time goes on, payoff is about 8 years (after factoring in federal tax credits and bonus depreciation) but I have a commercially negotiated electricity price which makes the payoff tough, my electricity from the grid is just so cheap, once that payoff gets below 5 years though, it's a no brainer

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-09-21 at 05:14 PM. Reason: too political
Old 02-08-21, 05:26 PM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by vraa
I'd be curious as to when yall run the numbers last.... I got quoted a 110.96kw system and got near 1.5 to 1.62 cents / watt, price keeps dropping as time goes on, payoff is about 8 years (after factoring in federal tax credits and bonus depreciation) but I have a commercially negotiated electricity price which makes the payoff tough, my electricity from the grid is just so cheap, once that payoff gets below 5 years though, it's a no brainer
I hadn’t done the math on this for a while (few years). I had wanted to do it still, but then I found my dream home with 100% tree coverage, and zero sunlight hits my roof. I still believe it’s a big part of the future, but I’m not at a point that I want to deforest my property just to have solar, when Indiana electricity is very cheap.
vraa (02-08-21)
Old 02-08-21, 06:33 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Deleted. Off topic

Last edited by winterturb; 02-10-21 at 06:01 PM.
sunamer (02-09-21)
Old 02-08-21, 06:53 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Deleted off topic

Last edited by winterturb; 02-10-21 at 06:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by winterturb:
Lend0 (02-09-21), vraa (02-08-21)
Old 02-08-21, 07:46 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Toyota/Lexus is kind of slow to release "cutting edge" engine tech, and with the industry all heading towards EVs, I don't think the Toyota 4L V8TT will ever be released.
I remember reading about the same 4L V8TT coming into the GSF back in 2017, 4 years later, still "in the works" and the GS is now discontinued in the US.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/lexus-is-going-all-german-with-a-40-litre-592bhp-twin-turbo-v8/
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/08/08/more-rumors-on-the-lexus-twin-turbo-4-0l-v8-engine/

Don't be holding your breaths for this engine, I'm not.....
4L v8 might get released the same way 5L v8 was. These are not bread and butter models, but they are needed to raise the prestige and to show off tech standing of the brand.

Quick Reply: 4.0 twin turbo V8....