IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

CA Smog Test now including checking for ECU Tunes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-21, 06:51 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF4life
Mr Benjamins will passes anything
On a long enough timeline, that may be limited as well. As things crack down in Cali and elsewhere, the fines for non-compliance and fraud will increase. Eventually, the risk will be too high for anyone in that field to take on.
Old 03-28-21, 09:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

When I lived in Sacramento, I saw a Gestapo raid on a smog shop in the Sac metro area. No joke, busted down the doors, full auto weapons drawn in full SWAT gear, and they bragged about making an example of this shop for passing sketchy cars. Crazy but real and a significant part of why I live in Georgia now.
The following users liked this post:
vraa (03-28-21)
Old 03-29-21, 01:03 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
When I lived in Sacramento, I saw a Gestapo raid on a smog shop in the Sac metro area. No joke, busted down the doors, full auto weapons drawn in full SWAT gear, and they bragged about making an example of this shop for passing sketchy cars. Crazy but real and a significant part of why I live in Georgia now.
There must have been more going on at the shop then the proprietor simply "passing sketchy cars!" A fine and certification loss are the common punishments. The guy must have been involved in some other kind of vice as well, like prostitution, drugs, trafficing. Maybe he was offering a happy ending in the private waiting area at the back of the shop, along with one's smog certification!
Old 03-29-21, 02:16 PM
Jwconeil

With the environmental / political climate, I wouldn’t be surprised if we are headed there simply for passing sketchy cars eventually. I think the days are numbered that a couple hundred bucks will get a car with no cats through. Maybe I’m wrong though.
Old 03-29-21, 04:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
There must have been more going on at the shop then the proprietor simply "passing sketchy cars!" A fine and certification loss are the common punishments. The guy must have been involved in some other kind of vice as well, like prostitution, drugs, trafficing. Maybe he was offering a happy ending in the private waiting area at the back of the shop, along with one's smog certification!
You would think. No, not the case. The guy looked like he was crapping his pants in the video. I hated smog checks in Sacramento. I really think CARB decided Sacramento needed extra compliance. My Supra was always required to go to a test only station even though it never once failed a smog check.
Old 03-30-21, 07:08 AM
Jwconeil

I bet more supras are modified than not. Yours is extra rare because of that. I haven’t seen a stock supra, ever, in person.
Old 03-30-21, 10:22 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

That's y the Gov. Newsom is out
Old 04-01-21, 11:06 PM
cpforyou
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's ask this question another way....

About 8 years ago I had a BMW 335i w/ Cobb Tuning. As we all here are honest, law-abiding citizens, I would tune the vehicle for track use, then flash it back to stock after. I mean, who really needs 400WHP+ on the streets anyways...

Besides the point, the question is, as law-abiding citizen who may want to tune the vehicle for off-road and track purposes only, can it be flashed back to factory, and if so, will it pass or are we saying here it is detected and a fail?

Old 04-02-21, 08:54 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

It sounds like they are saying that the tune must be factory and flashing it back to stock would work.

However the problem comes when folks are modifying the emissions equipment, or modifying the engine so far from stock (heads/cams,etc)(even though it has emissions equipment on it still), that putting the ECU back to stock might not make the car run correctly, or that it would not pass emissions - because the rear after cat 02 sensors have been turned off or "tuned out".
Old 04-02-21, 10:55 AM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by cpforyou
Let's ask this question another way....

About 8 years ago I had a BMW 335i w/ Cobb Tuning. As we all here are honest, law-abiding citizens, I would tune the vehicle for track use, then flash it back to stock after. I mean, who really needs 400WHP+ on the streets anyways...

Besides the point, the question is, as law-abiding citizen who may want to tune the vehicle for off-road and track purposes only, can it be flashed back to factory, and if so, will it pass or are we saying here it is detected and a fail?
Right, the key question is whether "un-marrying" Cobb's AccessPort will restore the original Cal ID and CVN values.

EDIT: Just called Cobb. Answer = Un-marrying the AccessPort will restore the factory ROM in its entirety, including the original ID's.

At one point, Cobb had been pursuing CARB EO certificates for specific maps on specific platforms. Not sure about now.

Last edited by ChpEng; 04-02-21 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added answer from phone call to Kyle @ Cobb
Old 04-12-21, 07:34 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went through this with my 01 Ford lightning. I had the basic mods, CAI, Hight Flow Catted Mid pipe, 6lb crank pulley, ported blower and tune. I finally passed smog after two years. truck is no stock sans Borla muffler. took my longer to find stock CATS, plus state ref was closed for covid and I didn't know it was open until I called to make appointment in February. the state ref confirmed the changes I needed to make and passed smog. I checked my monitors and wasn't sure if all were READY, but still passed.
Old 04-13-21, 08:21 AM
Jwconeil

So you were flagged and had to go almost completely back to stock to pass?
Old 04-17-21, 10:03 AM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

RR tune will pass CA smog on OBD2. The only thing u might not pass is visual for other mods like exhaust, headers...etc. But if the tech is cool on visual u will pass and pay the standard fee. If they are not you give them an extra $40-100 to go get some sushi not to see anything
Old 04-17-21, 10:18 AM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

^Interesting, RRRacing stated it will not pass california smog few post above.
Old 04-18-21, 03:56 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jge3
I can confirm that I just passed CA STAR certified smog (03/06/21) with the RR Racing tuned installed.

FBO with tune for the past 3-4 years
Originally Posted by Jge3
I am FBO with all cats removed. I do not have any O2 conditioners and only installed the O2 extension harness that was supplied with purchase of PPE headers.Hope this info helps!
Nice. Did the smog technician didn't bother doing a visual? & how the heck did the guy not notice the catless smell??

Quick Reply: CA Smog Test now including checking for ECU Tunes!