IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

4.0 twin turbo V8....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-21, 02:42 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 4.0 twin turbo V8....

According to this article, it seems not likely the ISF will return but a 4.0 twin turbo V8 being confirmed and most likely to be in an LC and/or LS version. If this is going to happen, it should happen sooner then later. Electric vehicles will soon be the only new vehicles to purchase in the state of California..... and by that time, I may consider Florida as my next residency....

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/amp35429633/2022-lexus-is-f-lc-f/
Old 02-05-21, 02:58 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 81 Posts

In related news; I came across this article that was linked to somewhere else (translate to English and scroll down about halfway down the page)

https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/243049

For those of you who dont want to click on the link, I copied and pasted it. Not sure if there's any truth to this.

Lexus high-performance model, sports model bearing the name of "F" appears one after another. The F model not only has power-ups, but also has chassis performance commensurate with its power.

The IS F will be revived in a way that replaces the already discontinued GS F. The domestic D-segment sports model surpasses the Skyline 400R First of all, "IS F" set in the previous IS will be revived. The base "IS" has just implemented the Big Maichen, but the IS F will be fully revived based on that Maichen model. The power train is the V8, 5L DOHC installed in the "RC F", which delivers 481ps / 54.6kgm.

The first F model as an LS will appear. At the heart of it is a newly developed V8, 4L twin-turbo engine that accelerates the LS approaching 2500kg. Then, "F" will finally appear in the flagship saloon "LS". The newly developed V8, 4L twin turbo is prepared for the body of the large "LS F". It is a radical sports unit that squeezes 670ps / 66.3kgm, and its rivals include the Mercedes-Benz "S63AMG" armed with a 612ps V8 and 4L twin turbo, and the BMW "M760Li" with a 609ps V12 and 6.6L twin turbo.

Extreme is mixed with the elegant style of the base LC. It's powerful! The last is the flagship sports coupe "LC F". It is equipped with a newly developed V8 and 4L twin turbo that boasts 670ps / 66.3kgm like the LS F. The chassis is thoroughly tuned according to the power, and 21-inch tires are worn with double-joint multi-link suspension. The suspension upper mounting structure of cast aluminum is adopted to improve the rigidity of the car body.
Old 02-05-21, 03:24 PM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
According to this article, it seems not likely the ISF will return but a 4.0 twin turbo V8 being confirmed and most likely to be in an LC and/or LS version. If this is going to happen, it should happen sooner then later. Electric vehicles will soon be the only new vehicles to purchase in the state of California..... and by that time, I may consider Florida as my next residency....

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/am...xus-is-f-lc-f/
Thankfully Cali is only 1 of 50 better states to live in. Amazing how much damage Newsome has done lol.

I do hope for a new ISF but lexus really needs to release that TTv8 if they want to compete in the luxury performance trim.
Old 02-05-21, 07:08 PM
KenISF
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Road & Track is reporting the same with a new ISF with a 5.0 V8 and the LS-F/LC-F getting the 4.0 TTV8.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...xus-is-f-lc-f/

Old 02-05-21, 09:04 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't see Lexus building IS-F on current gen 3 IS body. This body style has been in production now for 7yrs. Its now past typical 7yr run Lexus does with its cars. This Gen 3 look fantastic handles better just better sorted out car. I see them keeping this current Gen 3 design at most 3 more yrs. I don't see Lexus investing into limited product car to begin with that may only have 3 yr left in this current Gen 3 body. Let see if they even bring back Gen 4 IS model,, with sedan sale growing ever smaller. If IS-F is brought back in would be in Gen4 IS body with sorted chassis and handling that was purposely built like M4. It may have resemblance to Gen4 on out side but everything else would be totally different car. Lets wait and see, Lexus is conservative company. And sports cars don't make most mainstream car companies money. Lexus board of directors are interested in maximize profits. Lexus is geared towards American market, And American are purchasing more small to midsized SUV than sedans, and that where there focus is hybrid and electric cars. IS/IS-F may or may not come back. GS/GS-F is D.O.A, that just leaves RC and LC500 remaining as there sport focused vehicles.
Old 02-05-21, 09:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,342 Posts

In 14 years no more ICEs:

https://europe.autonews.com/automake...electric-plans

and

Remember when the rumor was this:

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2020/08/...-lexus-models/

Lou

Old 02-06-21, 06:10 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Toyota/Lexus is kind of slow to release "cutting edge" engine tech, and with the industry all heading towards EVs, I don't think the Toyota 4L V8TT will ever be released.
I remember reading about the same 4L V8TT coming into the GSF back in 2017, 4 years later, still "in the works" and the GS is now discontinued in the US.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/lexus-is-going-all-german-with-a-40-litre-592bhp-twin-turbo-v8/
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/08/08/more-rumors-on-the-lexus-twin-turbo-4-0l-v8-engine/

Don't be holding your breaths for this engine, I'm not.....
Old 02-06-21, 06:48 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

They have to invest billions into EV to remain competitive and be able to continue to sale cars into the 2030s. There is A LOT of money going into EVs. That’s not to say they won’t make some nice ICE cars, but the focus is shifting away from ICE.

There is a silver living though, ICE is much faster and easier to maintain. In 15 years, cars running 9-10s from the factory won’t even be a big deal.
Old 02-06-21, 08:00 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...xus-is-f-lc-f/

Just popped up in my email this morning. I am skeptical but here it is ^^^^
Old 02-06-21, 10:27 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
They have to invest billions into EV to remain competitive and be able to continue to sale cars into the 2030s. There is A LOT of money going into EVs. That’s not to say they won’t make some nice ICE cars, but the focus is shifting away from ICE.

There is a silver living though, ICE is much faster and easier to maintain. In 15 years, cars running 9-10s from the factory won’t even be a big deal.
I think you meant EV will be running 9's and easier to maintain?
Old 02-06-21, 10:38 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
I think you meant EV will be running 9's and easier to maintain?

Yep. Thanks for checking me. SMH at myself.
Old 02-06-21, 10:58 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,342 Posts

All articles mention fit - It's been done:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-is-500-a.html

Lou
Old 02-06-21, 12:32 PM
Toprawman
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 41 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it. We have been disappointed before.
Old 02-06-21, 01:19 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

It probably has already been posted, but here is another picture I found online of the blue IS F without the ground effects and custom rims, and I have no idea if any of these comeback rumors are true or not so take it for what it is worth.

To me, this pic looks like a Gen 2 IS F with a Gen 3 facelift. Looks like the same Gen 2 IS F rims and body curves minus the vented hood, but one would think if a Gen 3 is true, it will have the latest technologies in power, cabin and chassis (at least for Lexus anyways). I also noticed this IS F has the same funky color offset for the side mirrors as they did with the GSF so somebody put some thought into this in my opinion...

Last edited by mr2dave; 02-08-21 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-06-21, 03:06 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

If it comes in around 4,000 lbs then it's power to weight ratio will be basically what an RCF is currently.....if it comes in arount 3,700 then that would be an upgrade in performance
The following 2 users liked this post by MileHIFcar:
lobuxracer (02-06-21), Yri (02-07-21)

Quick Reply: 4.0 twin turbo V8....